Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
They may have moved Maude to the early AM because it was getting bad ratings. They may have paid Lear for the rights and had to show it sometime, but didn't want to waste a good time slot if nobody is watching. So they stick it in the middle of the night.

Yes, Hemsley was doing a play and Lear held the role open until he was finished. Henry was on a lot (I think he pretended to be George just to mess with Archie) before Hemsley joined the cast. After that Henry went to live with Chuck Cunningham and Coy and Vance Duke, never to be seen or mentioned again.

Never understood how a maid in upstate New York suddenly appeared in a Chicago housing project.

I've seen Maude a few times and it never did much for me, but I still love AITF.
Good Times is not a spinoff of Maude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
I heard a slightly different story to Sherman Hemsley coming to AITF. Sherman Hemsley was cast as George Jefferson but was involved in another project and could not do both. So they cast Mel Stewart to play Henry until Sherman was free to join the cast. I don't know if this is true but I wouldn't doubt it.

Now about Maude...I loved the character on AITF and the Maude pilot episode when her daughter Carol was getting married. I still enjoy watching Maude but not all epsiodes. There have been some episodes that were funny but overall...not so much. I thought the supporting cast (Rue McClanahan, Conrad Bain, Adrienne Barbeau, Bill Macy) was strong enough to carry the show but there was just something with most episodes and it hurt the humor. I don't know if it was politics or feminism or what but it just make me laugh.

Let's not forget Florida Evans (Maude's maid) who left for Chicago with her family and started the television show Good Times. That is a little known spin-off of Maude.
Good times was not a spinoff of Maude. The character Florida Evans was written off Maude so she can star in a NEW COMEDY at the time which was called Good Times.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,255 times
A spin-off is when one character is taken from one show and moved to another. While major changes were made to Florida and her back story, it was still the same character.

So while the Evans family never mentioned Maude, it was still a spin-off.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:57 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Good Times is not a spinoff of Maude
I believe it was a spin-off of Maude.

Good Times - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good Times is an American sitcom that originally aired from February 8, 1974, until August 1, 1979, on the CBS television network. It was created by Eric Monte and Michael Evans, and developed by Norman Lear, the series' primary executive producer.

Good Times is a spin-off of Maude, which was itself a spin-off of All in the Family along with The Jeffersons.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
A spin-off is when one character is taken from one show and moved to another. While major changes were made to Florida and her back story, it was still the same character.

So while the Evans family never mentioned Maude, it was still a spin-off.
False, a spinoff is when a character is written off a show INTO another show to maintain the connection between both the parent show and spinoff.

The Florida character was written OUT of the script so she can star in a new show that had no connection to maude. It's a big difference between being written OFF and written OUT.

Written out means..."It's no way the character can ever return to that show"

Written off means that the character can return to the show in the future.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:04 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
False, a spinoff is when a character is written off a show INTO another show to maintain the connection between both the parent show and spinoff.

The Florida character was written OUT of the script so she can star in a new show that had no connection to maude. It's a big difference between being written OFF and written OUT.

Written out means..."It's no way the character can ever return to that show"

Written off means that the character can return to the show in the future.
Where did you read this?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Where did you read this?
I;m a TVResearcher in my sparetime and have several newspapers and magazines I collected over the years to back up that good times is not a spinoff.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I believe it was a spin-off of Maude.

Good Times - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good Times is an American sitcom that originally aired from February 8, 1974, until August 1, 1979, on the CBS television network. It was created by Eric Monte and Michael Evans, and developed by Norman Lear, the series' primary executive producer.

Good Times is a spin-off of Maude, which was itself a spin-off of All in the Family along with The Jeffersons.

Wikipedia is wrong and I have discovered quotes from the executive producer of Good Times saying that it's not a spinoff. His name is Alan manings and he was quoted in 1975 Ebony magazine saying that it's not really a spinoff.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:16 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Like Archie, Maude was a character written to be very abrasive (almost antagonistic) and "in your face" about her political and personal views.

It worked for the male character and show, but not that much for the female version/show.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Like Archie, Maude was a character written to be very abrasive (almost antagonistic) and "in your face" about her political and personal views.

It worked for the male character and show, but not that much for the female version/show.
Maybe Maude is more suited for local tv since it doesn't grab a large audience like All in the Family and Good Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV