Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 03:50 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,097,708 times

Advertisements

i don't see a prequel of Saul happening.

Now Gus on the other hand you have a BIG story to tell. They can start with his life in Chile, starting the pollo franchise, creating his meth empire, etc. Action, drama, suspense, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 09:22 PM

9,148 posts, read 14,780,770 times
Well since Saul worked with Gus no reason they can't both be is the spinoff if it happens.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:16 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,565,256 times
I think Jesse might die tomorrow nite.
hopefully im wrong

Old 08-31-2013, 11:50 PM

23,744 posts, read 12,615,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
i don't see a prequel of Saul happening.
Actually I could see it happening. There are a lot of the typical lawyer shows on tv. I'm not a big fan of them (though I did enjoy Harry's Law) since they are all pretty much the same ... good guy/gal lawyer fights to get good guy/bad guy off, blah, blah, blah. A prequel about Saul would be different than the typical lawyer shows and would probably be pretty entertaining, even for those who never watched BB but who like lawyer themed tv shows.
Odenkirk (Saul) doesn't appear to be doing anything at the moment, so he's probably free to do a prequel.

Don't look at this if you don't want to know ahead of time what may/may not happen on BB - if you look, don't blame me for your knowing ahead of time, I warned ya not to look. lol.
Spoiler
Well good golly, while looking at Odenkirks bio on IMDb to see if he was currently doing anything, I found that there IS a Saul spin off in the works for 2014 (spin off, not prequel? .. so Saul will be a BB survivor?)
Untitled Saul Goodman Spin-Off (TV Series 2014

Quote:
Now Gus on the other hand you have a BIG story to tell. They can start with his life in Chile, starting the pollo franchise, creating his meth empire, etc. Action, drama, suspense, etc.
Completely agree about a prequel on Gus. There had been a lot of teasers about the life that Gus had led up until he was killed off, nothing really concrete but enough to pique peoples interest. Like, when he lived in Chile he was obviously a powerful person, but why was he powerful, what did he do during that time and why did he leave. When he left Chile he first moved to Mexico and worked for the Cartel, what happened to make him move to the US. When he moved to the US he and a partner started up a drug ring and Los Pollos, what happened to the partner, also getting in cahoots with Madrigal. He has a family, at least a kid or two, or more, what happened to them. They could probably even use snippets of BB (towards the end of the running of the prequel show), as background, while they show his day to day life that hasn't been seen on BB ... up to when he finally gets killed off.
The only problem I can see is that Esposito (Gus) is currently on the tv show Revolution (which is a pretty decent show), no telling how long he'll be on that show.

edited to add .. there also seems to be a 120 minute BB documentary that will be coming out in 2014
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3088036/

Last edited by berdee; 09-01-2013 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: figured I should use the spoiler tag

Old 09-01-2013, 08:41 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
As much as I love BB, I hope Vince Gilligan concentrates his creative genius on something entirely different. He's mentioned a time or two that he'd like to do a Western. BB has been about a largely decent guy turning into a monster. It's brilliant. I'd love to see Gilligan flip the coin, maybe do a story about a bad guy turning into a hero.

If I rubbed a lamp and a genie popped out, I can guarantee that one of my wishes would be for Vince Gilligan to do a TV sieres based on the life of Bass Reeves. Bass is one of those largely-forgotten heroes of the Old West. His life is so remarkable that it's almost unbelievable. A prime example of real life being more dramatic than fiction.

Saul steals every scene he's in, largely because he isn't carrying the show. I'm not convinced a Saul-centric show would work. He's hilarious, but he's an odious little creep. I have to admit I was cheering a little when Jesse was beating the snot out of him.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:11 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,169,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Saul steals every scene he's in, largely because he isn't carrying the show. I'm not convinced a Saul-centric show would work. He's hilarious, but he's an odious little creep. I have to admit I was cheering a little when Jesse was beating the snot out of him.
Not me. I think Jesse is the most overrated character on the show, and I love Saul. I was so ready for Jesse to be gone! (Still am.) Saul's always been honest about who he is and what he does, so I respect him more than the self-righteous Jesse.

A Saul show wouldn't have to be completely about Saul...and I certainly wouldn't expect it to be a deep drama on the level of BB. But I'm fine with a spinoff or whatever else Vince decides to do. Just as long as he continues to make excellent tv shows.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:57 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,691,870 times
Quote:
As much as I love BB, I hope Vince Gilligan concentrates his creative genius on something entirely different. He's mentioned a time or two that he'd like to do a Western. BB has been about a largely decent guy turning into a monster. It's brilliant. I'd love to see Gilligan flip the coin, maybe do a story about a bad guy turning into a hero.

If I rubbed a lamp and a genie popped out, I can guarantee that one of my wishes would be for Vince Gilligan to do a TV sieres based on the life of Bass Reeves. Bass is one of those largely-forgotten heroes of the Old West. His life is so remarkable that it's almost unbelievable. A prime example of real life being more dramatic than fiction.

They put a statue of Bass up downtown, it wasn't as impressive as I thought it would be but its still cool, should tie in well with the Marshals Museum. Vince Gilligan doing Bass Reeves would be incredible but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Don't agree about the Saul show though.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:02 PM

608 posts, read 1,709,422 times
Quote:
A Vince Gilligan Western would be pretty interesting.

Of course, I think Deadwood was somewhat along those lines. Al Swearingen was the "bad guy" who occasionally turned into the "good guy".

Old 09-01-2013, 02:16 PM

608 posts, read 1,709,422 times
The more I watch Breaking Bad (and I've rewatched a few of the early episodes), the more convinced I become that Walt was never a "good guy." We thought he was "good" because he fit into all the boxes. Is there any profession that seems more harmless than high school chemistry teacher? Walt was also afraid of violence and conflict, and we viewed him as incapable of being "bad" because of that. He seemed to care about his family, so we thought that made him "good" as well.

But the consistent theme throughout the show: Walt is a coward. Walt seemed wimpy in the early episodes because he was too afraid to stand up for himself. He was too afraid to tell his wife and kids about his cancer diagnosis. He was afraid of everything.

As Walt has evolved, it's not that he's lost this cowardice. Rather, it merely gets taken out in other ways. He's willing to murder innocent people to save himself. We find that Walt is so terrified of harm to himself, that he's willing to harm almost anyone else.

Walt's tendencies, even in the early episodes, were sort of despicable. We get the sense that he hid all kinds of stuff from his Skyler, Walt Jr., and Hank. It's just that in the grand scheme of things, most of the things he hid were minor until he got cancer and entered the meth business.

Jesse is the opposite of Walt in many ways. Jesse isn't a coward. In fact, Jesse has an almost reckless disregard for his own life and safety. Jesse feels guilty that harm didn't come to him. Instead, innocent people have been harmed by his actions.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:02 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,996,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiderotsGhost View Post
The more I watch Breaking Bad (and I've rewatched a few of the early episodes), the more convinced I become that Walt was never a "good guy." We thought he was "good" because he fit into all the boxes. Is there any profession that seems more harmless than high school chemistry teacher? Walt was also afraid of violence and conflict, and we viewed him as incapable of being "bad" because of that. He seemed to care about his family, so we thought that made him "good" as well.

But the consistent theme throughout the show: Walt is a coward. Walt seemed wimpy in the early episodes because he was too afraid to stand up for himself. He was too afraid to tell his wife and kids about his cancer diagnosis. He was afraid of everything.

As Walt has evolved, it's not that he's lost this cowardice. Rather, it merely gets taken out in other ways. He's willing to murder innocent people to save himself. We find that Walt is so terrified of harm to himself, that he's willing to harm almost anyone else.

Walt's tendencies, even in the early episodes, were sort of despicable. We get the sense that he hid all kinds of stuff from his Skyler, Walt Jr., and Hank. It's just that in the grand scheme of things, most of the things he hid were minor until he got cancer and entered the meth business.

Jesse is the opposite of Walt in many ways. Jesse isn't a coward. In fact, Jesse has an almost reckless disregard for his own life and safety. Jesse feels guilty that harm didn't come to him. Instead, innocent people have been harmed by his actions.
You are confusing self-preservation with cowardice. Walt is a lot of things, but a coward is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV