Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,670,295 times

Advertisements

I hope this show rates better than the housewives shows because if it doesn't, I don't think it's a good sign for the state of our society.

Those shows are mostly groups of untalented women spending their husband's and ex-husband's money while engaging in petty catfights. Sure, it can be mindless entertainment but the negativity becomes a drag.

It's nice to see something much more positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Those shows are mostly groups of untalented women spending their husband's and ex-husband's money while engaging in petty catfights.
...and throwing lavish parties/shopping/getting plastic surgery then following the airing of the show foreclosing on or short saling their homes.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 AM

1,488 posts, read 2,614,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
...and throwing lavish parties/shopping/getting plastic surgery then following the airing of the show foreclosing on or short saling their homes.
I lol'd

Old 04-25-2011, 10:53 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,522,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
She didn't say it was the top-rated. She said it was their top money maker.
I don't like writing things w/o sourcing, so I will try to find.

RHBH has been Bravo's highest RATED reality based show.
Bethenney has been Bravo's highest money maker. IMakes me wonder where in SkinnyGirl Bravo has a stake.

Anyone know where or how she got the cash flow to start production of SkinnyGirl? It takes cash, so someone or something had to give her a jumpstart. Thr $250K/season from RHNY isn't enough.

It is cool to see how far she has come w/ Skinny Girl. It is in my supermarket & always on display, so there is $$ behind it.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Anyone know where or how she got the cash flow to start production of SkinnyGirl? It takes cash, so someone or something had to give her a jumpstart. Thr $250K/season from RHNY isn't enough.
Gosh, I don't know. Does anyone know?

Maybe the proceeds from 3 best sellers?

Maybe smart investors? When you have a promising idea/product, there is no shortage of investors.

Maybe no investors at all...perhaps that is why production was slow in the beginning.

She recently sold the brand but is still involved in it.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:25 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,522,051 times
Quote:
Gosh, I don't know. Does anyone know?

Maybe the proceeds from 3 best sellers?

Maybe smart investors? When you have a promising idea/product, there is no shortage of investors.

Maybe no investors at all...perhaps that is why production was slow in the beginning.

She recently sold the brand but is still involved in it.
But to get the investment that is needed in the industry she went into is no easy task. It is impressive indeed. She has a background of cooking for some very wellknown people, so her network is probably very extensive.

You gotta have cash. There is a start up cost & even the smallest business needs a direct cash flow.

Wonder why she sold it? It's not been out that long. Interesting. Does she still have a stake in it though? I don't see how she could have made that much off it at this time. I mean she is known, but she is not at the Donald Trump level either.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
But to get the investment that is needed in the industry she went into is no easy task. It is impressive indeed. She has a background of cooking for some very wellknown people, so her network is probably very extensive.

You gotta have cash. There is a start up cost & even the smallest business needs a direct cash flow.

Wonder why she sold it? It's not been out that long. Interesting. Does she still have a stake in it though? I don't see how she could have made that much off it at this time. I mean she is known, but she is not at the Donald Trump level either.

The margarita was an excellent idea. If anyone had the opportunity to invest in it but didn't, they were foolish. If she didn't have enough cash to start a small production line (which doesn't take millions by the way), then like I said, perhaps cash from her best selling books. How much cash do you think best sellers bring in - a few mil, no? If not, maybe she got a loan or a credit line...who would be so stupid to think skinnygirl margarita was a bad risk.

She sold the brand for an undisclosed amount. I would guess at least several million because someone recognized the potential. And now she doesn't have to bother with day-to-day operations, is still associated with the brand and can focus on other ventures. That is smart, not stupid.

I would hope that what people get from this show is encouragement to create something of value. Too many are programmed to just get a job - rely on someone else to hire them. In these economic times, folks are gonna have to become more creative and look for alternative ways to support themselves. One doesn't have to seek extreme fame and fortune to apply the principles you see here.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:48 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,206,856 times
Quote:
You are taking this all a little too personally. And seem to have no clue what it entails being a parent b/c moms, regardless if they work outside the home or in the home, have busy lives & could always use the help. I've yet to meet a mom who couldn't use help. I am one of them.

I have 3 kids under 5. I don't have, as you wrote, the "luxury" of hiring a nanny but am a SAHM, which to many working women, is a luxury in & of itself. One of my close family members has a live-in nanny. I don't sit around & judge her or the situation. They are a wonderful family.

It's not "resentment". But when Jason is ripped apart for enjoying the lifestyle, it is only fair to hold Bethenny to the same standard saying she is enjoying the lifestylfe also. And she is.

The lifestyle Bethenny & Jason live w/ a baby nurse, a basic 24hr assistant & camera crews all around is not something any of us live.

If you took Bethenny out of that & told her to live like most of us, I do indeed wonder how she would do. I know my SIL says she would go crazy w/o her nanny. She adores her children, but she can't stay w/ them 24/7. Some women are like that & that does not make them poor mothers.

I would like to see how she did w/o the money, w/o the cameras & w/o the help. Oh, & she needs to work. THAT is far more common. It was a fair comment & one I stand behind.

Again, I like Jason & Bethenny & it is evident they love each other & their baby girl. Neither are "bad" parents. Both enjoy the spotlight & probably why their show is so successful. According to Bravo, this show is their biggest money maker.
I do take women who insult others choices very personally. Whether you admit it or not, your post read like a dig against Bethenny's parenting ability, I responded to what I read, that's all, it wasn't personal against you. You say you didn't mean it as a dig, I will accept that, maybe you simply should edit a little more carefully to clarify meaning. I KNOW all moms need help, thus the post defending moms who need to hire help from attacks on their parenting ability . Nothing in my post was against SAHMs, if you look over my posting history, you will see my defenses come out just as strongly for them, and their choices. I support all women's choices, when I read an unfair attack on any woman, expect me to come out swinging.

I'm sure Bethenny and family will be fine, she was fine before the show and she will survive after it. She created a certain type of life for herself and that's her right, she clearly loves her child I see no reason to criticize the mothering skills of anyone unless I know first hand there is some truly wrong going on. All I have seen is a busy woman who enjoys her work, and loves her child.

Who's ripping Jason apart? Not me, all I have ever said is I don't like him implying she is the "crazy" one all the time, I think he needs to compromise too.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
and you're very last sentence is the nail in the coffin! (Reps!)
Very true, all men need to step up to the plate with the child care, fortunately with the women's movement came many men gaining a closer relationship with their children. Men who get upset about feminists need to remember things are better for them too, they are allowed to be full people now, not just money makers. My fiancee' is wonderful with kids, I know he will be a true partner when we adopt kids (my personal choice not to bear them).

Old 04-25-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
The margarita was an excellent idea. If anyone had the opportunity to invest in it but didn't, they were foolish. If she didn't have enough cash to start a small production line (which doesn't take millions by the way), then like I said, perhaps cash from her best selling books. How much cash do you think best sellers bring in - a few mil, no? If not, maybe she got a loan or a credit line...who would be so stupid to think skinnygirl margarita was a bad risk.

She sold the brand for an undisclosed amount. I would guess at least several million because someone recognized the potential. And now she doesn't have to bother with day-to-day operations, is still associated with the brand and can focus on other ventures. That is smart, not stupid.

I would hope that what people get from this show is encouragement to create something of value. Too many are programmed to just get a job - rely on someone else to hire them. In these economic times, folks are gonna have to become more creative and look for alternative ways to support themselves. One doesn't have to seek extreme fame and fortune to apply the principles you see here.
Great post, and so true. I chose to focus my skills and business on public service, so I probably won't get too many riches, but I'm supporting myself, and beyond happy with the work I do. People just need to pursue whatever their passion may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV