Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2022, 05:43 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The UK, and other countries, will not extradite someone to the US if a possible penalty is execution. The execution possibility has to be formally removed.. Why should the US extradite someone to the UK to be hit with a sentence that is disproportionate? Why shouldn't a UK citizen who brutally murders someone in the US be subject to execution if that is the penalty? Are Brits who murder special in some way?
The UK allows the US to extradite it's citizens and allows the US to set up controversial intelligence bases and military bases, therefore it's the UK that is doing the US a lot of favours in this relationship.

The UK could easily revert to a position taken by other European countries that don't extradite their citizens such as Austria, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, France,[ Germany, Norway, Portugal, Switzerland,

Instead, they often have special laws in place that give them jurisdiction over crimes committed abroad by or against citizens. By virtue of such jurisdiction, they can locally prosecute and try citizens accused of crimes committed abroad as if the crime had occurred within the country.

Some countries won't house US bases either for political or constitutional reasons, whilst there are ever stricter data laws relating to US intelligence gathering in EU countries.

As for the the European Convention on Human Rights, it currently has 46 member countries, and prohibits extradition in relation to torture or execution, as for the US not agreeing with the terms, then all that would happen is that all extradition between most of Europe and the US would be halted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 06:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The woman in her 40's was advised to return to the US and has avoided charges.

Apparently the American woman who was driving on the wrong side of the road, is the wife of a diplomat who is based at the US Spy base in Croughton in Northamptonshire, and was advised by US Authorities to go back to the US and claim Diplomatic Immunity. Sadly the 19 year old she hit with her car died of his injuries.

I’m American and I think that this person’s, and the United States’ behavior, is absolutely despicable. New York City tries to go after diplomats for unpaid parking tickets, and the US let someone get off with much worse behavior? Disgraceful.

Old 10-05-2022, 11:02 PM

2,334 posts, read 844,400 times
Quote:
The UK allows the US to extradite it's citizens and allows the US to set up controversial intelligence bases and military bases, therefore it's the UK that is doing the US a lot of favours in this relationship.

The UK could easily revert to a position taken by other European countries that don't extradite their citizens such as Austria, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, France,[ Germany, Norway, Portugal, Switzerland,

Instead, they often have special laws in place that give them jurisdiction over crimes committed abroad by or against citizens. By virtue of such jurisdiction, they can locally prosecute and try citizens accused of crimes committed abroad as if the crime had occurred within the country.

Some countries won't house US bases either for political or constitutional reasons, whilst there are ever stricter data laws relating to US intelligence gathering in EU countries.

As for the the European Convention on Human Rights, it currently has 46 member countries, and prohibits extradition in relation to torture or execution, as for the US not agreeing with the terms, then all that would happen is that all extradition between most of Europe and the US would be halted.
Contact your local MP and ask him or her to refer this to the attention of PM Truss. You might have more luck rather than endlessly repeating it on a discussion forum.

As for not wanting US bases for political or constitutional reasons I'm sure these so called countries are quite happy to be sheltered under the US Military Forces in Europe nevertheless.

With that attitude I would be more than happy to see all the money the US taxpayers contribute to the defence of Europe in a six month period diverted instead to help rebuild Florida and where it would be genuinely appreciated

Old 10-06-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
Contact your local MP and ask him or her to refer this to the attention of PM Truss. You might have more luck rather than endlessly repeating it on a discussion forum.

As for not wanting US bases for political or constitutional reasons I'm sure these so called countries are quite happy to be sheltered under the US Military Forces in Europe nevertheless.

With that attitude I would be more than happy to see all the money the US taxpayers contribute to the defence of Europe in a six month period diverted instead to help rebuild Florida and where it would be genuinely appreciated
There is cross party support in relation to changes to the extradition treaty, and UK courts are increasingly refusing to extradite individuals in relation to the appalling conditions people are subjected to in the US system.

Britons should also not face extradition to the US for alleged crimes committed on UK soil and nor should they be extradited where a case could be dealt with by a UK Court or where prosecutors have not found any crime in the UK.

As for US secret intelligence bases, you can move them wherever you want to, although good luck with the new EU data laws.

As for closing US bases to save money, why don't you write to your member of congress, as I get sick of Americans coming out with this, whilst the US has continually questioned NATO under recent administrations, as well as questioning Article 5.

Furthermore why don't you just go to the American sub-sections of the forum if you feel so strongly.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-06-2022 at 08:03 AM..

Old 10-06-2022, 09:39 AM

2,334 posts, read 844,400 times
Quote:
There is cross party support in relation to changes to the extradition treaty, and UK courts are increasingly refusing to extradite individuals in relation to the appalling conditions people are subjected to in the US system.

Britons should also not face extradition to the US for alleged crimes committed on UK soil and nor should they be extradited where a case could be dealt with by a UK Court or where prosecutors have not found any crime in the UK.

As for US secret intelligence bases, you can move them wherever you want to, although good luck with the new EU data laws.

As for closing US bases to save money, why don't you write to your member of congress, as I get sick of Americans coming out with this, whilst the US has continually questioned NATO under recent administrations, as well as questioning Article 5.

Furthermore why don't you just go to the American sub-sections of the forum if you feel so strongly.
I m already on an American owned forum and under the First Amendment I will wander freely as I like and say what I like within the rules of the forum.

Fact is and please admit it. You just dont like America or Americans

Old 10-06-2022, 10:10 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
I m already on an American owned forum and under the First Amendment I will wander freely as I like and say what I like within the rules of the forum.

This is very true & I have found it is a waste of time to point anything out to some people as they do not wish to comprehend another point of view.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Just because I don't like US Government policy doesn't mean I dislike all Americans, and most of the policy I want changed is in relation to Britain's relationship with America. As for America it can please itself, as it alrready has enough division and internal domestics problems, which are none of my concern.

Just bear in mind that this thread is about the US telling lies to the UK regarding the waiving of immunity, and using disgusting loopholes.

The end result is a British family trying to fight for justice in relation to their dead teenage son, so don't you dare come on here and start telling us that Iam Anti-American.

Does America have unaccountable foreign military and intelligence bases do you have in your country.

Does America put up with other people interfering in it's politics.

Would America ever give up it's currency, laws, constitution and borders in order to join some foreign trading and political organisation.

Would America extradite someone who had committed a crime on American soil and had never been abroad.

Unless the answer to all these questions is 'yes' then you should not be preaching to other nations or interfering in their domestic politics, and I really don't care if you claim to have some connection to this country.

The US is not part of the EU and could never join due to it's protective national sovereignty, and the US is not part of the Commonwealth, so you have even less say than those nations who are in these organisations.

As for the first amendment it means nothing outside of the US, and US Social Media is increasingly subject to other countries criminal and data laws, and this includes the EU and indeed the UK.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-06-2022 at 10:27 AM..

Old 10-06-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
This is very true & I have found it is a waste of time to point anything out to some people as they do not wish to comprehend another point of view.
The only things I support, is the British Government and Parliament changing the current extradition arrangements, something that has a lot of support. I don't believe that British citizens should be subject to US courts for crimes committed in the UK or for which a UK Court could deal with.

I also believe that given the War on Terror and the messy and pointless and wasteful wars in Iraq and Afghanistan there should be a review of British foreign policy.

I believe that the US may not be a reliable future military partner, given that we could see the rise of other Trump like right wing presidential candidates, who could easily question NATO's existence, or indeed Article 5, or could just withdraw from NATO, whilst Biden didn't even bother consulting NATO partners in relation to the withdraw from Afghanistan.

With this is mind, I also believe that there should be a review our defence policy and spending, and prepare ourselves for such a scenario, whilst also reviewing the accountability of such bases and the long term justification for having such bases.

It's worth noting that is you read a lot of the NATO comments in this forum, they are from Americans who basically want to bring their boys home and think all Europeans are free loaders, and this is also part of the reason the UK must be prepared for such a move.

Finally I want to see less American interference in the UK, something which has been more apparent since Brexit.

I don't see how any of this is Anti-American, indeed other European countries go far further than this, including our neighbours such as France.

I will clearly state that I have nothing against the average American, many of whom are not interested in their own politics never mind British politic, which is what you are going to get on a British forum.

It should be noted that people didn't want Britain involved in the Vietnam War in the 1960's, would that constitute Anti-Americanism.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-06-2022 at 10:57 AM..

Old 10-11-2022, 09:40 AM

Latest News.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News

The case of a US citizen charged with causing the death of teenage motorcyclist Harry Dunn by dangerous driving has been brought forward.

Anne Sacoolas, 45, will appear at the Old Bailey for a plea and case management hearing on 20 October, one week earlier than planned.

Mr Dunn, 19, died following a road crash outside a US military base in Northamptonshire in August 2019.

The case is being heard by High Court judge Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb.

Harry Dunn dangerous driving case brought forward - BBC News

Old 10-11-2022, 07:10 PM

1,155 posts, read 961,676 times
"The defendant, who is on unconditional bail, is expected to join proceedings by video link once again."

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-b1031535.html

I'm glad for the family it will all be over soon. Earlier this month, the UK press reported that the driver is expected to plead guilty to Death by Careless Driving.

Most likely, the driver will be sentenced to community service and a fine. It's to her credit that she decided to come before the court and bring this painful episode to a close. She could have just stayed quiet and done nothing at all. The US State Department has twice refused to extradite her and said their decision was final.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom