Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2023, 05:12 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Cyclists don't ride on the sidewalk, they either use the road or a cycle lane.
The video you posted clearly shows the cyclist riding on the sidewalk, and the narration insinuates that it is a perfectly normal thing in the UK, that drivers should not only expect, but accommodate the cyclist to do. This type of thing is generally not allowed anywhere in the US, and to the best of my knowledge I doubt it is allowed anywhere else in the world outside the UK. The maneuver explained in the video is simply not safe and no new regulations will ever make it safe. Reason being that the car is too far to the right, and if the cyclist is riding fast or is in the driver's blind spot, chances are good that the driver will never see the cyclist.

This is not bad driving. It's not bad bike riding. It's just bad traffic regulations.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 06:11 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The video you posted clearly shows the cyclist riding on the sidewalk, and the narration insinuates that it is a perfectly normal thing in the UK, that drivers should not only expect, but accommodate the cyclist to do. This type of thing is generally not allowed anywhere in the US, and to the best of my knowledge I doubt it is allowed anywhere else in the world outside the UK. The maneuver explained in the video is simply not safe and no new regulations will ever make it safe. Reason being that the car is too far to the right, and if the cyclist is riding fast or is in the driver's blind spot, chances are good that the driver will never see the cyclist.

This is not bad driving. It's not bad bike riding. It's just bad traffic regulations.
Cycling on the sidewalk (pavement) is illegal in the UK, and you can receive a fine, however this is at the police's discretion, and it's more usual for a warning to be issued.

Cycling on the pavement also opens up the possibility of civil claims for personal injury or property.

The Highway Code also states this more emphatically, stating in Rule 64 that “You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement”.

The Highway Code also now states that cyclist should give way to pedestrians and that drivers of vehicles should give way to cyclists, this is due to the potential fir injury and who would most likely come off worst in an accident.

Each country has it's own laws, and when visiting a foreign country you should familiarise yourself with those laws if you are going to drive or cycle, and you should respect other countries laws.

Even pedestrians would do well to familiarise their rights in relation to road crossings, when walking in foreign countries and cities.

Is it illegal to ride your bicycle on the pavement? - Slater & Gordon

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-13-2023 at 06:22 AM..

Old 02-13-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Cycling on the sidewalk (pavement) is illegal in the UK, and you can receive a fine, however this is at the police's discretion, and it's more usual for a warning to be issued.

Cycling on the pavement also opens up the possibility of civil claims for personal injury or property.

The Highway Code also states this more emphatically, stating in Rule 64 that “You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement”.

The Highway Code also now states that cyclist should give way to pedestrians and that drivers of vehicles should give way to cyclists, this is due to the potential fir injury and who would most likely come off worst in an accident.

Each country has it's own laws, and when visiting a foreign country you should familiarise yourself with those laws if you are going to drive or cycle, and you should respect other countries laws.

Even pedestrians would do well to familiarise their rights in relation to road crossings, when walking in foreign countries and cities.

Is it illegal to ride your bicycle on the pavement? - Slater & Gordon
So then the woman in the road safety video you posted is cycling illegally on the sidewalk? If that is actually the law, then it doesn't seem to be enforced very well.

Old 02-14-2023, 05:01 AM

Quote:
So then the woman in the road safety video you posted is cycling illegally on the sidewalk? If that is actually the law, then it doesn't seem to be enforced very well.
The law is enforced by the police, and if you do cycle on the pavement you open yourself to civil litigation.

There are however the Toucan crossings for cyclists whic allow cyclists to cross the road from a paved position to the other side.

There are also occasionally cycle tracks that are shared with pedestrians however in such circumstances, you must keep to the side intended for cyclists, and the new laws have placed greater criminal and civil liability on cyclists in relation to pedestrians, who can have disabilities or be young children or the elderly.

Not that I am really that interested, but here's the Highway Code rules for cyclists -

Rules for cyclists (59 to 82) - GOV.UK

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-14-2023 at 05:12 AM..

Old 02-14-2023, 04:27 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,166 times
Quote:
Cyclists don't ride on the sidewalk, they either use the road or a cycle lane.

"Certain rules in The Highway Code are legal requirements, and are identified by the words 'must' or 'must not', presented in bold red block capitals. In these cases, the rules also include references to the corresponding legislation. Offenders may be cautioned, given licence penalty points, fined, banned from driving, or imprisoned, depending on the severity of the offence. "
Quote:

Its interesting as the UK is unique that it has very little laws or what highway code calls it must or must nots in relation to traffic unlike most other countries including former English colonies, or US states and Canadian provinces where most every provision is pretty much a Must or Must not do that allows police to write a citation solely for breaching it. On the flip side in UK most are technically suggestive good practices but can be used as evidence should a crash occur. But yet cycling on pavement is a Must not in the UK. However the new updates to rule 170 - 172 I see applies to cyclists riding on the side of the road in general not really condoning riding on pavement/sidewalk. Meaning to give way to pedestrians on sidewalks or cyclists/peds proceeding along the side of the road before emerging from or turning across their path just as you would if you before you turn across the lane of a car or larger vehicle on the road or proceed past a give way sign, which is just common sense and courtesy and merely clarifies what was already the Rule based on 170-172 thus its not a new rule. Interestingly there is a bicycle sign on the sidewalk/pavement in that picture seemingly showing that cycling is allowed on that stretch. I see most cyclists on the videos except that one were riding on the side of the road or the bike lane though. I believe a cyclist or ebiker going 30 on a sidewalk as cloudy's example would likely share equal blame as its a Must not behavior.

Quote:

As for cloudy Day in the US there isn't a blanket ban on cycling on sidewalks aka pavements some cities have certain dismount zones usually in busy areas or towne or city centers where there is a lot of storefronts facing those sidewalks these arn't usually enforced though. Don't know about other EU countries but some do have paths that are on or barely distinguishable to the sidewalk. Though interestingly as I mentioned above there is a bicycle sign on the pavement or sidewalk are those exceptions maybe the sidewalk connects to a bicycle path?
Quote:
What happens in the US is not relevant when driving on the roads in other countries, and you have to respect other countries laws.
As for Brave New World would outcome be any different if Anne struck Harry while he was legally riding his push bicycle along the side of the road not on the sidewalk or was using a pavement/sidewalk legally by other means i.e kick scooter/jogging and Anne turned in to or out of the give way road and ran him over? Its kind of rule to give way but not something that is prosecutable on its own unless an accident occurs. The rule or law is similar to much of the world including even China where many drivers in practice ignore it, its improving though recently.

Though it was the US that extracted her from UK and she might not had a choice even if she desired to stay for the trail. I been thinking whether the UK can penalize the US for "forcefully" removing her so UK cannot try her?

Apparently the biggest issue is not with official laws but local driving customs that can really be dangerous to those who often drive, bike, or walk, between countries i.e truck drivers, business travelers. Ie China has some good laws respecting pedestrians and vulnerable road users however its as good as its constitutional free speech provision in practice.

I was saying how the US judicial system is so messed up and this isn't isolated at all. But this incident at least lets people abroad get to see what Americans have to deal with at home with their "government". I was also asking whether the UK is better at this regard should the same thing happen with a vehicle operated by a governmental agency or other inexcusable faults by the government.

I do agree Diplomats and people like those on that base and their family should have their foreign driving privileges suspended if they misbehave in anyway on the road, as driving in a host country is completely by choice since they usually have drivers or transportation arranged for them for places they need to be. I be curious whether it was a left hand drive vehicle Anne was driving though.

[Mod cut: US is off topic]

Last edited by elnina; 03-31-2023 at 08:36 PM..

Old 02-14-2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
As for cloudy Day in the US there isn't a blanket ban on cycling on sidewalks aka pavements some cities have certain dismount zones usually in busy areas or towne or city centers where there is a lot of storefronts facing those sidewalks these arn't usually enforced though. Don't know about other EU countries but some do have paths that are on or barely distinguishable to the sidewalk. Though interestingly as I mentioned above there is a bicycle sign on the pavement or sidewalk are those exceptions maybe the sidewalk connects to a bicycle path?
Here is the difference. This diagram shows the right and wrong ways that bikes and motor vehicles should interact at intersections in the US, and I believe most of the world. Below that I adopted the diagram to show the new UK rules outlined in the video, which is exactly the opposite of how bikes and cars are supposed to interact in the US.

That posted video is just wrong on so many levels. Everything in it is wrong. Based on my 47 years of driving experience those new regulations outlined in that video can do nothing except increase crashes.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:01 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,166 times
Quote:
Here is the difference. This diagram shows the right and wrong ways that bikes and motor vehicles should interact at intersections in the US, and I believe most of the world. Below that I adopted the diagram to show the new UK rules outlined in the video, which is exactly the opposite of how bikes and cars are supposed to interact in the US.

That posted video is just wrong on so many levels. Everything in it is wrong. Based on my 47 years of driving experience those new regulations outlined in that video can do nothing except increase crashes.

True I was going to post something like this but than my post would be too long. When drivers approach a t junction or a give way sign or turning across a pedestrian/bicycle lane they should zipper merge with the pedestrian/bike rider on those lanes as much as possible, if they are ahead of your vehicle and about to enter the junction give way to them. Drivers shouldn't try to cut off nor barge in front of them expecting them to stop abruptly if they find its inappropriate to do the same to a car, van, truck, bus etc traveling in its lane that they are going to turn across or traveling on the road from which they are entering. Just because they are walking, on a scooter, mobility device, or bike and not in a car we shouldn't treat them as second class citizens of the road but as member of traffic but a vulnerable one. Especially they have little protection, may not gone through driver training, and often no side rear view mirrors and driver is cutting from behind or blindside. This actually goes for anywhere though. The zipper merge also solves the bicycle going 30 miles per hour issue. If they are behind they should stay behind the car which should take their lane position prior to turning and not try to pass on left near a junction.

One improvement I suggest is a second giveway line behind the pedestrian lane which conditions drivers to prepare to give way before crossing the "pavement" or walk lane. One thing north America done right despite car culture is the line placed behind the sidewalk kerb cut not ahead of it, Alerting drivers to peds and bicycles.

I do see they probably used an inappropirate example in that video compared to the others though the bicycle sign on the sidewalk also confused me.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:35 AM

A British man has successfully used the Anne Sacoolas case in order to avoid extradition to the US on international drug trafficking conspiracy charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telegraph

A former Labour councillor has been convicted and sentenced by videolink in the US for his part in an international drug trafficking conspiracy, in what lawyers believe to be a legal first.

Daniel Barwell, who was elected to Doncaster Council in May 2021, was due to be extradited to Ohio to stand trial after he was arrested at his home in South Yorkshire in February last year on suspicion of conspiring to distribute the drug commonly known as magic mushrooms.

But the arrest warrant was rescinded after lawyers claimed the case of US citizen Anne Sacoolas, who was sentenced remotely for causing the death of Harry Dunn by careless driving, "undermined any suggestion that the same could not be done the other way round in this case".

Barwell, who represented the Wheatley Hills and Intake ward on the council, made his first appearance before Westminster Magistrates' Court on February 3 last year when extradition proceedings against him began.

After Judge Sarah Morrison allowed remote proceedings to take place in Barwell's case, he was sentenced at the courthouse in the Southern District of Ohio earlier in March to the prison time he had already served in the UK.

Mr Dunn's mother, Charlotte Charles, told the PA news agency: "I am so pleased to see that (Harry) is still helping to restore the power imbalance and having an impact on the relations between the USA and UK in this case.

"It gives us some comfort that his legacy will be that the USA will never behave like this towards a British citizen again and they are now paying the price for treating us so badly."

Her words come after law firm Doughty Street Chambers, which represented Barwell in the UK, claimed the US government was "initially reluctant to set a precedent" for the remote proceedings, until the position was "overtaken" by the Sacoolas case.

Ex-councillor sentenced for US drug trafficking via video link in 'legal first' - The Telegraph (29th March 2023)

Old 03-30-2023, 12:12 AM

2,334 posts, read 845,901 times
Are drivers in Britain allowed to make a left turn on a red light if safe to do so?

Old 03-30-2023, 08:29 AM

1,494 posts, read 1,671,074 times
No, a red light means stop in all cases. Not quite as many traffic lights in the UK, tend to have roundabouts in places where the US would just stick lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom