Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 10:50 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,037,015 times

Advertisements

Ugh, that episode left me in shock and depression for a little bit.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,852,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I didn't find it emotionally charged at all mostly because those folks are fairly emotionless. The girls had zero personality and always seemed detached to me, same with Carol. I get nothing from her. She has the emotional range of a zombie. I'm not really a fan of making children evil for effect either. What's the point of introducing pure evil in the context of a ZA? Seems over-the-top to me and did when they foreshadowed this before. I like Tyrese, he does show a bit more emotion but it's mostly shock or rage. Kinda all or nothing which come off as meh.
But that was just it, she wasn't evil. She was twisted in her thinking with the walkers vs humans. I saw it as a story about how people can view ZA differently. (just like all the different opinions in this thread)

In another book series I read, they called the walkers Children of Lazarus and cared for them. Fed them and protected them. Lizzie had her own twisted view and it wasn't evil. So to me it was interesting to see her journey on how her thinking evolved. Especially with that final step of changing her sister. If left alone, she would have changed herself last. Horrifying yes. But that's ZA for you.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:11 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,446,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
What is that suppose to mean?? The kid is covered up....because it is cold where they are. Did you not notice they have on coats??
damn, was a joke!!!!. damn everyone is so serious.. cold???? hmm last week sasha and maggie didnt have coats on didnt look very cold to me.. Mika and LIzzie didnt have coats on. but whatever,im not picking on the show just wondered thats all.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:18 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,555,555 times
Some interesting food for thought.

If Judith survives and grows to adolescence and then adulthood (or I guess to adulthood only to paraphrase the governor - "Adolescence is a 20th century invention..."), she would *only* know a world with Zombies. That will be "normal" to her and a world without Zombies would be abnormal. The opposite of what all the adults are experiencing (they remember the world before the outbreak). An interesting concept. No TVs, computers, school lunches, going to the movies....

An interesting concept would be maybe 18 years from now where Judith is the "leader of the group" with her now 30 something brother Carl...I'd watch that.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,555,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
But that was just it, she wasn't evil. She was twisted in her thinking with the walkers vs humans. I saw it as a story about how people can view ZA differently. (just like all the different opinions in this thread)

In another book series I read, they called the walkers Children of Lazarus and cared for them. Fed them and protected them. Lizzie had her own twisted view and it wasn't evil. So to me it was interesting to see her journey on how her thinking evolved. Especially with that final step of changing her sister. If left alone, she would have changed herself last. Horrifying yes. But that's ZA for you.
What book series is that if you don't mind me asking? I listen to "Darker Projects" the Byron Chronicles and they did a stint on the whole "Lazarus" being the first of the walking dead. If you know anything about Darker Projects they borrow themes from other stories (Star Trek, Dr. Who, etc. etc. etc.). I am interested in the original series that started that concept. Somewhat interesting.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:42 PM

17,684 posts, read 15,397,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I didn't find it emotionally charged at all mostly because those folks are fairly emotionless. The girls had zero personality and always seemed detached to me, same with Carol. I get nothing from her. She has the emotional range of a zombie. I'm not really a fan of making children evil for effect either. What's the point of introducing pure evil in the context of a ZA? Seems over-the-top to me and did when they foreshadowed this before. I like Tyrese, he does show a bit more emotion but it's mostly shock or rage. Kinda all or nothing which come off as meh.
I didn't see Lizzie as evil. She was mentally ill.. Perhaps brought on due to the ZA.

Mika.. Was a normal little girl with strong morals. She would not kill the living. Makes you wonder what/how the Amish or other conscientious objectors would do in the ZA.

Now.. Was this done for shock value? Of course it was. But, it also had a basis in the comics. This wasn't something where people were just sitting around going "Hey.. How can we make ratings?"

I thought that the way the show handled it was.. Interesting when compared to the comics. Not going to say better, not going to say worse. I was expecting Lizzie killing Mika, but, I expected Carl to be the one who then killed Lizzie while everyone else was trying to figure out what they should do.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:50 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,774,902 times
Great episode! When the "previously on" rolled and showed scenes with Lizzie and the two burned bodies, my first thought was, oh man, CD was right! Several of you thought Lizzie did it and it looked at first that's where the episode was going.

As soon as Carol said Mika didn't "have a mean bone in her body," the same words she used about Sophia, I knew Mika was a goner. I thought it would have been a zombie, though. Poor Carol!

As a plot device, this drives Ty, Carol, and Judith onward to Terminus, rather than letting them stay at the house. The story needs everybody to reunite, so something had to happen. And practically speaking, the little girls were very expendable.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:38 PM

52,388 posts, read 52,872,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Great episode! When the "previously on" rolled and showed scenes with Lizzie and the two burned bodies, my first thought was, oh man, CD was right! Several of you thought Lizzie did it and it looked at first that's where the episode was going.

As soon as Carol said Mika didn't "have a mean bone in her body," the same words she used about Sophia, I knew Mika was a goner. I thought it would have been a zombie, though. Poor Carol!

As a plot device, this drives Ty, Carol, and Judith onward to Terminus, rather than letting them stay at the house. The story needs everybody to reunite, so something had to happen. And practically speaking, the little girls were very expendable.
I thought the same thing about the girls "dying" it did force them to continue on to Terminus, which is clearly the plot driver at this point.

I remember the intensity of the scene when Tyress and Carol come back, the cold terrifying realization what Lizzie did, it was amazing. The look in their faces was just intense, specially Tyreese, it's like his mind couldn't comprehend the horror of it........

It was sad that mika was killed, she was a sweet gentle soul, probably to a fault, but people are what they are. Killing a little girl via a gun is a tricky business in TV/movies, most of the time it is avoided because it turns the audience off too much, even if it's subconsciously, the writers/producers run the risk of losing people. They handled it about at well as you could.

It was a tame as it could be, at least in terms of being graphic.... you just hear a sound of a gunshot and a far away shot of Carol standing there....

Old 03-17-2014, 01:41 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,962,321 times
I still love this show. I have been bored many times throughout the show (searching for Sophia, wondering if they were ever going to leave the farm, this last half of season four), but I think on a whole, this show works great! Daryl is my favorite of all. He is complicated and crazy, but he is just interesting to me. Carol is awesome how much she has changed during this show. From a lost abused woman who loses her child to a kickass, strong, independent woman who could hold her own in the PAW. I hated Andrea, Laurie and Dale. I hate Rick the most and would love for him to meet his doom before season 4 ends. But that what is making this show fun to watch. The writers can't keep things the same forever. Yes I would be so sad if Daryl were killed, but if it makes sense in the story, then so be it. I'm along on this journey for as long it goes. Doesn't mean I am not going to get bored or laugh when something seems out of character or NOT realistic....it's tv. It's entertainment.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:46 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,960,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I didn't see Lizzie as evil. She was mentally ill.. Perhaps brought on due to the ZA.
Was Herschel also mentally ill? After all, Herschel had Otis hunt down, capture and imprison zombies in the barn, where the imprisoned zombies were given a pretty decent mail, at least relative to what Rick and his group were eating prior to meeting Herschel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV