Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 02:51 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
--Hank crossed over and broke bad last night because he actually HOPED his setup would get Jesse killed by Walt, as he said he'd have it on tape and a slam dunk arrest of Walt. They even did a close up at the lust in his eyes at Walt killing Jesse.

--Where is Walt's REAL home? Hell is his real home, as Jesse thinks he's the devil incarnate. Perhaps some egoic hell situation awaits for Walt via Jesse. Perhaps Jesse gets Todd and uncle gang and or Lydia to go after Walt .

--They are really playing up Flynn's love and devotion for his father--something will play out in that direction.

--With Hank breaking bad now, they are continually showing how much gray area there is between good and bad behavior. It's not black and white, no one is all good or all bad. How we justify our bad behavior is what much of the show is about--Saul being the most honest and has the real clarity on how slippery that line between good and bad behavior is.
Precisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not true. Saul had/has all of the connections. He was already working with Gus and Mike when he met Walt. He introduced Walt to Gus and Mike. Walt would have been nobody if he hadn't met Saul.

Breaking Bad - Better Call Saul – AMC
You're right, my bad.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think his goal wasn't to get Jesse killed, but was to get Walt caught - and Jesse is, in Hank's mind, possibly expendable, since he's a bad guy. Bad guys get what's coming to them sometimes, is what I think Hank feels like, and his goal is to get Walt - especially now that he feels that Walt is endangering not only his own kids, but Marie and even Hank, as well as Skyler. I think Hank sees Jesse as perhaps having to be sacrificed for the safety of people who "aren't bad" in Hank's world of good vs evil. To him, Jesse is as evil as Walt. He's at least willing to take that chance with Jesse's life in order to save the lives of innocent people.
Hank uses people to his own ends, just like everybody else has done in this program. It is NOT black and white, it's all gray.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:02 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
See what I said above - I didn't say that I agree with Hank's take on human life. What I said is that HANK firmly believes it and hasn't wavered in that commitment. He believes that some people are good and some people are bad, and if push comes to shove, then it's morally OK for a bad person to become collateral damage in order to protect good people. I don't think he's changed fundamentally from Day One of the show. He's always been on the edge, radically committed to "fighting the bad guys," and absolutely determined to work as hard as he can to put these people away. If they happen to get killed in the process, well, they were bad guys anyway.

Like I said, that's not necessarily my own moral standard. I'm just saying that I think Hank has been consistent with HIS own moral standard.

As for not following the rules when his boss told him to drop the case, I think this was very difficult for Hank and brought a frightened, even more radical edge to his actions, so yes, in this sense we're seeing more of the nuances of his character, but I think that was always there and would be a natural progression when his orderly world of rules and laws is suddenly in upheaval. I still think he's following rules - a higher set of rules - ultimate GOOD VS EVIL in his mind. I think he is very, very upset by the feeling that he has to step outside his usual box of rules and laws, unlike for instance, Walt - who realized that he became invigorated and empowered when he did so.

I think what was really interesting about Marie is that she's not a rule follower - till now. Now that the **** is hitting the fan, she wants to retreat to a more orderly world, one that's made secure by rules. She and her sister are alike in this - both have a radical streak to them, a streak that in the right circumstances can become bravery, and in other circumstances can be recklessness, or even ruthlessness. But when confronted with their own capabilities and radical options, they both seek refuge in "normalcy" and "ordered society," unlike Walt or Jesse, or Lydia.

I think this yearning for order and normalcy is what makes Hank and Mike very similar, by the way. Their ultimate goals have a lot in common. I'm pretty sure Mike is very dead, but I keep wishing he were still alive. I loved his character!
So true about Marie and Skylar
I would love to see a back story about there childhood.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:08 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,168,124 times
I still don't think Skyler saying "what's one more?" or Hank not caring much about the fate of a drug manufacturer/murderer means they are now just as bad as the characters who have actually committed murders so far. None of them are great people, but I can keep things in perspective. And I wouldn't be such a fan of Skyler (or BB) if all she ever did was "cry and beg" Walt to stop what he was doing. That would be awful writing, and pretty insulting.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:19 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Yes, Hank has turned bad, was fine with Jessie getting killed to get it all on tape.

I think that might be as bad as Walt killing people, if not worse because Hank is a cop. Marie is just fine with taking her sister's children away.

Walt may turn into an angel before this is all over if we compare him with the "good guys". One thing we know for sure, Walt may be a control freak but he does love Jesse in his own way, tries to protect him and I am not so sure he would ever kill Jesse.

The 2 hugs were a lot alike, don't think he will kill Jesse anymore than he would kill Walt Jr.
I don't think he would kill Jesse either. When he called Todd and told him that there was a job for his uncle, he didn't mention what or whom was the subject of the job. Like Jesse said things with Walt never turn out like you expect.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I still don't think Skyler saying "what's one more?" or Hank not caring much about the fate of a drug manufacturer/murderer means they are now just as bad as the characters who have actually committed murders so far. None of them are great people, but I can keep things in perspective. And I wouldn't be such a fan of Skyler (or BB) if all she ever did was "cry and beg" Walt to stop what he was doing. That would be awful writing, and pretty insulting.
And boring too!

Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Hank uses people to his own ends, just like everybody else has done in this program. It is NOT black and white, it's all gray.
I didn't say things are black and white -I said HANK sees things as black and white.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 PM

23,646 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Hank is all about Hank now. He is humiliated that his BIL did this under his nose. It's not about protecting society and innocent people anymore. He knows Walt isn't even in the business now. This is personal now.
100% agree.

As for the plan that Jesse may have, my thoughts on that are ..
When Jesse was in the plaza and saw that big guy lurking near the wall he thought the guy was a hitman. If the guy was a hitman then Jesse probably thought he'd be dead before he even made it to the bench that Walt was on, which would leave Walt as nothing more than an innocent bystander. Jesse probably thought that after the hitman kills him then the hitman would either disappear or he would be shot and killed by either Hank or Gomez, again leaving Walt as nothing more than an innocent bystander. Jesse dead and Walt walking away free - no, Jesse wouldn't be cool with that thought.
I really don't think Jesse is actually planning on harming Skyler, Jr or Holly, he just wants Walt to think that he will. He knows Walt well enough that Walt will do something because of his threat, and, that Walt won't be the one to go after Jesse himself, that Walt would have someone else do it. Since Jesse knows his life is on the line anyway, even if he knows that he could end up dying, he probably wants to lay a trap for the hitman that he knows Walt will send so that the hitman is taken alive by the DEA and pressured to turn Walt over.

As for Skyler saying "what's one more", I doubt that she even knows if Walt had ever killed, or had someone do the killing for him. She just probably assumes that Walt had since Walt is involved in the drug world, where killing or being killed is a large part of that world.
Skyler had been living in the suburban housewife bubble. It wasn't a perfect bubble, since Walt had to have two jobs to support them and since Jr had CP. But it was a predictable and comfortable life. That bubble was shattered - by Walt. At first she probably went through the anger and denial stages, which allowed Walt to make her an accomplice as far as the law is concerned. She is estranged from Marie and Hank - because of Walt. Her life and the kids lives are in danger - because of Walt. She knows if the DEA takes Walt down then she will also go down - because of Walt.
She's probably now in the acceptance stage along with depression over the whole situation. Her only silver lining is that hopefully Walt will die, either by cancer or by someone in the drug world, and hopefully Walt will die before he is busted by the DEA. She's not so cold hearted, yet, to kill him herself. But once he's dead, before being busted by the DEA, then she and the kids are free. Even if she never touches that pile of money, if she even knows where it is, she still has the car wash to support herself and the kids - and there is a pretty solid paper trail of the money used to buy the car wash was from the money Walt (supposedly) won by gambling.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,544 times
I'm an optimist. I think Walt just wants Todd's uncle to pull up his carpet and subflooring so they can get rid of the gas smell....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV