Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The problem is white yuppies aren't scared of buppies, and there are a lot more white yuppies. So once buppies start gentrifying an area, the black percentage as a whole drops as well. Thus despite Harlem still having a strong black upper-middle class component, the national press talks much more about how "Harlem isn't so black anymore." The logical conclusion is you eventually reach a 65%-85% upper-middle class white neighborhood with a small population of similarly well-off blacks interspersed.
Except almost no part of Harlem has above a 20% white population. Harlem used to be near 100% black and these days it's around 50%, which is why the media say "it isn't so black" — drastic change compared to what it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 AM

389 posts, read 470,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
That's the tricky and funny thing about interracial relationships/marriages in America, even today: White people don't really treat them as interracial relatonships/marriages unless the non-white person is black.

For example: I've said this before, but as you pointed put, many white men are particularly fond of Asian women, and most other white people don't bat an eye at white/Asian pairings. But let that same white guy bring home Shaniqua for Christmas dinner or take her out with his white friends and a lot them will feel completely different about him and his choice of woman, even if Shaniqua is nice, educated, and attractive.
Where do you live lol? Where I'm from or where I've been black and white couples aren't some big deal at least amongst my age group. I hear in the south it's different still though.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Except almost no part of Harlem has above a 20% white population. Harlem used to be near 100% black and these days it's around 50%, which is why the media say "it isn't so black" — drastic change compared to what it used to be.
I think it's important to get our definition of Harlem right. The NYT published an article about this a few years back, but the data cited therein included people living in Spanish Harlem, which obviously has a large number of non-African Americans (and has had a large non-AA population for a long time). So the article was a bit misleading in that sense.

The Harlem that was "near 100% black" was not the technical definition of Harlem that includes Morningside Heights and Spanish Harlem. It was West and Central Harlem. And the reason why Harlem is less black than it was during its heyday has more to do with Hispanics moving in than whites.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 PM

405 posts, read 823,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
Where do you live lol? Where I'm from or where I've been black and white couples aren't some big deal at least amongst my age group. I hear in the south it's different still though.
I live in AMERICA. And please stop that "I hear it's different still I'm the South" stuff. If interracial marriage is only something white people in the South still worry about, then why is it always still such a big topic in the white NATIONAL media as far as interracial marriage rates and stuff are concerned? You act like racism in general is only a Southern thing when we all know that's not the case.

Last edited by Carlito Brigante; 03-19-2013 at 07:14 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 PM

405 posts, read 823,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think it's important to get our definition of Harlem right. The NYT published an article about this a few years back, but the data cited therein included people living in Spanish Harlem, which obviously has a large number of non-African Americans (and has had a large non-AA population for a long time). So the article was a bit misleading in that sense.

The Harlem that was "near 100% black" was not the technical definition of Harlem that includes Morningside Heights and Spanish Harlem. It was West and Central Harlem. And the reason why Harlem is less black than it was during its heyday has more to do with Hispanics moving in than whites.
Thank you!!!! Once again, the white national media disrtorting facts and blowing race and black/white stastics out of proportion. And this is happening in New York City, not "down South" like some folks like to pretend for the sake of trying too hard to convince themselves and others that they are so "color blind" and never look at or think about things in terms of race themselves.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 PM

389 posts, read 470,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
I live in AMERICA. And please stop that "I hear it's different still I'm the South" stuff. If interracial marriage is only something white people in the South still worry about, then why is it always still such a big topic in the white NATIONAL media as far as interracial marriage rates and stuff are concerned? You act like racism in general is only a Southern thing when we all know that's not the case.
If it were such a big deal I'd have no luck getting dates(way more whites than blacks), it's not that big a deal at least where I'm from in Michigan, also I just got back from NYC, I'm a black guy... I went to a bar with my friend one night while there, he's white, in a bar full of white people three attractive white girls came up to me told me to dance with them, I went on from there.

Back home in Michigan I've dated more Asian, white, Persian girls than black. Their parents were all nice and everything, I'm in my early twenties so maybe that's why, but interracial dating has never been a big deal, I have a couple white friends who date black girls.

A friend in Florida said interracial dating is more touchy down south is why I said that.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:59 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Interracial dating is very common, particularly among those under 30.

Interracial marriage, however, isn't as common, for a few different reasons. One, marriage rates are falling, period. The majority of black-white interracial pairings which result in children almost certainly happen outside of marriage.

Second, while black men engage in interracial marriage at fairly high rates, black women do not. Indeed, black women and Asian men are the two demographic groups least likely to marry outside of their race.

This has been the topic of some discussion in the press. While it's arguable that Asian men are not considered desirable within the U.S. context, in the case of black women, it seems to be more that they often feel conflicted about the the possibility of settling down with anyone but a black man, rather than white (or other non-black) men not finding them attractive.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The white population increased more (percentage-wise) than the Hispanic population. I'm looking at some census maps, and I'm seeing figures like 400%, 500%, 600% increases in the white population, but with the Hispanic population, I'm seeing figures like 30%, 40%, maybe up to 100%.

I'd assume the Hispanic population was higher to begin with, but at best, the increase in the Hispanic population (in terms of raw numbers) was only marginally greater than the increase in the white population.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I am afraid that other than the central business districts a mnay cities have reached this point. Many are having trouble even with tax base loss in many areas to provide basic services.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
Not true. White and black couples in any rural or small town environment whether it be in New England or the deep south will most likely be looked upon under disapproving eyes. Probably more so in New England since that area of the country is 95% white.

In metro areas in the south, white and black couples are about as common as they are anywhere else in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning