Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2022, 10:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Another delayed trial.
The Idaho case against Vallow Daybell was first put on hold in 2021 after she was declared incompetent to stand trial and committed to the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare for treatment. Ten months later, she was ruled competent.

Contributing: The Associated Press
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...al/8201917001/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 08:23 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Lori Vallows trial starts here next week. I hope to be in the audience for a few days. Should be interesting

Old 03-27-2023, 08:27 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I expect her to plead insanity. What about Chad?

Old 03-27-2023, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think he goes to trial in the fall. They decided to trial them separately. They also took the death penalty off the table for Lori

Old 04-01-2023, 06:49 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,155,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
There is no insanity plea in Idaho. Plus her attorneys already filed a paper that says they do not intend to bring mental illness into the guilt phase of the trial.

https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/...%20Defense.pdf

Old 04-01-2023, 08:17 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,155,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I think he goes to trial in the fall. They decided to trial them separately. They also took the death penalty off the table for Lori
Do you have your ticket for entry to the courtroom? There aren't many. Apparently it's a pretty small room.

To clarify, the death penalty was removed by the judge because the prosecution failed to turn over discovery in a timely manner. Some of it, including 3,000 jailhouse phone conversations, was a year late. Since Lori didn't waive her right to a speedy trial, the court could not delay the trial while her defense had time to analyze the recently received discovery, so the judge decided to take the death penalty off the table instead.

Old 04-03-2023, 02:38 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Lori Vallows trial starts here next week. I hope to be in the audience for a few days. Should be interesting
Supposedly, the judge didn't allow any TV in the proceedings. I think it would be nice if you could give us some of your thoughts about how the trial is going.

I'm sure there will be some big-time network reporters present, but those guys may not see things happening that an Idahoan can see.

Old 04-03-2023, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Supposedly, the judge didn't allow any TV in the proceedings. I think it would be nice if you could give us some of your thoughts about how the trial is going.

I'm sure there will be some big-time network reporters present, but those guys may not see things happening that an Idahoan can see.
That doesn’t surprise me. The way Idaho reports news here is the worst I’ve ever seen. We had a mass shooter at our indoor mall. It was a year before they would even say what happened

Old 04-08-2023, 08:44 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
That doesn’t surprise me. The way Idaho reports news here is the worst I’ve ever seen. We had a mass shooter at our indoor mall. It was a year before they would even say what happened
Actually, the entire Daybell reportage was the best I've ever seen.

Eastern Idaho News is a really small little news agency. Nate Eaton was it's only reporter 3 years ago, but he was the first reporter who snapped onto the report JJ was thought to be missing, and he was on the story from the first minute.
He found Chad and Lori in Hawaii before the cops knew the couple were there. The rest of the big news media depended on his reportage totally until Lori was behind bars, and then Chad was arrested.

I think that without Nate, the Daybells could have escaped and made a clean getaway.

But the Judge's decision was a poor one. So was the reportage of that indoor mall shooting. But that's not necessarily due to the reporters; if a good reporter has no good information to use, they still have to say something about a big crime.
And that's when the bad speculation and reportage begins. I noticed the cops in Moscow used that blizzard of bad reportage as a way to mask the manhunt for Kohlberger.

When they said nothing, the internet 'sleuths' crazy wild speculations took over the entire news media. Kohlberger must have thought he could get away free once he hit the Pennsylvania border. All he heard and saw had next to nothing about him in it when he was on the road.

Wild or accurate, news reportage of these 2 crimes have really damaged Rexburg and Moscow. Folks are still afraid to go to either town now. Both are very peaceful and pretty. Nice little towns. Always have been nice places.

Goes to show how strong the net influences us all, I guess.

Old 04-11-2023, 11:17 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I listened to the audio stream last night after work. While I wish it was on video, the audio will work for me.

I've been invested in the Daybell Vallow case for 3 years, leaning all the details and all the various parties. It felt almost surreal listening to Kay finally getting a chance to testify, I feel like we all know her by now.

Hoping for justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime