Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 07:19 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,223,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I agree. If I wanted to hang out with someone, Holder would be it... but you are right about female anti-heroes. Imagine, a woman, who is a mother, who is NOT a good mother, but not a rotten person either!
Yes, I totally agree about that. She's a woman is totally immersed in her career to the detriment of her son, but it's a career that saves lives, and puts killers in jail. What she does matters greatly, but she's far from perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 08:17 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,771,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Yes, I totally agree about that. She's a woman is totally immersed in her career to the detriment of her son, but it's a career that saves lives, and puts killers in jail. What she does matters greatly, but she's far from perfect.
I like the complexity. Usually TV and film make it all so black and white. Good mothers do X, bad mothers do Y. It's what I liked about Weeds' Nancy Botwin also. She wasn't saving lives, lol, but her main motivation started out as wanting to provide for her children, then greed took over, and that's very human, even if none of us want to be like that.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I like the complexity. Usually TV and film make it all so black and white. Good mothers do X, bad mothers do Y. It's what I liked about Weeds' Nancy Botwin also. She wasn't saving lives, lol, but her main motivation started out as wanting to provide for her children, then greed took over, and that's very human, even if none of us want to be like that.
Yes, on TV, mothers in particular are either all good, sacrificing everything and everyone for their children, or all bad, neglectful losers who are solely self serving.

Linden is a human being with good and bad qualities. She not really someone I would want to spend time with, but I would want her on the case if anything criminal were to happen to someone I cared about. Mothers are human too, it's refreshing to see that even though no one would recommended her as a role model for parenting, and her son is probably better off living with his father.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:29 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,277,244 times
I've been sort of amazed by the women who can't stand Linden and think she's a bad cop.....mostly because they hate her for being a bad mother and it spills over. To me she seems like someone who raised her kid pretty well when he was young and the father wasn't someone she trusted. But the situation has changed, she's had mental health issues and she recognizes that she's not there mentally and emotionally for him anymore and the father has gotten more capable. So she did something better for her kid. Takes a lot of self-awareness and selflessness.
What do mothers think of someone who has a mental illness and refuses to give custody to a more stable father? That insists of dragging their kid around and subjeting them to all sorts of crazy. Or those mothers who drive a wedge between kids and their fathers because they think they are the only one who can possibly be a parent? That she's a better mother? Or a 15 yr old who gives their baby up for adoption? That they are all terrible mothers? People?
Mothers seem pretty judgemental.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I've been sort of amazed by the women who can't stand Linden and think she's a bad cop.....mostly because they hate her for being a bad mother and it spills over. To me she seems like someone who raised her kid pretty well when he was young and the father wasn't someone she trusted. But the situation has changed, she's had mental health issues and she recognizes that she's not there mentally and emotionally for him anymore and the father has gotten more capable. So she did something better for her kid. Takes a lot of self-awareness and selflessness.
What do mothers think of someone who has a mental illness and refuses to give custody to a more stable father? That insists of dragging their kid around and subjeting them to all sorts of crazy. Or those mothers who drive a wedge between kids and their fathers because they think they are the only one who can possibly be a parent? That she's a better mother? Or a 15 yr old who gives their baby up for adoption? That they are all terrible mothers? People?
Mothers seem pretty judgemental.
The bolded is an understatement, take a look at the "mommie wars" in the parenting forum. It seems mothers will find any reason to criticize other mothers and any choice they might make that is different from their own. It's quite appalling! We do need to be careful about going off topic here, but...

Do people really say Linden is a bad cop? Admittedly, this Skinner thing doesn't look great for her(no one else realized it either) but she is one of the most dedicated TV cops I have ever seen, she does not give up until the case is solved properly, which is a very admirable (from reading true crime and false convictions, this is sadly lacking in many real world cops) trait in a detective, and she does solve cases. She's not a perfect mother, but her son is fine, she did the best she could having her childhood, a lack of role models, and a very demanding career. If she were a single father, most would be patting her on the back for parenting to the best of his ability while maintaining a successful career and income.

I agree it was a difficult decision to give him up, she struggled with it, but felt it was the right thing for him at his age, sacrificing your own wants and pride is often what parenting means, and I can only applaud her for that.

Last edited by detshen; 08-08-2013 at 11:04 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 10:59 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,176,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I've been sort of amazed by the women who can't stand Linden and think she's a bad cop.....mostly because they hate her for being a bad mother and it spills over.
Where are you seeing those comments? I've never read anything like that. I for one don't dislike her, nor do I judge her parenting abilities (I am not a parent and don't want to be one). She just isn't someone I'd like to spend time with and yes, I find her skills as a detective questionable. She's dedicated, verging on obsessive. But she's hardly Sherlock. Three years to figure out the killer (with Holder's help) and an innocent man put to death...then she takes it upon herself to kill the real perp, with very little evidence other than a ring on his daughter's hand and a vague quasi-confession.

But it's good to have all types of characters on tv...the reality is that everyone is flawed or damaged in some way, so it's nice that tv dramas have become sophisticated enough to reflect that.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:47 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,277,244 times
I read and participate in tv forums on the television without pity webiste. They are typically far more intense than here.

There are people, sometimes hard to tell from their screen names but seem mostly women who don't think she is a good cop. One said "the worst cop ever". Many site the same reasons you do but.......
1) I'm fairly sure that since Skinner was involved in the investigation and trial that he derailed the investigation and she didn't testify - he did.
2) no other cops or detectives seemed to have any problems with the investigation, knew about all the missing kids
3) so if Linden is a bad cop the Seattle PD are all way worse cops than her.

And there are lots of comments about how bad a parent she is. <shrugs> Her son seems pretty normal, likes his mom etc. So if parenting has a part to play then she must have been a pretty decent parent up to the Rosie Larsen case, or maybe till the Seward case and her break up with Skinner. The fact that she recognizes that after all the hell she put him through with the Rosie case had to stop is good on her in my book. Kids needs Dads, dads can be good parents. The fact that she is emotionally spent for motherhood now doesn't mean that it won't come back at some point.

you know its odd, that she and skinner had an affair but they don't really get into the timeline of that. If it broke up before the Seward case thats one thing. But if it started during the Seward case that would lead one to believe that he was using and manipulating her till the case was over and broke it off to 'save his marriage' (I'll bet the wife who probably wishes that affair had caused a divorce much earlier now)

Old 08-08-2013, 04:28 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,063,584 times
That's pretty intense for a TV show. This is NOT real life.
I guess that just shows how well written this show is - to bring out such feelings.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:43 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,861,250 times
I have no problem with Linden other than her wardrobe. Those godawful sweaters just have to go!

Old 08-08-2013, 04:48 PM

145 posts, read 360,229 times
I started watching the show a month ago and just finished Season 2. I think it's good but 1 big case per Season is better. It would of been perfect if they just let the ending of Season 1 be the Richard guy being the killer, but they made the story last to Season 2 that it got boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV