Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 11:31 AM

8,494 posts, read 3,336,502 times

Advertisements

My understanding is "proceeds" from the book go to charity while Harry and Meghan pocket the book advance - what is it $20 million or so?

Understandably the current furor creates the current demand. I would expect the sales trajectory will fall quickly in contrast to most books. This isn't one that gets placed on reading lists for future purchase or where word of mouth spreads interest.

Knowing that, some retailers are already putting hard copies on sale. If it doesn't get purchased NOW it ain't going to get bought in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 11:53 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
I have heard so many royal commentators and other people being interviewed say that Harry was not very smart, not intelligent, had terrible problems at school with learning. I wonder if he had ever been evaluated for a learning disability.

It would certainly answer some questions about his frail ego, lack of self-confidence, and anger and paranoia.

He addresses this in the book. Harry quite frankly comes across as one of the more intelligent of the bunch. Amazing how the public's opinion is coloured by "commentators" rather than the man himself.

I find is so strange that folks lambast Harry for telling his truth and profiting off of it, but not the 17 "biographers", most of whom have not as much as spoken to Harry or Meghan, who have unofficial biographies of either Harry or the pair listed on the first page of Amazon alone. Certainly they all pocketed their money, yet some, like the vile Angela Levin, are crying that he is doing the same. Why are so many unpaid interns for the gutter rat paparazzi and royal commentators getting their free money taps shut?

Old 01-13-2023, 12:05 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,064,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
What about this one from his book..

In just one of many much-discussed segments of the Duke of Sussex's new memoir, Harry claims that his wife Meghan bought a first-class ticket for her father Thomas Markle to allow him to escape media intrusion by flying from Mexico over to the UK. Harry writes in Spare: "We told him, leave Mexico right now: 'A whole new level of harassment is about to rain down on you, so come to Britain. Now.'"

Harry described the flight in question as "Air New Zealand, first class, booked and paid for by Meg." However, Air New Zealand themselves were quick to refute the claims and suggested that Harry's anecdote was false, with a spokesperson telling the New Zealand Herald: "We've never had flights between Mexico and the UK. And we only have Business Premier."
Oh yeah, I read about that one being debunked as well but had forgotten. There are so many.

It's unclear if Harry had first-hand knowledge of that drama at the time or if he is just recalling Meg's version as told to him. The whole thing as told in the docuseries looks like it was fabricated by a 10 year old.

The rift between her and her father supposedly over those photos never made sense. I have wondered if she fabricated the drama in order to have an excuse to keep her father away from the wedding so that she could ask Charles to walk her down the aisle. Much better optics for her to have the future king do it than a nobody like Thomas Markle.

Old 01-13-2023, 12:09 PM

1,380 posts, read 722,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
He addresses this in the book. Harry quite frankly comes across as one of the more intelligent of the bunch. Amazing how the public's opinion is coloured by "commentators" rather than the man himself.

I find is so strange that folks lambast Harry for telling his truth and profiting off of it, but not the 17 "biographers", most of whom have not as much as spoken to Harry or Meghan, who have unofficial biographies of either Harry or the pair listed on the first page of Amazon alone. Certainly they all pocketed their money, yet some, like the vile Angela Levin, are crying that he is doing the same. Why are so many unpaid interns for the gutter rat paparazzi and royal commentators getting their free money taps shut?
Well, maybe you could help H&M establish a campaign to do away with this sort of thing smutty horrid writing. I'm sure there are many others that would join in.

Old 01-13-2023, 01:54 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,336,502 times
Quote:

Good question. Unofficial biographers might cite the number and kinds of their sources. Monetary reward comes from the so-called 'quality' of the work. The reader does well not to take what's written at face value. Same is true for the tabloids.

That's not what this is. Harry writes a memoir that is not only a story of his life events and various mental health struggles but an accusation of others in his family who dispute the tale as he tells it. Famously, Queen Elizabeth said: there may be other recollections.

Harry is not the first, of course, to write a memoir only to encounter negative reactions from people he includes. What's different here is most are buying the work to hear more about Prince Harry not hear about the trauma experienced by an unknown Harry Windsor. That's what makes the $20 million payment possible. The family is not a relatively anonymous backdrop for a memoir but the raison d'etre. They are central characters in his memoir, and this is about them.

About outside biographers, you write "most of whom have not as much spoken to Harry or Meghan" which implies Harry and Meghan are the better recorder of events. Perhaps of their inner struggles. But for how they characterize family events and write of the motivations of others? That is disputable.

Not only to Queen Elizabeth (per the BP press release) but also to this reader of the biography who finds what Harry reports suspect (for example, the incompleteness of accounts, how he reports what others have said). Harry's claim is that he is writing "His" truth which happens to be "The" truth. Once again he's using his family-status as an insider to make that latter claim.

None of this the smutty tabloid writer does.

Last edited by EveryLady; 01-13-2023 at 02:24 PM..

Old 01-13-2023, 03:42 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I am halfway through and I think he is mentally unwell. He’s also been spoiled rotten. He needs help. He’s very delusional.

He says he loves his father and brother but I don’t believe him. He brags how he was such a great soldier, but I don’t believe that story either. Someone that dumb can’t be a pilot.
I haven't read it (have zero plans to as well, i've heard enough ) but your comment "someone that dumb can't be a pilot" just had me laughing ! thanks!!!

Old 01-13-2023, 06:46 PM

1,740 posts, read 957,797 times
Quote:

First of all, there is no such thing as “ telling his truth “. There isn’t “my truth”, “your truth”, “his truth”. There is only the truth, rooted in objective reality. Secondly, there is an ocean of difference between a writer, author, journalist or any other outside person writing about Harry and Harry ( a member of the royal family ) himself profiting off a tell-all book. He comes across as arrogant, entitled, resentful, narcissistic, and self centered. He has a total lack of self awareness. He has no idea how good he had it.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:00 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,604,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
For the same reason so many people spent money to wait in lines in London after the queen died. People somehow find the royals endlessly interesting regardless of who they love or hate.
The people who spent money to wait in lines in London after Queen Elizabeth died did so out of respect and courtesy. The people spending money on her grandson's tell-all book are not spending that money out of respect for the monarchy or for Prince Harry; they are curious or scandal-hungry or dislike/disapprove of the monarchy as an institution.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:22 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,604,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
I have heard so many royal commentators and other people being interviewed say that Harry was not very smart, not intelligent, had terrible problems at school with learning. I wonder if he had ever been evaluated for a learning disability.

It would certainly answer some questions about his frail ego, lack of self-confidence, and anger and paranoia.
I haven't heard that; though it would explain a lot. An intelligent young man, in Harry's position, would not wear a Nazi uniform as a costume to a party, unless he actually wanted to offend and embarrass his family. Also the concept of stepping back from his royal duties and fleeing to California for the sake of his wife and wanting a private life but also writing a tell-all book? The contradiction in terms is ridiculous...

Old 01-14-2023, 12:56 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Oh yeah, I read about that one being debunked as well but had forgotten. There are so many.

It's unclear if Harry had first-hand knowledge of that drama at the time or if he is just recalling Meg's version as told to him. The whole thing as told in the docuseries looks like it was fabricated by a 10 year old.

The rift between her and her father supposedly over those photos never made sense. I have wondered if she fabricated the drama in order to have an excuse to keep her father away from the wedding so that she could ask Charles to walk her down the aisle. Much better optics for her to have the future king do it than a nobody like Thomas Markle.
I agree..I think Meghan had the media go to her father for a story and photos before the wedding to give her an excuse to bomb him out as she was embarrassed by him... Ive always thought this from day one... She didnt see her father as being able to mix in these circles and I think ashamed of him physically..
I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom