Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,675,460 times

Advertisements

The topic of this thread is Verified Tier 5 information. All other posts will be deleted.
If you want to discuss something else, start a new thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 01:27 PM

870 posts, read 1,406,075 times
Default McDermott Announces Hearing on Responding to Long-Term Unemployment

Advisories :: Chairman McDermott Announces Hearing on Responding to Long-Term Unemployment (http://waysandmeans.house.gov/press/PRArticle.aspx?NewsID=11200 - broken link)

Old 06-09-2010, 05:04 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,050,471 times
Default MeDermott Interview on Ed Schultz

Ed just interviewed Jim McDermott. It was a short but excellent interview in which 99er's were addressed. McDermott said that he could not see how we could abandon the 5 million people who would fall off the rolls after 99 weeks, the people who helped build this country. He went so far as to say he would support a plan where they would do public works for their unemployment checks to help them live while looking for a job.

Perhaps Congress doesn't have a plan for Tier 5, but Jim McDermott has apparently been thinking about it.

It is too soon for a transcript of the interview, but I urge you to write them both - to thank them for addressing the issue and and to forward your stories, thoughts, suggestions to the committee.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30031533/

Last edited by nj185; 06-09-2010 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Insert Link

Old 06-10-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Ed just interviewed Jim McDermott. It was a short but excellent interview in which 99er's were addressed. McDermott said that he could not see how we could abandon the 5 million people who would fall off the rolls after 99 weeks, the people who helped build this country. He went so far as to say he would support a plan where they would do public works for their unemployment checks to help them live while looking for a job.

Perhaps Congress doesn't have a plan for Tier 5, but Jim McDermott has apparently been thinking about it.

It is too soon for a transcript of the interview, but I urge you to write them both - to thank them for addressing the issue and and to forward your stories, thoughts, suggestions to the committee.

The Ed Show - msnbc.com

Just finished getting off the phone with House Rep. Jim McDermott's office and sent a thank you to be passed along by the staff member. She was pleased to take it to Rep McDermott and mentioned that Rep McDermott was attempting in todays meetings to address the 99er's plight and come up with solutions.

I'd encourage all that can to contact McDermott's office with encouragements and a thank you.

Here is Jim McDermott's contact info:

DC Address:
The Honorable Jim McDermott
United States House of Representatives
1035 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-4707DC

Phone: 202-225-3106

DC Fax: 202-225-6197

Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,503 times
[quote=mick47us;14557808]I think that if the US Government wants to see a real Tea Party, they will have better pass a tier 5 for all unemployed people....Peolple of this Country it's time for us to stand up and be heard, If they don't fix this mess, we will have to do it anyway we can, we will get money, we will get food to feed our kids, and show them that America is still for the people, and by the people ONLY, not some fat cat millioniares out in left field thinking that this would be ok to do to thier own people, AMERICAN'S UNITE and lets show these people who is really running the show, WE ARE SICK OF THIS!...We did it in the 60's, and 70's and it's time to do it again!...POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:57 AM

613 posts, read 961,903 times
I don't if any of you are aware of this, but Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) supports Tier 5. I am adding her to my list to start calling.

Here's the Senator on video:

Kirsten Gillibrand Supports Tier 5 Unemployment Extensions - US Unemployed Blogspot

Old 06-11-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
I don't if any of you are aware of this, but Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) supports Tier 5. I am adding her to my list to start calling.

Here's the Senator on video:

Kirsten Gillibrand Supports Tier 5 Unemployment Extensions - US Unemployed Blogspot

Hopefully she still supports TIER V (that article was back in APRIL 27th)

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 06-11-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 06:15 PM

613 posts, read 961,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Man View Post
Hopefully she still supports TIER V (that article was back in APRIL 27th)
Well as far as I am concerned, when there is no one in Congress coming forward with verbal comments/statements regarding their support for Tier 5, I think the Gillibrand video is a home run, whether its from 6 weeks ago or not. The title of the thread is Verified Tier 5 info. I think the video fits into that category.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
Well as far as I am concerned, when there is no one in Congress coming forward with verbal comments/statements regarding their support for Tier 5, I think the Gillibrand video is a home run, whether its from 6 weeks ago or not. The title of the thread is Verified Tier 5 info. I think the video fits into that category.

I'm for and supportive of any video and/or form of getting the word out that can be used. After listening to the video I do see conviction in her statements and would not doubt she'd be equally as dedicated 'today' in her views on a TIER V. She'd be a good Senator to call and follow up on. I hadn't seen her other than this video, that's quite a support if we can follow up on her with calls to her office:

DC Address:
The Honorable Kirsten Gillibrand
United States Senate
478 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510-3203

DC Phone:202-224-4451
DC Fax:202-228-0282

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 06-14-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 AM

348 posts, read 707,691 times
If only her attitude would spread like a cold!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment