Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 06:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,486,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The responsibility to follow the rules and do the dances properly though......is totally on the pro. How could a novice even know the difference between a "jive" and the "lindy"? They couldn't....that is the pro's job.
Well my question was based on the premise that not all the contestants are novices. But I totally agree that it is the professionals they are partnered up with to take the responsibility of doing the dances correctly and according to the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 08:24 PM

348 posts, read 850,713 times
I have only watched DWTS once but may have to tune in more. I also rarely watch Nancy Grace but I happened to catch the tail end of her show tonight in which she was talking with guests and callers about what her experience has been like, etc. It's nice to see the softer side of Nancy Grace. She seems a little tough even when she is using tongue in cheek humor, which confirms for me that she does have her lawyer/prosecutor hat on most of the time, even though she no longer practices law. I also like how she has an average body type (I know we all have different definitions of what that is) and while I'm not positive, I don't think she has formal dancing experience. She's the type of person who makes the show appealing to someone like me who normally would not tune into the show.

She also said that all of her earnings from the show are going to a fund for missing and exploited children. So, like her or not, she's be giving a good chunk of change to a good cause.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:35 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,472,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1972 View Post
She also said that all of her earnings from the show are going to a fund for missing and exploited children. So, like her or not, she's be giving a good chunk of change to a good cause.
I was surprised to learn how many "stars" donate their DWTS $$$ to charities. Of course, I'm sure they take the tax write-off on those donations (why wouldnt they?) and that amount can be considerable. It's like donating $150,000-$200,000 to a charity.

Ron Artest donated his earnings to the Cancer Research Foundation (although I'm still not sure how much the one who gets booted off the first week receives) in honor of his 8-year old daughter Diamond, who was diagnosed with a kidney cancer that affects children.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:52 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I was surprised to learn how many "stars" donate their DWTS $$$ to charities. Of course, I'm sure they take the tax write-off on those donations (why wouldnt they?) and that amount can be considerable. It's like donating $150,000-$200,000 to a charity.

Ron Artest donated his earnings to the Cancer Research Foundation (although I'm still not sure how much the one who gets booted off the first week receives) in honor of his 8-year old daughter Diamond, who was diagnosed with a kidney cancer that affects children.

Whatever the amount, that was a good move. I'm almost sorry I was rooting for him to get the boot the first week. It should have been Elizabetta in my hind sight. Too bad Ron made such a bad first impression (with me) with the blonde hair and changing his name legally to such a weird one.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:59 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,623,643 times
Default Dancing with the stars!!!!!

On Tuesday night, I was pretty sure that Chaz would be eliminated, since he/she does not know how to dance at all, and I see no possibility of a great improvement, either. Do not get me wrong, I have no issues with his/her gender, AND I am compassionate toward the struggles, he/she has gone through, but, we are talking about dancing here. I guess I forgot about the powers of WHO DO YOU KNOW IN HOLLYWOOD!

The girl from Italy, no doubt, was a much better dancer!!!!

Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,387,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
Did you watch the first week Latina7? Because the first week Chaz danced very well. He was in pain the second week, so he wasn't as good the second week. But he did really well the first week!

Elisabetta on the other hand was underwhealming both weeks. I think the right person went home last week.

That said, if Chaz's knees are still causing him problems this week, I doubt he'll be around much longer. He does have a fan base, and a lot of people rooting for him, but no one wants to see someone dance if they're in pain.

Quote:
I guess I forgot about the powers of WHO DO YOU KNOW IN HOLLYWOOD!
One last thought... If Chaz was really using the "Who I Know in Hollywood" card, his mother would be sitting in the audience alongside Courtney Cox, and Kris and Bruce Jenner, and all the Kardashian girls. There is NOTHING wrong with any of the celebrities getting that kind of support from their more famous relatives - but the fact is, Chaz isn't doing that - he's there on his own, and not relying on his famous mother at all - so far!

Last edited by bouncethelight; 10-01-2011 at 09:06 PM..

Old 10-01-2011, 09:05 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,387,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I hope Karina studies up on the rules book......a mistake like that during the finals could cost JR the Mirror Ball.
This show is never won or lost based on the judges scores. The producers have never revealed exactly how they balance the audience vote and judges score, but it's NOT 50/50. It's heavily weighted toward the audiences vote. That's why we see so many upsets! The judges score one way, and the public votes another, and the public votes counts more, and so someone unexpected goes home. Happens several times a season!

That's why Derek and Mark and Karina continually break the rules. They know that it's more important to get the audience on their side, than to get a high score.

So Karina didn't care one bit that she lost a few points from the judges that night - they more than made up for it with the audience vote! She knew she had a crowd pleaser - so she knew they'd be fine - and they were!

Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,486,704 times
Quote:
On Tuesday night, I was pretty sure that Chaz would be eliminated, since he/she does not know how to dance at all, and I see no possibility of a great improvement, either. Do not get me wrong, I have no issues with his/her gender, AND I am compassionate toward the struggles, he/she has gone through, but, we are talking about dancing here. I guess I forgot about the powers of WHO DO YOU KNOW IN HOLLYWOOD!

Or in politics or in sports or in business etc. Everyone has their fan base and most know some influential people who support them. Just look who is sitting in the audience cheering for whom.

Chaz is having some knee trouble. The first week he was fine and danced well. The second his knees bothered him. Maybe he won't be able to stay in the contest because of this. That would be a shame but I think so far he is doing a good job.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:11 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,411,384 times
I really hope Chaz stays with it. He seems discouraged and probably part of that has to do with the pain in his knees, but if he continues to lose weight it should get easier on him.

I remember Kirstie's first weeks where she was always so winded after a performance that she could barely get a sentence out. Compared to the last weeks when she was in much better shape. And look at her now!

I hope to see JR, Chaz, Chyna, Carson, and Ricki all get to the finals.
(and I wasn't even going to watch this season - heh)

Old 10-02-2011, 12:55 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,992,642 times
I do wish that they would publish both how they balance the home/judge scores and what the scores actually were, week to week - just to keep it honest. I mean, even our national elections are found to be rigged from time to time.

I admire Chaz for his honesty. He does not have pre-prepared statements whenever the camera is on him. I like that directness.

I think Elizabetta is also a novice and has not watched the show much and what might have impressed some as an attitude was really just being caught off guard. What was she, a not first tier fashion model or something? Not someone used to having a voice on the media. That said, I was disturbed at her lengthy and very thin figure. Is she bulimic or something? She (to me), and this is a nasty comment, but she looked like a praying mantis dancing across the stage. Sorry for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV