Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 11:48 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,173,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Man, you people are hard to please. I loved this last episode. And I thought Linden was fantastic - I have come to love her as an actress. No make up, completely natural and confident. Terrific series. She and Holder are the perfect team.
The problem isn't the actors, they did a great job with the material. What I don't like are cliches, and this finale was full of them. I find that a lot of Veena's writing does not hold up to close analysis - the plot holes are a major problem. If this was a show like CSI, you would expect those things and I wouldn't be watching in the first place. I just feel a bit irritated when a show that presents itself as smarter than the normal crime show doesn't respect the intelligence of the viewers. And the writing this season was vastly better than S2, so the finale felt like even more of a letdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 PM

25,827 posts, read 20,767,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
The problem isn't the actors, they did a great job with the material. What I don't like are cliches, and this finale was full of them. I find that a lot of Veena's writing does not hold up to close analysis - the plot holes are a major problem. If this was a show like CSI, you would expect those things and I wouldn't be watching in the first place. I just feel a bit irritated when a show that presents itself as smarter than the normal crime show doesn't respect the intelligence of the viewers. And the writing this season was vastly better than S2, so the finale felt like even more of a letdown.
I've decided that Ms Sud simply does not know how to close. Or maybe she just loses interest.

These last two episodes felt like they took the easiest way out and it really made no sense in the overall context of the story.
It really is a shame because there was some great stuff in earlier episodes.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:31 PM

19,297 posts, read 16,830,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I agree. I was pleased and shocked by the ending. Linden let her emotions get the better of her. Unfortunately, we will have to wait a while to find out if she will be charged with murder or if she and Holder hide it or lie about it.
The man that she slept with was a serial killer. That HAD to be a shock.

AMC has such great shows.
I thought the same thing. I think that's one of the reasons she had Skinner stop the car so she could vomit. Not only did she have an affair with him, she realized he killed more than 20 young girls. It's like when you discover that everything you thought you knew about a person, turns out to be totally wrong. It makes you sick inside.

As for the ending, I swear, I could have been watching Seven. Skinner just wouldn't shut up, and Linden just couldn't reign in her emotions. Can't wait for next season.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:42 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,664,571 times
I love everything about this show but there are a few things that drove me nuts, Linden's high breathless pitch when she gets excited. It just sounds like bad acting or bad directing, something but I don't know what.
The other thing, I really loved that Skinner turned out to be the killer but wish they had done it differently. The realization was great on her part but also on his. The car ride was okay but something was off, maybe Linden's high breathless pitch along with Skinner's low calm demeanor when he knew he was either going to jail or winning his suicide by cop desire. Linden not keeping her eye on him at all times was just dumb, a serial killer, Linden sits in the grass and lets him bend over her.

I just wished they had delved into much, much more of this entire Linden/Skinner/serial killer situation than they did.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,058,022 times
Here on Mars - Sleeping with a serial killer HAS to do something to one's state of mind.

As far as the ending, MAYBE the writers ran out of time and had to end it more quickly than they had wanted to - thus the ending that they had.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:02 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,216,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
This is how I feel also. I'm critical because I have high expectations for this show, I expect great characters, ambitious story lines, and exciting developments that make sense within the story. There was a lot I liked about this season, but the finale just wasn't up to par IMO. Pointing this out doesn't mean I hate the show, I actually like this show a lot, and do hope for another season. I appreciated the characters, the excellent cast, there were some truly wonderful scenes and performances this season. I love that they tackled some difficult situations and characters, and made me care about them.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:21 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,216,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I just wished they had delved into much, much more of this entire Linden/Skinner/serial killer situation than they did.
I would've liked to have seen more of that also. We never really got to know Skinner, I couldn't figure out what Linden saw in him, and there had to be so much going on with him getting Seward convicted. I still don't really know who he was, or what motivated him, his explanation to Linden felt trite, I had hoped for more. They put so much into many of the other characters, but Skinner was just sort of there, he wasn't fleshed out.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 PM

19,297 posts, read 16,830,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Here on Mars - Sleeping with a serial killer HAS to do something to one's state of mind.
Yeah, it makes them feel stupid, used, and maybe even questioning their own intelligence because they didn't see it.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 24 days ago)

8,826 posts, read 21,330,001 times
I have come to love her as an actress. No make up, completely natural and confident. Terrific series. She and Holder are the perfect team.

Sooooo, we'll have to wait at least another year for these two to finally get together ?
I love both of these characters.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-06-2013, 07:51 PM

5,351 posts, read 8,583,312 times
I finally watched the finale.

I love this series for reasons many others do.

Since I have read so much true crime over the years (easily over 200 books), I tend to have a hard time with crime fiction, as there are usually too many details that just don't make sense. But I try to suspend disbelief for this series and a couple of others, because the overall production is so good.

One of the major problems I had with the finale is the lack of vigilance on Det. Linden's part while she was riding in the car with her boss at the very end. That did not ring even remotely true for me at all.

So, like others, I was a bit let down by the ending.

But I will definitely watch again. I love Det. Holder. He is just so awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV