Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:13 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Orbs are simply the flash from the camera bouncing off of a dust mote floating in the air. Dust motes are everywhere if you have looked at a room with still air that has direct sunlight beaming through a window.

It is fun thinking these are portals to another world but basically have very
common explanations!
No they are not. My daughter in law and grandson saw orbs in there bedroom, no lights coming in, no dust no sunlight coming in pitch dark at night. They happened to film it, and it was so weird, because the orb was not that small, and moved so fast, then boom there it went. This hapapened more then once, and i do not think that my then grandson 5 would lie his Mom also experienced this. And my family did see it on film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 06:21 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Here is an unexplained image I found on one of my prints.
Taken on Halloween, 2004, at a yard display...
This was caused by slow shutter speed. You had something that was either reflecting light or producing light that was moving faster then the shutter speed. Without having an original digital image of this, I can't tell you what the shutter speed was set at, but, one way to be able to tell this, is if you look at the right of the picture, you can see the motion blur.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:57 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
This was caused by slow shutter speed. You had something that was either reflecting light or producing light that was moving faster then the shutter speed. Without having an original digital image of this, I can't tell you what the shutter speed was set at, but, one way to be able to tell this, is if you look at the right of the picture, you can see the motion blur.
It wasn't a digital camera; it was a 35 mm camera (don't use it anymore.)
The shutter speed was not adjustable and other prints, even of the same scene, did not have that strange image.

Also, the yard display was very dark, especially the scene shown in the photo. And I doubt there was motion blur since the camera was held steady to capture the scene, it was not an action-type display. You can see that the images visible are not blurred, which they would have been if the camera was moving.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:55 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
auntieannie
I've heard this phenomonon referred to as vortex.
thanks--will do some research on that

Old 12-18-2009, 09:34 AM

49 posts, read 114,074 times
I have encountered ghosts from time to time. On one occasion it was at a theatre club in North Hollywood. The televisions in the place were haywire all afternoon and others said ghosts would soon appear. That night I awoke in chill air from my mat on the stage to see a pair of legs 3 feet away from me. I looked around and saw an oriental couple, dressed as if they were cooking in the place, neither looking too pleased. I arose and addressed the couple, blessed them, and released them according to my tradition. They faded from view as I banished. The air warmed and nobody reported any problems after that.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:51 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It wasn't a digital camera; it was a 35 mm camera (don't use it anymore.)
The shutter speed was not adjustable and other prints, even of the same scene, did not have that strange image.

Also, the yard display was very dark, especially the scene shown in the photo. And I doubt there was motion blur since the camera was held steady to capture the scene, it was not an action-type display. You can see that the images visible are not blurred, which they would have been if the camera was moving.
cameras operate off of shutter speed, even 35mm. shutter speed has nothing to do withit being digital or analog. you can believe what you want, but, the shutter speed was low. with a slow shutter speed, the only way to prevent any motion blurr especially from an object that is reflecting or emmiting light is to have it on a tripod. with your hands, you can not hold it steady enough.

if you look at the right side of the picture, you can see other lights that are blurred, light is more succeptable to motion blur then non lighted objects. you have to keep in mind, light is moving at all times.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:17 PM

443 posts, read 1,793,319 times
LOL@Ghost Hunters

Old 12-19-2009, 07:18 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
I just wanna go on ghost hunters to meet the hot babes... LOL

Old 12-20-2009, 12:29 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
No they are not. My daughter in law and grandson saw orbs in there bedroom, no lights coming in, no dust no sunlight coming in pitch dark at night. They happened to film it, and it was so weird, because the orb was not that small, and moved so fast, then boom there it went. This hapapened more then once, and i do not think that my then grandson 5 would lie his Mom also experienced this. And my family did see it on film.
Ah well, we can all have our fantasies! Your eyes do play tricks on you. Shifting light shadows and peripheral vision can make you see funny things.
It is all natural phenomena. It could also have been hoaxed too. Kids and adults love to see if they can fool someone. In all of my years of examining paranormal photos I have yet to see one that was genuine.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:18 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Ah well, we can all have our fantasies! Your eyes do play tricks on you. Shifting light shadows and peripheral vision can make you see funny things.
It is all natural phenomena. It could also have been hoaxed too. Kids and adults love to see if they can fool someone. In all of my years of examining paranormal photos I have yet to see one that was genuine.
What about the Brown Lady ghost photo taken in 1936 or the Tulip Staircase ghost photo taken in 1966?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal