Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 11:41 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,214,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I wish I could rep all your posts. I really do.

I use to see a lot of friction between the SAHMs and the working moms back when I was raising my now-adult children. Now raising my youngest, I don't see so much of that. But the vitriol on the internet from some women against beautiful, successful women is jarring. I think it might be a case of the "haves" against the "have-nots."

But if Bethenny sparks this much hate I wonder if people should be taking that anger and using it as motivation to get out there and do something in this crazy world we live in. Go back to school. Volunteer. Make a difference. But for goodness sakes stop hating on people you don't even know. It's a television show, for crying out loud. Turn it into something positive instead of being miserable. If we all did just a little bit of that this would be a wonderful world to live in.
I know, it always takes me awhile to get to the point where I can rep you again.

I'm glad to hear the real world is changing, I hope the new generation of parents completes the change. Men have always had it all, women should be able to have it all too. We can help each other, get our men to help more, or work on legislative changes, whatever it takes, if we just put the hate energy into something positive the world can change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 AM

1,488 posts, read 2,616,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The bashing of women who have nannies is widespread here, and many other places in our culture. It is regularly implied that women who hire nannies are handing their children to someone else to raise, but that is a very, very, rare case, not the norm by any means. Women need to spend more time supporting each other and less time criticizing. A good nanny can be a wonderful addition to a child's life, no child has ever been hurt by too many people caring for, and teaching things to him/her, having the help of a nanny can give a busy woman more relaxed time to spend with her children.

When I worked as one during college, I got to know tons of women who had nannies, I was always treated as more of a peer because I was in graduate school so I developed friendships with them, and really got to know them. They were all great hands on parents, they were just fortunate enough to have help. Nannies are often there with the mothers, to give them an extra set of eyes, or allow some close time with individual children while the nanny watched the others. It's a luxury not everyone can afford, I understand that can cause resentment, but the answer is not bashing fellow women, we would be better served fighting for better child care, time off from work, or by encouraging men to take more responsibility and give women more help.
and you're very last sentence is the nail in the coffin! (Reps!)

Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:

I use to see a lot of friction between the SAHMs and the working moms back when I was raising my now-adult children. Now raising my youngest, I don't see so much of that. But the vitriol on the internet from some women against beautiful, successful women is jarring. I think it might be a case of the "haves" against the "have-nots."

But if Bethenny sparks this much hate I wonder if people should be taking that anger and using it as motivation to get out there and do something in this crazy world we live in. Go back to school. Volunteer. Make a difference. But for goodness sakes stop hating on people you don't even know. It's a television show, for crying out loud. Turn it into something positive instead of being miserable. If we all did just a little bit of that this would be a wonderful world to live in.
I've given you too many reps--it won't let me anymore lol

Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,529,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The bashing of women who have nannies is widespread here, and many other places in our culture. It is regularly implied that women who hire nannies are handing their children to someone else to raise, but that is a very, very, rare case, not the norm by any means. Women need to spend more time supporting each other and less time criticizing. A good nanny can be a wonderful addition to a child's life, no child has ever been hurt by too many people caring for, and teaching things to him/her, having the help of a nanny can give a busy woman more relaxed time to spend with her children.

When I worked as one during college, I got to know tons of women who had nannies, I was always treated as more of a peer because I was in graduate school so I developed friendships with them, and really got to know them. They were all great hands on parents, they were just fortunate enough to have help. Nannies are often there with the mothers, to give them an extra set of eyes, or allow some close time with individual children while the nanny watched the others. It's a luxury not everyone can afford, I understand that can cause resentment, but the answer is not bashing fellow women, we would be better served fighting for better child care, time off from work, or by encouraging men to take more responsibility and give women more help.
You are taking this all a little too personally. And seem to have no clue what it entails being a parent b/c moms, regardless if they work outside the home or in the home, have busy lives & could always use the help. I've yet to meet a mom who couldn't use help. I am one of them.

I have 3 kids under 5. I don't have, as you wrote, the "luxury" of hiring a nanny but am a SAHM, which to many working women, is a luxury in & of itself. One of my close family members has a live-in nanny. I don't sit around & judge her or the situation. They are a wonderful family.

It's not "resentment". But when Jason is ripped apart for enjoying the lifestyle, it is only fair to hold Bethenny to the same standard saying she is enjoying the lifestylfe also. And she is.

The lifestyle Bethenny & Jason live w/ a baby nurse, a basic 24hr assistant & camera crews all around is not something any of us live.

If you took Bethenny out of that & told her to live like most of us, I do indeed wonder how she would do. I know my SIL says she would go crazy w/o her nanny. She adores her children, but she can't stay w/ them 24/7. Some women are like that & that does not make them poor mothers.

I would like to see how she did w/o the money, w/o the cameras & w/o the help. Oh, & she needs to work. THAT is far more common. It was a fair comment & one I stand behind.

Again, I like Jason & Bethenny & it is evident they love each other & their baby girl. Neither are "bad" parents. Both enjoy the spotlight & probably why their show is so successful. According to Bravo, this show is their biggest money maker.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,671,582 times
Quote:

I think this is a good and positive show, especially compared to the garbage airing on the likes of VH1 and even some of the Bravo shows.

I think Bethenny would be successful with or without nannies and with or without Jason.

Why aren't successful men bashed because they have assistants and wives to handle everything else in their lives...? It smacks of misogyny.

She is a good role model, IMO, and will inspire creativity, etc., in those women who are smart enough to recognize and use it.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:23 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,671,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
It's not "resentment". But when Jason is ripped apart for enjoying the lifestyle, it is only fair to hold Bethenny to the same standard saying she is enjoying the lifestylfe also. And she is.
She is enjoying the fruits of her labor. Jason is enjoying the fruits of her labor.

Quote:
If you took Bethenny out of that & told her to live like most of us, I do indeed wonder how she would do.
She would probably be pretty much like most Americans.

It's like wondering how Jason would be as a father without all the help and Bethenny's money - and fame which has also brought Jason some recognition that he wouldn't have otherwise.

Pretty much a waste of energy to be wondering such things, IMO.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:33 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,084,989 times
Can't see this show being one of Bravo's top rated. The other Housewife shows are better.

Missed the last episode. What happened to her island babysitter?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:50 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,610,571 times
Quote:
I would like to see how she did w/o the money, w/o the cameras & w/o the help. Oh, & she needs to work. THAT is far more common. It was a fair comment & one I stand behind.
On the first season of RHNY Bethenny was struggling financially and in her relationship so you can see how she did. I think she did just fine. She started her business. She worked so she could earn her money.

I'm confused, are you saying she shouldn't have childcare or as you say "help" while working? If she's working obviously she's going to need some type of childcare, whether it's a nanny or daycare. You seem to be implying that this money was dropped on her lap, like a trustfund. She worked hard to make her money. Saying that you wonder what she would do without her money is like saying "what would she do if she wasn't so hard-working?" That's part of her personality. It's a good thing. That's like asking "what would you do if you weren't such a good mom?" I'm sure being a good mom is a defining characteristic of what makes you you. Just like being hard-working is a defining characteristic for her.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Can't see this show being one of Bravo's top rated. The other Housewife shows are better.

She had health issues.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:56 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,652,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post

She didn't say it was the top-rated. She said it was their top money maker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV