Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 09:21 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I know its terrible but there is something about Kara that I just can't stand. Maybe its that I feel like she is acting most of the time. There is something seriously wrong with the show this year, I don't think it is Ellen though because at least she is real. I just think its the fault of the judges that we ended up with such bad contestants this year. This is depressing!
Kara is a little annoying. LOL. It was so much better when it was just Randy, Paula, and Simon imo. When Simon goes the show will never be the same again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 09:36 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,835 times
Quote:
I know its terrible but there is something about Kara that I just can't stand. Maybe its that I feel like she is acting most of the time. There is something seriously wrong with the show this year, I don't think it is Ellen though because at least she is real. I just think its the fault of the judges that we ended up with such bad contestants this year. This is depressing!
I agree with your opinion of Kara. I can't pinpoint it either, but there is something not likeable about her. I usually turn her down, or tune her out when she voices her opinion. Maybe its the way she projects her opinion, sort of like a teenager who really thinks they have knowledge to judge something, but doesn't have the experience to back it up. This season is a disaster so far. Don't know if I will bother with next weeks episodes...

Old 02-27-2010, 10:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
I know its terrible but there is something about Kara that I just can't stand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Kara is a little annoying. LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
I agree with your opinion of Kara. I can't pinpoint it either, but there is something not likeable about her.
I never liked her from day one. I hate the way she moves her head from side to side when she talks.

I don't think she's popular with many. You'd think that American Idol would get a clue.

Who was she before American Idol anyway? Seriously. I had never heard of her.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
..... but doesn't have the experience to back it up.
I also felt this way until a few minutes ago when I looked up her bio to see where she came from.

Apparently, she is considered to be the one judge who is the most qualified to judge. She is a very accomplished songwriter.

Kara DioGuardi - American Idol Judge - Kara DioGuardi Biography

Who knew?

Old 02-27-2010, 10:13 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I also felt this way until a few minutes ago when I looked up her bio to see where she came from.

Apparently, she is considered to be the one judge who is the most qualified to judge. She is a very accomplished songwriter.

Who knew?
Yeah I knew she had credentials, I think she's even written songs for Mariah Carey or something. Still annoying tho. LOL!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:24 AM

699 posts, read 2,895,069 times
I also think there is something with the sound this year. Most of their voices appear to be flat or soft in the volume area and the arrangements with the background singers are terrible. If they pump up the sound to the contestants, maybe I'll change my opinion but for now nobody really stands out.

I am impressed with Ellen . Although she is a comedienne, she has brought to light a serious, and soft side. I agree Paula had to go so Ellen is a great replacement as she has compassion but also gives opinions as the normal public would. After all, now it is up to the public to vote. I respect Kara and she is well spoken. I do feel though, without Simon, the ratings will drop and it will be the end of the show.

But really, I agree with the person who posted to "fire the sound-guy".

Old 02-27-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
I also think there is something with the sound this year. Most of their voices appear to be flat or soft in the volume area and the arrangements with the background singers are terrible. If they pump up the sound to the contestants, maybe I'll change my opinion but for now nobody really stands out.

But really, I agree with the person who posted to "fire the sound-guy".
I totally agree! There is definitely something wrong with the sound.

Some of the singer's voices are canned---as if the sound system is turned off. The music is louder than the singers in some.

And the backup singers are ABSOLUTELY AWEFUL!

Ryan said they were Michael Jackson's backup singers. YIKES! Those backup singers ruined quit a few songs!

Why doesn't American Idol know that the backup singers are terrible and the sound system is messed up? How could they not know?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Who knew?
Great link. "265 of [her songs] have been released on major record labels worldwide and more than 165 have appeared on multi-platinum albums." That's impressive. I think part of it is that SHE is not comfortable in front of the camera. If you are writer, you spend a lot of time in your head. She has given good advice. I was surprised tonight at how different she looks. She's beautiful. Great hair and makeup, and great dress. Someone is working with her.

I don't know -- I couldn't do this every week on TV. And I'd be nervous sitting next to someone like Simon with such a strong cynical personality.

The first 3 male singers didn't do it for me. Todrick seems to have "stage presence" -- But i think they are all warming up. I just don't care for the type of music they chose for tonight -- it seems they are all being told to do these songs slow and lounge-y... then they all get criticized for singing it lounge-y... I wonder how much has to do with the band and the directors! Plus, do they have a list to choose from? You know they are paying royalties on all these songs.

What's with Randy? He's telling people to "just sing it" -- and he criticizes people for NOT changing it up, then he criticizes them FOR changing it up. Then Simon trashes them.

It feels like none of these people are getting any guidance. "Let's hang them all out to dry and see whose life we can destroy! What a fun show!"

Well, it seems I'm watching alone tonight... so that may say more than any of us can put on here. Are you listening AI?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,900 times
I voted for the 16 yr old last night and got through every single time.
Don't know if it was because nobody likes him or because nobody is watching this year.
First year for getting all my calls through but I love his voice and hope I'm not the only one.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
What's with Randy? He's telling people to "just sing it" -- and he criticizes people for NOT changing it up, then he criticizes them FOR changing it up. Then Simon trashes them.

It feels like none of these people are getting any guidance. "Let's hang them all out to dry and see whose life we can destroy! What a fun show!"
Their advice is driving me crazy too! Why can't they realize they contradict themselves? They're always saying "make it your own" and to not "sing it like the original" and then they tear them down for "changing it up too much." The judges seem to be way harsher this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Well, it seems I'm watching alone tonight... so that may say more than any of us can put on here. Are you listening AI?
They might be listening a little---the sound improved somewhat. But those aweful background singers are still ruining songs! I noticed in the first few songs, backup singers weren't used and the songs sounded much better. I thought maybe AI got rid of them, but then they were in other songs. Hopefully, the contestants will realize how the background singers are ruining songs and they'll change the arrangements to not include background singers or pick songs that don't need them. I could care less if they were Michael Jackson's background singers. They're terrible!

Anyway, I don't think the guys did that bad last night. They're not ready to be super stars, but it was clear that many of them have nice voices and can sing. They just need to find their groove and get their game.

I'm dreading the girl's tonight because I thought they were worse than the guys. It surprised me when Simon thought the girls had the lead over the guys. WHAT?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV