Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2023, 06:13 AM

105 posts, read 66,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Why the British press can be particularly nasty is another issue, one that really has nothing to do with Meghan.
Does Harry remember that others besides Meghan have also been the target of the British press? Waity Katie, Duchess of Pork and of course his own mother was targeted. Camilla and Charles endured Tampon-gate when their private conversation was leaked.

This article sums up all that Kate and William went through with the tabloids which Harry seems to conveniently forget to spin his highly profitable victim narrative. His spin is that no one in the RF came to their rescue. He seems to forget that it happened to all of them as well. The RF knows that ignoring it is the best tactic and in due time the tabloids will move on to something or someone else.

https://bestlifeonline.com/news-william-kate-media/

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a...dal-the-crown/

This won't be the end of it by any means. I think Harry is just getting started selling his 'wares.'

Last edited by Mrs_Sheridan; 01-16-2023 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 07:41 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
So on CBS again, a morning show...(I don't have the book) ...They were praising Harry in interviews
with Brits that Harry is the conscience of the world exposing slavery - that the Royals have made
their wealth from enslaving others!
They said apart from his personal stuff...this seemed like a very good thing to finally expose.
I do, too!!!

Reminds me of the secrets of the Vatican ... how about an open apology to the world, Royals?
And reparations?
Or will you be silent thinking it will blow over?

Oh, I see Mrs. Sheridan also brought up 'ignoring'.

Old 01-16-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
So on CBS again, a morning show...(I don't have the book) ...They were praising Harry in interviews
with Brits that Harry is the conscience of the world exposing slavery - that the Royals have made
They said apart from his personal stuff...this seemed like a very good thing to finally expose.
I do, too!!!
Then maybe now is the time for Harry to give up his title. After all, he certainly wouldn't want to be associated with such a family and surely he wouldn't want to make a cent from his associations with them.

Old 01-16-2023, 07:58 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 1 day ago)

27,169 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
I do, too!!!

Reminds me of the secrets of the Vatican ... how about an open apology to the world, Royals?
And reparations?

Oh, I see Mrs. Sheridan also brought up 'ignoring'.
In terms of slavery, it was never legal in the UK, whilst the transatlantic slave trade was banned by the UK Parliament in 1807 and slavery was abolished throughout Empire in 1832 by a further act of Parliament.

I think it's worth noting that the following events were important events in terms of curtailing the power of Monarchy whilst establishing an independent Parliament, Laws and Legal System in terms of England and later Britain.

It's also worth noting that the UK Monarchy is not an absolute Monarchy, and that after the Royalists were defeated by the Parliamentarians during the Civil War power and decision making lay with parliament, and not with the Monarchy.

The idea that the Monarchy ruled Britain is nonsense, and today most Royal Money comes from the Crown Estate, Duchy of Cornwall, Duchy of Lancaster and Sovereign grant, and it has nothing to do with slavery.

Magna Carta 1215

The monarchy basically started losing material power with King John of England signing the Magna Carta [1215], which led to the rule of constitutional law in England. Translation: the beginning of the end of absolutism in royal rule in England. This was just 149 years after the Norman Conquest under William I.

English Civil War 1642-51 and Commonwealth of England/The Protectorate 1651-60

The monarchy continued to lose power by turns in the years since Magna Carta, culminating in the English Civil War. The Commonwealth of England (later, the Protectorate for the whole of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland) replaced the monarchy under Charles I of England, Scotland and Ireland. (We can safely generalise Charles I was a British monarch, even though history books conventionally identify him as "of England.")

The Restoration 1660

With the end of the Commonwealth/Protectorate in 1658-60, the monarchy was restored under King Charles II of England, Scotland and Ireland. However, Parliament limited Charles II's royal prerogative powers on constitutional grounds that he had no right to arbitrarily suspend laws enacted by Parliament. Translation: further loss of royal power.

The Glorious Revolution 1688

King James II of England and Ireland (and as James VII of Scotland) was overthrown by Parliamentary forces in a joint operation with Dutch forces under William of Orange, who then became "King Billy": William III of England, Scotland and Ireland (in addition to being Stadtholder of various areas in the Dutch Republic). But during William III's reign (jointly with Mary II), there was resistance to his/their validity to the throne (which is too involved to explain here).

United Kingdom 1707-1800 / 1801-1927 / 1921-today

The most prominent political feature of the UK that diluted the power of the monarchy was the Reform Act 1832 refashioned the British electoral system and extended the franchise. Translation: more power to the people and parliament.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:16 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 1 day ago)

27,169 posts, read 13,455,286 times
As for Slavery, Africans, Middle Eastern countries and Arab Muslims were engaging in it long before the western world.

The people of India were also enslaved as part of the Mughal Islamic Empire for numerous centuries, and even today there is a lot of ill feeling between the Hindu's and Sikhs and the Muslims.

Whilst what is now England and the UK, was subject to the best part of 1,000 years of occupation and enslavement by the Romans, Anglo Saxons, Vikings (Danelaw), as well as the Norman Conquest and numerous other historic events.

As for Slavery it still exists and it's worth noting that Qatar used virtual slavery to build World Cup stadiums and other infrastructure, resulting in up to 6,750 deaths, however I don't hear any apologies from FIFA.

Ten years of hurt: how the Guardian reported Qatar’s World Cup working conditions - The Guardian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zHz...ist=LL&index=1

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-16-2023 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-16-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
And reparations?
Then the royals should grab a ticket and get in line. How many other countries and institutions around the world have a dark history of oppressing others? What a long queue that would be.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
As for Slavery, Africans and Arab Muslims were engaging in it long before the western world.

Slavery still exists and Qatar used slavery to build World Cup stadiums and other infrastructure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zHz...ist=LL&index=1
Exactly, it boggles the mind how this is so often IGNORED. The reality is that humans have a dark history of enslaving other humans which still tragically occurs today in some places, to your point.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:54 AM

7,341 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Sheridan View Post
Exactly, it boggles the mind how this is so often IGNORED. The reality is that humans have a dark history of enslaving other humans which still tragically occurs today in some places, to your point.
And, it was the English Navy which prevented/stopped the Africans from selling their own people at a very high cost/lose of life to the English sailors.

Slavery has been practiced since the beginning of time in every single continent. The American Indians had slaves, native South Americans, the Asians and everyone else in-between practiced slavery. Even today, some consumer products are made by modern day slaves. Are we any better?

Old 01-16-2023, 10:03 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Watching Harry William and Kate a few years ago I think Harry was quite besotted with Catherine... always thought it..and would have loved a girlfriend like her..
He writes as much in the book.

Old 01-18-2023, 09:09 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
So I finished the book. In my opinion, people should **** and refrain commenting until they actually sit down and read the thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom