Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 11:01 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,355 times

Advertisements

I was looking around at an Antique store in a very old building and they had another seperate room in the back for storage with cabinets & furniture, I got a strange feeling like a chill that went through my body and as I was walking by an old cabinet the door slowly opened up all by itself? like an invisible person just opened it, it didnt make any sense how it could happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 12:20 PM

434 posts, read 1,041,481 times
For the most part this can be logically explained but who knows maybe it was something else.....
I never had this happened to me before or after and by far the creepiest thing that has ever happened to me.
So I'm asleep in the hotel. I wanna say it was Cincinnati but it could of been TN or somewhere else. And it wasn't one of those ghost hotels either. So I wake and than a sound!!!! Than I'm being something like violently choked!!!! Can't remember how long but it was long enough. ..probably less than a minute I'm thinking. I'm pretty sure I prayed for help and it stops eventually. From there I put on the TV and take forever to go back to sleep.
I say this can be logically explained because it was probably sleep paralysis which I had before especially as a kid. But never ever have I had sleep paralysis like that!

Old 09-19-2014, 06:21 PM

560 posts, read 787,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Gosh, my friend's...not into alternative anything...an executive in an internationally famous company.

In her DC condo...many things were happening...but this one got me...poor thing was sleeping with a cross
on her chest!

3-4 am....a quarter was spinning like a top on her hardwood floors at her bedside.

GEEZE!

Edit: Oh, and she lost her substantial deposit fleeing from that place!
Good Golly Miss Hepburn!!!! Your ghostly little anecdote has given me a serious case of the heebie-jeebies! A quarter spinning like a top? Noooooooo! Glad she had the good sense to move.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:05 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
This isn't awesome but it's my personal best and among the few. To this day I don't know exactly what it was. Could have a very practical explanation, but we were freaked out at the time.

I was 12 years old. My best friend from next door and I were upstairs in my bedroom. My friend said to me, "Doesn't it freak you out to be living in the house your grandmother lived in, and now she's dead?"

I said, "No, why should it?"

She kind of gave a shudder and said, "I don't know...it would just feel...weird. Do you ever hear her or anything?"

"No," I laughed, then deadpanned (no pun intended), "I mean because she's dead and all."

She said "That's not what I meant! I meant like in..."

"Ghosts?"

"I guess..."

I said, "No, I haven't...I almost wish I could" and at that exact moment, I mean this isn't selective memory or anything, we heard someone coming up the stairs, very clearly, at a normal, casual pace. Nothing ominous about the steps at all. That didn't bother me - after all, my whole family lived in the house.

But as I opened my mouth to say something else, my door slammed...and I mean SLAMMED shut. As if someone had put all his her weight into it.

Naturally, we screamed, LOL. Then we both fell on top of each other laughing. We assumed it was a cross-current; my window was open.

But here's the weird part. I immediately jumped up to run across the little hall to ask my sister if she had been an idiot and slammed my door or something. I burst into her room accusingly and...well, she wasn't there. (But you guessed that.)

Nobody was there. In the entire upstairs. The upstairs consisted of only two bedrooms, and a bathroom. And the bathroom was empty.

So the only thing I can't explain, and can't explain easily with the creaky house idea or what-have-you is the sound of footsteps on the stairs. They were regular, like normal footsteps and they got louder as they seemed to be getting closer (farther up the stairs - closer to us) just like normal footsteps.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:10 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Not so much a ghost story, but I'm convinced it was a supernatural encounter. I was 17. My Dad and I lived on a small ranch, in a very rural area. I was alone in the house that night, like myriad other nights. No spooky feelings or weird stuff . Just another night.

I went to bed around 10. Normal enough. I was pretty tired and fell asleep quick. What seemed like a short time later the sound of the back door opening woke me up. I just lay there, thought maybe Dad had come home early. Then I heard a strange sound across the mud room floor, like a scraping sound, and then the rapid clicking of what sounded like a dog crossing the kitchen. I remember thinking to myself that it was strange that the dog was in the house.

The claw clicking then went from the kitchen to the hardwood floor in the hallway. So I rolled over a bit trying to see in the dark and called the dogs name. The clicking went from walk to run and something landed on top of me, but it wasn't our dog. I couldn't breathe and was pinned down. I remember straining and trying to fight, but whatever was on me didn't have a physical form. Nothing there to grab. Just a weight that was smothering me. Then, it was gone. I sat up, shaking like a dog shi77ing peach seeds and tried to wrap my head around what happened. I was wide awake. There was no moment of waking, and realizing it was just a dream or anything.

I never forgot that. Its never happened again, but thinking about it still sppoks me....

Old 09-22-2014, 04:27 PM

113 posts, read 113,898 times
I can tell you a supernatural story that happened to me.In 1998 I was really struggling financially.My little girl was getting ready for her first day of school in kinder.I only had 30.00 to my name.I was trying to decide whether to buy school clothes and shoes or food.While walking to school with her that morning I was praying for help.We were taking a short cut under an overpass and across the street was an old thrift store and out front was an old chest of drawers.I stopped and started staring at the old chest,I I watched myself go over to it and open each drawer one at a time.I am still across the street while this is happening.By the time I got to the third drawer,I lifted up the lining in it and there was a stack of money under the lining.Each one of the drawers was lined in christmas paper.After I snapped out of it,I took my daughter to school and went back to the little shop.The owner was closing up and I asked him about the chest.He said it was 30.00.I gave him the money and my address and he told me he would deliver it after five that evening.That was every dime I had.I was a nervous wreckby the time five o clock came and an old truck pulled up with the chest. After it was put inside and the man left,I was shaking.I walked over to it and opened the top drawer and it was lined in christmas paper,so wad the second drawer and by the time I got to the third drawer I thought my heart was going to stop.There under the lining,was an old brown envelope stuffed with twenty dollar bills.I bought food and my little girl a new backpack and school shoes.I still have the envelope.I will take it with me to my grave.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:37 PM

1,289 posts, read 723,005 times
Great stories here, guys & gals, thanks!!

My work has had some recent experiences to add to the list as of late. (in case you didn't start at the beginning, I relay several experiences early on in this thread)

If you'd like, I'll take the in the time to add them here. What ya say? (and what you think of the other stories about my work?go check them out! first one on post #25)

Until then, keep 'em coming!!

Old 09-24-2014, 03:15 PM

277 posts, read 328,058 times
About 12 or 13 years ago I lived in a brownstone in downtown Boston. There were five people living in the building, all elderly except me. Two of the older men were friends with one living on the second floor, one living on the third directly above him. We were all friendly but these two were close.

The one on the third floor was a bit older than his friend on the second floor. He'd pound his cane on his floor, his friends ceiling, when he needed something.

The man on the third floor died of prostate cancer and it was pretty horrible. I was not there the night they took him away but his friend told me he was begging the EMTs not to bring him to the Veteran's Hospital. Sure enough, the man ended up at the Veteran's Hospital and died either that night or the next day.

A few days or maybe a week later I was visiting the man on the second floor and he is taking about his friend and some odd goings on since he died. He was taking it in stride. While talking there is a thumping on the ceiling, his friends floor.

The man said " now thats been going on awhile " and I figured it was pipes or something. But I am standing in his small one bedroom apartment facing the sink. The man is just off to my left. The left hand side faucet handle turns on at normal speed and water starts coming out as you would normally expect.

I'm standing there with my mouth wide open facing the sink and say something like " Jim..the water just turned - " and he interrupts and says " oh, that again. That's been happening too " and quickly walks over to the faucet and turns it off.

Now this is a bright sunny day with plenty of sunlight coming in. We are not drunk. What happened did so about 15 feet in front of me. I saw it happen.

Jim really didn't want to talk about any of it then or later. Tried laughing it off but I knew full well he was not enjoying this.
No idea what else happened up in the room as Jim just stayed quite about it.

----------

This experience alone has caused me to carefully listen to anyone with similar stories. I don't like to say it but I would normally would have dismissed such things many years ago. But being faced with something so radically different than what is considered normal, daily experiences changed that.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:53 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Can I share one my dad told us as kids?

He lived in a small town and just like every small town, there was an old abandoned house. Of course -- it was haunted by the old man who, a .
hundred years ago, may have murdered his whole family, or just his wife, or the housekeeper -- it all depended on who was telling the story. All they knew was -- the Old Mullins House was haunted. By Old Man Mullins.

The bigger kids would taunt the younger kids into going into the house to spend the night, and no one ever managed the whole night. NO ONE. Not even the big kids. Chains rattled, lights would appear in a house with no electricity, voices were heard. And on the full moon, the piano would play.

The piano had no strings.

One night, the older kids were goading my Dad and his friend Potty into going into the old Mullins House. They were too cowardly to spend even an HOUR in the house -- no way, not even an hour.

My dad had no fear, and he talked Potty into joining him. The two boys gathered up some flashlights and courage, and went to the Mullins house. They went around the back of the house, where the storm cellar doors were. They knew they weren't locked.

Down into the basement they went, and up the basement stairs and into the house. It was everything you would expect. Tons of dust, and years of cobwebs and neglect. Most of the furniture had old crumbling dust covers over it, but the grand piano was uncovered and open.

My dad checked -- no strings.

Potty swung around "What's that?" he whispered. My dad looked at Potty, like he was nuts. "Why are you whispering? Speak loud, let 'em know we aren't scared."

There was some scuttling noises. Dad said rats.

They went into the kitchen and saw a light flash -- just a second -- but just enough that you knew it knew it was there. It looked like it was from the adjoining dining room, so the boys headed there next.

Dad saw a beautiful crystal chandelier, somehow no dust lay on it all, and it sparkled, even in the darkness. "See Potty -- that's all that was... a car must've went by and the crystals caught the headlights."

Then they heard the clanking and dragging.... something they couldn't explain away. They rounded the corner to the hallway and came face to face to Old Man Mullins, pulling a long heavy chain up the stairs...

The boys stop and stared, and the ghost stared at them... then Potty asked "Sir, why are you pulling that chain?"

Old man Mullins replied -- "Did you ever try to push one?"

I know this is a cheat, but my dad told us this story a few times growing up. He'd really sell it and it would get SO tense that when the ending came it was SO funny. I hope I did it some justice.

My dad loved this sort of stuff, too. I remember one year my sisters (7 and 8 years older than me) had a Halloween party and eight year old me was NOT allowed to show my face. The party was in the game room, and that game room had a huge sliding glass door AND was directly under my bedroom. I was sulking in my room, and Daddy came in with a couple of old white dress shirts on hangers and a couple of those tissue paper folding pumpkins, and clothesline. We stuffed the shirts with some newspaper and inserted flashlights so they'd glow from inside, attached the pumpkins to the necks and fashioned them into scary ghosts.... waited until my sisters turned down the lights and they were playing Ouija.... and lowered the ghosts from my window...

My sisters and their friends FREAKED.... and I was a big part of the party.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:39 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,899,912 times
I'd like to give you this story that a friend told me. It was a number of years ago when his sons were still small.

My friend had had some trouble with his vehicle and a guy came over to help him put another battery in it. This was a guy my friend knew, but wasn't close to and was really surprised to get an offer of help from.

Anyway, with the battery in his truck and driving home with his son a couple days later, they passed a group of four men standing by the road, including the man who had helped my friend. As my friend drove by, the guy lifted his hand as if to wave. My friend waved back. His son asked, "Who was that man you were waving at, Daddy?". My friend replied, "Oh, that's the man who helped me the other day."

My friend arrived home several minutes later, only to find out that the guy who had just waved to him on the road had committed suicide hours earlier that day. When contacted later, the men my friend had seen standing by the road said they were the only ones there that day and there was no fourth man with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal