Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,243,345 times

Advertisements

The Stern possibility has already been quashed, I understand. And that's a good thing IMO....it would have ruined it as a family show because there's no way he could control the filth that comes out of his mouth. Also it's a competition for very young people and they have no interest in him.....many don't know who he is and would not be amused by him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 02:21 PM

18,061 posts, read 27,513,871 times
I thought Ellen was brilliant during the elimination process, so there's no reason she couldn't continue to do well on the show.

I think all the judges need to take 10 steps back and decide where they are going to draw the line with their stupid and downer comments. Assess the talent you have left, realize that some will climb and step their game up and some will fall.

Stop dogging their choice of song and right to be there competing. It's your (judges, especially Simon) damn show and you created all of this.

It's not the nervous and in some cases green talent out there that's making the show horrible. It's the judges extreme negativity and all the props that make up the show. Even the alumni that come back to sing are shell shocked and nervous to perform.

The interplay between Randy, Seacrest and Simon is way overplayed too. Randy, don't boo Simon. Boo yourself. Nobody seems genuine anymore.

The big highlight of the show seems to be Ryan rubbing Simon's latest insult back into the contestant's eyes one last time.

If all the talent sucks, too bad. Bite your tongue and make the most of it. I think the talent that's out there is being stiffled and they would come into their own if given a chance... like if none of the judges were there or something.

To just bash Ellen over this doesn't seem relevant. Look at the whole picture.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,392,358 times
First off - If you aren't watching Ellen's show, you may not know that she has brought several of the voted off contestants onto her show to give them another shot. She is also Tweeting about the show, and has a regular feature on her show about it. The Producers are not stupid. They knew without an ADAM guaranteed to rivet people to the show, they needed another way to keep the numbers up. Ellen does that. She pushes her fans to watch the show. That doesn't hurt the AI franchise. And no matter what you think about her, the fact that she's willing to give some of the kids another shot is pretty cool.

Another observation - Getting on the auditions makes these people famous - if even for 15 minutes. Getting in the top 50 is another feather in their cap. Then getting into the top 24 makes them even more famous. So I would bet that every single one of them who made it to the top 24 will have their lives changed in (hopefully) good ways because they made it that far. I hope that the smaller record labels, smaller singers agents, and maybe the music lovers in their home towns will take them under their wings and help them get where they want to go. You can't possibly go to Hollywood and live through that taste of the industry without coming home changed. Haeley will go home and get music lessons. She will grow up a little. She will develop her voice better. And she will be ok. And forever she will have a story to tell her kids about the time she sang and cried on the American Idol show. They all know there's a pretty high chance they will not make it to the top. Only one of them will win. And standing back stage and listening to a couple of those singers would make me want to run for the hills.

I like Crystal. She's a little quirky, so she might not make it. But she's got chops. And she is grounded. She doesn't get all emotional if the judges critique her. She knows who she is. I think that is one of her best qualities. And not to keep repeating it, but go watch Meryl Streep on one of the movies where she sings. Crystal is a better singer, but her energy is the same. Streep is a little odd. She's used that to her advantage. So many of the other singers are - to quote Simon - "forgettable."

He knows this industry. He allows the other doofuses on the judges tables to do whatever they do. But he knows who will survive and who will get eaten up in Hollow wood. I know some pretty stellar human beings who went there and were practically eaten alive. Or they turned into real phonies. "Kiss kiss hug hug. I'll Call ya! We'll do lunch!"

Being on that platform from here on out is not a bad way to show the world what you have. There are many producers out there who watch this show just to see who's there. I don't know what the agreement the top 24 singers have with AI, but being kicked off may not mean being outside the AI Franchise. They have some sort of legal docs they sign. It's possible Simon or one of the other people involved with the show can jump in and help them with an album whether or not they are voted off.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:31 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,472,012 times
every single one of them who made it to the top 24 will have their lives changed in (hopefully) good ways because they made it that far

I'd like to think that -- but followups with former AI contestants who made it into the Top 10 dont substantiate that. Many are back doing what they were doing (bartending, singing in nightclubs, etc) before AI.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,959,057 times
Thumbs down American Idol this season sucks..

No talent at all between the boys and girls. Simon couldn't be leaving at a better time. The rating are going to falling off a cliff soon. I'm done with it

Old 03-09-2010, 07:02 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,560,617 times
I'm thinking that this maybe the final season.....hopefully!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:38 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,472,012 times
Agreed! I've watched it enthusiastically every season, but I cant get excited about anyone this time.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,392,358 times
That doesn't mean their lives weren't changed. Some of them may have decided this really ISN'T the path they wanted to follow. I would think some of them really aren't cut out for that world. It's brutal, and Simon is only the tip of that iceberg. That being said, there are no wasted moments. What a huge opportunity to learn about yourself. To get up there and put yourself on the line and see what you are made of. And if they decided to go back to bartending or whatever, they still will always have that. I've competed nationally in some things, nothing to that extent, but the whole experience is a learning one. And the memories get sweeter with time. If that isn't their experience now, it may be down the road. Or not. But what I was saying is that none of them leave there unchanged.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:58 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,112,535 times
Default Who are your favorite contestants of American Idol 2010?

Who are your favorite contestants of American Idol 2010? Mine are Crystal, Siabhan, Casey, Michael, Didi, Lee, Janell and Tyler, I was pissed when Janell and Tyler got voted off in the Top 24 when I really thought they were gonna be in the Top 12

Old 03-10-2010, 01:59 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,112,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
No talent at all between the boys and girls. Simon couldn't be leaving at a better time. The rating are going to falling off a cliff soon. I'm done with it
I thought this year's female competition is the best one we've had since Season 5 but I don't think this year's male competition is as good as the previous seasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV