Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 08:02 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Ok, Michael. . . what was I missing? I thought it was ungodly horrid. What were those opening notes? They were ear-piercing and seemed to have no connection to the song. And talk about making it sound like there were only 3 notes in the song!! And moving? Is Kara kidding? What am I not getting? Someone please explain it to me.
Well, I don't know, because I don't have any background in music so just go by what I feel and hear. There are some contestants who make you feel nervous when they take the stage, because you worry that they are going to make a fool of themselves. When they get through the song without some big booboo, you feel relieved. Whew! That's over and they didn't screw up. No matter how good they may have sounded, I don't like feeling that anxiety when watching them!

Then there are other performers where, you know the minute they take the mic they are going to deliver. You feel calm and you know you're going to enjoy it. You know they are capable of pulling it off every time. The only contestants who make me feel that way are Crystal and Michael. He has a powerful voice and he hits the notes (as far as my untrained ear can tell anyway). I don't know what they are talking about with "the movement." Basically you have to disregard 3/4 of whatever Kara says since she's an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:11 AM

235 posts, read 510,814 times
Seriously, could Kara and Simon be any more annoying this season? Mostly Kara. Get off the man already! It's so unprofessional and just annoying. She clearly thinks she is taking over Simon's spot next year and being the new 'star'. What's up with her and Ellen? You can see how cold they are to each other...I don't think they've even looked at each other over the last few weeks.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:14 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,556,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ho View Post
I didn't think "Big Mike" was all that great. Kara is weird.

I really like Crystal, Aaron Kelly is good (nice kid too). Don't like Lily, Page, or Toddrick. Tonight ought to be interesting though.

My kids watch this show, and I watch it with them. I have a 9 year old daughter that's blind and her goal is to go on American Idol when she's 17. My daughter plays piano, guitar, sax, and drums and she sings gospel that would bring tears to your eyes (in a good way - that is).

My wife and I are very reluctant to let her pursue this American Idol goal, because she's blind and I'm not sure how well she'd be "accepted", as it were.

We adopted her from Africa when she was just 8 months old, and we're both very protective of her.
They've already had a blind contestant. Remember Scott? Was that last season or the season before?

I wouldn't worry about her being blind, just being able to endure the harsh criticism. Altho, I'm sure it's still mild compared to really being in the music biz.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 AM

Haha yeah, I like Big Mike

Last edited by Beretta; 03-11-2010 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: quoted post has been delted

Old 03-11-2010, 09:00 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post

Well, I don't know, because I don't have any background in music so just go by what I feel and hear. There are some contestants who make you feel nervous when they take the stage, because you worry that they are going to make a fool of themselves. When they get through the song without some big booboo, you feel relieved. Whew! That's over and they didn't screw up. No matter how good they may have sounded, I don't like feeling that anxiety when watching them!

Then there are other performers where, you know the minute they take the mic they are going to deliver. You feel calm and you know you're going to enjoy it. You know they are capable of pulling it off every time. The only contestants who make me feel that way are Crystal and Michael. He has a powerful voice and he hits the notes (as far as my untrained ear can tell anyway). I don't know what they are talking about with "the movement." Basically you have to disregard 3/4 of whatever Kara says since she's an idiot.
I actually agree with almost every bit of this. I only differ where it comes to Michael hitting the notes in last night's song. Those opening notes were just plain strange, and even though he may have been technically correct throughout the rest, like they said to Andrew, it only had 3 notes, so how hard could they have been to hit?

Yeah, Kara's proving to be quite an idiot this season (I actually liked her last season), but how does one explain all the other judges drooling over that 3-note song?

It's not meant to be a criticism of Michael in general. I actually think it's going to be him and Crystal in the final 2. He's great, for sure. But not last night. And yet he got slobbered over, almost literally. Sometimes I'm convinced I'm watching a different show than the judges are.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:23 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
i think i'm done this year - hard to say goodbye because it's become kind of a habit and there are a couple i'm interested in, but it's just not that good right now

from the fake interaction with the judges (including the creepy ellen on simon) to last week having kara lean into simon and this week simon into kara (if you have it on DVR look at their microphones, she was centered with hers and his was at his left elbow - when she was talking you could see half his face ... annoying)

the commentary is pretty bad from them as well

i didn't mind lilly and found her interesting until she absolutely butchered patsy cline who just had a golden voice and then gets praised for it

people need to quit trying to sing like freddy mercury as well

andrew I find interesting, but his song choices are terrible - i know they have limitations but something from dave matthews (satelite), sublime (santeria/what I got/bad fish), jack johnson (horizon has been defeated, flake, upside down)

in the past the bad were at least entertaining and interesting with some personality ..... you had some good with a couple flaws and a couple exceptional ones who brought it everyweek

this year it seems that the bad is a greater proportion and they are boring ....... there may be one or two with exceptional potential - and the good have more flaws than most and have some very flat moments

Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

this year it seems that the bad is a greater proportion and they are boring ....... there may be one or two with exceptional potential - and the good have more flaws than most and have some very flat moments
You seem to be forgetting "Goat Girl" Carmen Rasmusen, Leah LaBelle (and the entire godawful group that was season 3), Sanjaya, and "Chicken Little" Kevin Covais, just to name a few.

And those are the ones who made it past the top 24 rounds, which we're still in. You don't remember how horrid most of the voted-off contestants were during these rounds in previous seasons because we barely got to see them for very long. Trust me, this season is no worse than any other as far as the talent at this stage of the show.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
it definitely feels like it is - people like sanjaya, covais, the obnoxious chick who was a cross between streisand and fran drescher, etc were pretty much comic relief

there were also moments of "i can't believe they let so and so go" ... here it's "eh, makes sense and btw take tim and a couple others with you......"

you're right about season 3 - that season was brutal and this season seems to be more of the same - john stevens, george huff, jasmine trias?!?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:55 AM

446 posts, read 831,478 times
What I could understand from Big Mike's song was that it was about childbirth, aka, woman's work. Guess he sang it for his wife but who knew Kara was going to totally wig on it. She must be MAJOR PMS'ing to cry like that....literally GOOSH on national television. WTF is wrong with her?

I like Mike, a lot. I think he's really good and has potential. Love the 16 year old kid that sings country. Amazing the presence he has for **16** years old. Imagine him in 5 years!

I think the girls suck...all but Crystal. I'm so sick of people talking about her teeth and her appearance. This isn't a freaking beauty contest, it's a singing contest. If people are THAT shallow that they can't look past a SYMETRICAL gap in her mouth (on both sides, ya know?) then I feel sorry for em. She's really, really good.....and I hope she goes a long way and makes enough money to put a tooth on each side so people will shut the **** up about it. I doubt seriously that the people talking about it are perfect.

Anyway....should be interesting tonight. If Lacey doesn't go I'm going to shoot myself.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
What I could understand from Big Mike's song was that it was about childbirth, aka, woman's work. Guess he sang it for his wife but who knew Kara was going to totally wig on it. She must be MAJOR PMS'ing to cry like that....literally GOOSH on national television. WTF is wrong with her?

I like Mike, a lot. I think he's really good and has potential. Love the 16 year old kid that sings country. Amazing the presence he has for **16** years old. Imagine him in 5 years!

I think the girls suck...all but Crystal. I'm so sick of people talking about her teeth and her appearance. This isn't a freaking beauty contest, it's a singing contest. If people are THAT shallow that they can't look past a SYMETRICAL gap in her mouth (on both sides, ya know?) then I feel sorry for em. She's really, really good.....and I hope she goes a long way and makes enough money to put a tooth on each side so people will shut the **** up about it. I doubt seriously that the people talking about it are perfect.

Anyway....should be interesting tonight. If Lacey doesn't go I'm going to shoot myself.
Maybe Kara is starting to hear her clock tick? LOL.

I actually think the girls are way better than the guys on a whole.

I want Lacey to go home too, but I predict it'll be Paige and that young girl with the long brown hair that sang first the other night (I forget her name? Katy?).

Not sure which guys will go home. Andrew Garcia has been pretty disappointing, idk how much longer he can hang on w/ these so/so performances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV