Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2022, 07:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,153,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

The US has also had to sign a new agreement clearly stating that dependents do not have immunity in any shape or form, and that no one has immunity off base in relation to Croughton, the other option being to simple close the facility.
This was after the event in question, operative word being "new." It doesn't pertain to what happened prior to the "new agreement."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 07:27 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,620,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This was after the event in question, operative word being "new." It doesn't pertain to what happened prior to the "new agreement."
nobody said it does.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:27 AM

27,332 posts, read 13,588,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I didn't say it did.

The sad thing is lots of American forum members treating this as some kind of victory for the US, when in reality a 19 year old British citizen was left dead on his native soil.

The reality is, many in Britain including prosecution bodies, as well as politicians are not happy, and we are the ones who make the rules in relation to foreign bases in our country, and we can choose to change those rules.

If Sacoolas doesn't to take part in a British Criminal Trial, then we need to move on and hold a trial in her absence, and a full parliamentary inquiry which will look at issues such as diplomatic immunity, extradition arrangements, US bases and other issues and make recommendations in relation to changes and future legislation.

The UK does not have to house units such as Croughton and does not have to permit any immunity whatsoever, and only did so on the false premise that immunity would only apply whilst on base.

The one thing that Britain and other countries should take from this is to never trust US authorities, and on reflection we should not have allowed a request that we were reluctant to grant in the first place.

The way some Americans have posted on this thread, you would think they derived some pleasure from the teenagers death and the current situation.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:36 AM

its an open and shut case, she was driving on the wrong (American) side of the road and collided with his motorbike which was on the correct (British) side of the road. there is no defence it was just plain dangerous driving which caused a young man to lose his life.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
its an open and shut case, she was driving on the wrong (American) side of the road and collided with his motorbike which was on the correct (British) side of the road. there is no defence it was just plain dangerous driving which caused a young man to lose his life.

Exactly and this is what was expressed just the other day by bikers ad friends of Harry Dunn, as well as Liz Truss who is tipped to be unveiled as the new British Prime Minister on the 5th September.

Not sure what good the rev off did, as I am sure the Americans just closed their blast proof windows and lowered the blinds at their Embassy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

A group of motorcyclists gathered outside the US embassy in London to hold a “rev-off” and say prayers on the third anniversary of the death of fellow motorcyclist Harry Dunn.

The 19-year-old was killed in a collision with a car outside the US military base RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire.

At Saturday’s event in London, organiser Steven Baird turned towards the US embassy and told the community of bikers who had gathered in front of it: “People who come to our country should obey our laws. They cannot and should not get out of our country while disobeying our laws.”

Earlier in the day, the foreign secretary, Liz Truss, released a statement offering condolences to Dunn’s family.

She said: “My deepest sympathies are with Harry’s family on the anniversary of his tragic death.

“I would like to pay tribute to their incredible resolve. We will continue to support them in their search for justice.”

A friend of Harry Dunn’s, Chelsea Wilson, 24, said she was glad to be among those marking the teenager’s anniversary to help ensure Harry is “not forgotten”.

“It is important to just remember him,” she said. “We need to keep the momentum up. We are not going to go away. We are very much still here and supporting the cause.”

Motorcyclists mark third anniversary of Harry Dunn’s death with US embassy ‘rev-off’ in London - The Guardian

Old 08-30-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Exactly and this is what was expressed just the other day by bikers ad friends of Harry Dunn, as well as Liz Truss who is tipped to be unveiled as the new British Prime Minister on the 5th September.

Not sure what good the rev off did, as I am sure the Americans just closed their blast proof windows and lowered the blinds at their Embassy.
as a biker myself I say well done them.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
as a biker myself I say well done them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhuh4knyWbU

Old 08-30-2022, 07:57 AM

12,198 posts, read 8,099,610 times
I lived in Orlando for atleast 10 years and Brits consistently caused fatal accidents due to this. They didnt face criminal charges. Its tragic yes. Ill intent? No.

I think a Brit killed a whole family of five back in like 2011 and avoided charges.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I lived in Orlando for atleast 10 years and Brits consistently caused fatal accidents due to this. They didnt face criminal charges. Its tragic yes. Ill intent? No.

I think a Brit killed a whole family of five back in like 2011 and avoided charges.
surely that is "vehicular manslaughter" in the US?

Old 08-30-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

It's what the law states in Britain that is important and any penalty should be for a British Criminal Court to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom