Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 11:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

I think that it can happen from changing fiancés. Detroit basic loss the cow that they milked and they are not the first just the biggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 07:44 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
This idea has come to me after examining many demographics and statistics on cities. I've come to see that many cities with demographics that are majorly black, i.e. 60% or more are usually poverty stricken cities with high crime, deteriorating downtowns and inner city neighborhoods, abandoned buildings, etc.

As a quote from another thread's poster read:

Baltimore's poor are overwhelmingly Black American and their behavior exacts a tremendous social and economic toll on the city. Baltimore is hurtling towards Tamar Jacoby's "tipping point" of 70% Black. This is the point where she says cities experience an irreversible decline.

Found here at:
//www.city-data.com/forum/balti...d-class-3.html

This seems to be overwhelmingly accurate. Cities that are vastly slanted in the black population are often times much poorer and much worse off. Examples:

Detroit - 83% black
36% below poverty line

Flint - 57% black
38% below poverty line

Baltimore - 64% black
23% below poverty line

Memphis - 63% black
26% below poverty line

Newark - 53% black
26% below poverty line

Jackson - 79% black
28% below poverty line

Birmingham - 73% black
27% below poverty line

Cleveland - 54% black
33% below poverty line

Gary - 85% black
36% below poverty line

East Saint Louis - 98% black
42% below poverty line

Do you see the trend here? It seems in most major cities, the higher the black population the higher the poverty rates. Some cities are able to manage it while keeping overall poverty rates at a median. But it seems that over 50% spells problems, and over 70% spells inevitable and long term decline.
Same thread different day. There are other reasons, such as disinvestment, that those cities aren't world class cities. Detroit, in particular, was on the way to becoming a world class city.

For the record none of those cities are particularly that great, even if the Whites were there, and those cities had never experienced White Flight they still could never compare with cities like Atlanta, Chicago, LA, NYC, etc.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:40 PM

690 posts, read 1,006,358 times
All I want to say is that they don't really care about us!-Michael Jackson

Old 01-19-2015, 06:40 AM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
Yep I was a bit surprised as well, my wife was called the 'N' word in Cambridge as we stepped out of the subway station into Harvard Square. Mind you this was unprovoked, we never seen this guy before nor had any encounter with him. Later as we strolled around the area we run into this guy again speaking on open microphone on the sidewalk blaming black folks for this counties problems, and again yelled out racial epithets. Not one person in the crowd of pedestrians said a word against him. Now I'm not saying LA does not have it's share of racism, but this would have not been tolerated here, not personally I don't even think this would be allowed in this day even in parts of Orange County, someone would have spoken up.

BTW I too am African American and of mixed race, but most people wouldn't catch that by my appearance. Many times my wife and I are mistaken for being an inter-racial couple.
Judging Boston by Harvard Square is like judging NYC by people at the Empire State Building observation Decj, a whole lot of people there are from out of State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning