Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:18 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
The car industry in this country is quite strong. The manufacturers simply moved out of Detroit. So was it the black's fault? No, the unions were more responsible for that. But minorities continued drain on all city resources cannot be denied. And anyone who points it out or calls attention to it will be called a bigot by "the machine". It is sickening and is getting old.

Everyone in this country seems quite determined to deny that racism from the other side does not exist. Racism is not a one-way street. It is just that for the last 60 years, the minorities of this country have had better PR people.

Some black kid sneezes and Jesse, Al and liberal whites show up. Some white kid has something happen to him, and no one shows up. No mystery here.
Guess there's a lot of black folks in Monterrey Peninsula huh? You sound like a real expert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 07:25 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
The car industry in this country is quite strong. The manufacturers simply moved out of Detroit. So was it the black's fault? No, the unions were more responsible for that. But minorities continued drain on all city resources cannot be denied. And anyone who points it out or calls attention to it will be called a bigot by "the machine". It is sickening and is getting old.

Everyone in this country seems quite determined to deny that racism from the other side does not exist. Racism is not a one-way street. It is just that for the last 60 years, the minorities of this country have had better PR people.

Some black kid sneezes and Jesse, Al and liberal whites show up. Some white kid has something happen to him, and no one shows up. No mystery here.
Well, consider this. The minorities who could afford better housing and had jobs left the cities. I've explained this before. Those who could afford it left certain cities, and those who couldn't afford it, or didn't do better were the ones who were left behind.

Detroit has a high rate of illiteracy, 47 percent to be specific. Blacks who are college educated have often fled from Detroit during the last 30 years. Guess who is left behind? If poor Blacks were replaced by college-educated Blacks, professional Blacks, and large numbers of Black business owners, then things would look very different. There would be fewer people living off of city resources. There are plenty of White people on food stamps and other forms of welfare. However, this is the difference I see. Poverty among Blacks has very high concentrations in the inner city. With poverty among Whites, it is more often spread out, rural, or small town in nature.

And I'm not denying that racism can go two ways. I think this is how it's perceived though. It is perceived from a point of view of "Blacks can be just as racist as Whites, but Whites have more power than Blacks". That is how many people look at it.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Guess there's a lot of black folks in Monterrey Peninsula huh? You sound like a real expert.
Last time I checked, alot of Blacks are leaving California these days.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
Detroit is the first thing that comes to mind.
Detroit city wasteland - YouTube And there are 4 more if you search Detroit wasteland.

Last edited by nei; 04-14-2013 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: language

Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Detroit is the first thing that comes to mind. Has anyone seen this video it makes Detroit look like F*cking Beruit!
Detroit city wasteland - YouTube And there are 4 more if you search Detroit wasteland.
The thing about Detroit is this. Detroit had riots like other cities did. Detroit had corrupt leadership before. However, Detroit put all of its eggs in one basket. Things were crazy. Detroit went down with the automobile industry. With so many people employed in the automobile industry, and so many industries related to it, when the automobile factories shut down and factories leaving, other industries related to the automobile industry, such as paint manufacturers also went down. It was a domino effect. Alot of people got involved in the drug trade, and with that the murder rate jumped. With jobs leaving, the large part of the tax base went. With the with corruption, crime, and division, more people left. Dwindling tax base means resources get strained and things are not taken care as efficiently. It takes tax dollars to run police forces, fight fires, and do other things. Add to that the corruption and things got bad. It was alot of things coming together to create a storm. 47 percent of the population is functionally illiterate. Alot of educated people left the city for good.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:42 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,216,195 times
I'm not sure about the 2010 census but I know after 2000- the only metro area in the nation to lose population was Pittsburg. Even Detroit for all the tales of doom and gloom gained- it simply wasn't dowtown.

Usually people move where the jobs are. And for the last 30-40 years the growth in jobs has moved south and towards the coasts.

Another wrinkle no one wants to mention is the number of blacks who act similar to whites in that they do not want to live in an area where they are to minor of a minority. So at 20% they are fine at 10% an area becomes much less attractive. And some take it a step further- successful balcks seem to want to live among other successful balcks. If you look at statistics on where college educated blacks settle there are some cities that draw a hugely disprortionate number- Atlanta, DC, Dallas, Chicago and a host of smaller southern cities (Charlotte, Richmond, etc.) It appears that in the 302-50s they moved north to simply find decent jobs and now they are moving south to find better jobs.

The funny part of this debate is that there are going to staggeringly fewer whites as interracial dating has become a non factor for people younger than thirty not aspiring to specific country clubs and old south fraternity/sororities. Similarly we also aren't making as many blacks as before. If you look at a city like Buffalo its also pretty down on its heels compared to the 1950s years ago- and its not close to being majority AA. It is however in the rustbelt.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Another wrinkle no one wants to mention is the number of blacks who act similar to whites in that they do not want to live in an area where they are to minor of a minority. So at 20% they are fine at 10% an area becomes much less attractive. And some take it a step further- successful balcks seem to want to live among other successful balcks.
There was a thread on the Boston forum about Boston being a "white city". It has a sizeable minority population in the city proper and a few of the adjacent cities and very little elsewhere. From what I gathered from the thread, the population of minorities and particularly successful minorities is so small as to not to have much of a cultural influence, most events are made to appeal to whites with little thought of minorities. Pittsburgh is probably even more extreme.

Quote:
The funny part of this debate is that there are going to staggeringly fewer whites as interracial dating has become a non factor for people younger than thirty not aspiring to specific country clubs and old south fraternity/sororities.
However, interracial marriages are disproportionately white and asian or white and hispanic. A large unmixed black population will be around for a very long time, though I expect racial identities to slowly weaken.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:05 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Quote:
I'm not sure about the 2010 census but I know after 2000- the only metro area in the nation to lose population was Pittsburg. Even Detroit for all the tales of doom and gloom gained- it simply wasn't dowtown.

Usually people move where the jobs are. And for the last 30-40 years the growth in jobs has moved south and towards the coasts.

Another wrinkle no one wants to mention is the number of blacks who act similar to whites in that they do not want to live in an area where they are to minor of a minority. So at 20% they are fine at 10% an area becomes much less attractive. And some take it a step further- successful balcks seem to want to live among other successful balcks. If you look at statistics on where college educated blacks settle there are some cities that draw a hugely disprortionate number- Atlanta, DC, Dallas, Chicago and a host of smaller southern cities (Charlotte, Richmond, etc.) It appears that in the 302-50s they moved north to simply find decent jobs and now they are moving south to find better jobs.

The funny part of this debate is that there are going to staggeringly fewer whites as interracial dating has become a non factor for people younger than thirty not aspiring to specific country clubs and old south fraternity/sororities. Similarly we also aren't making as many blacks as before. If you look at a city like Buffalo its also pretty down on its heels compared to the 1950s years ago- and its not close to being majority AA. It is however in the rustbelt.
Not true. Detroit Metro lost population from 2000-2010.

Also many smaller cities under 1 million lost population.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,216,195 times
Read the first sentence again- I was basing my comment on the 2000 census and specifically mentioned not being familiar with 2010. I took a course in grad school that focussed on development/demographics/etc. 2000 was the most recent census at that time- ie back when I was young.. cue the song from Les Miz. Only not the gawd awful Anne Hathaway version.

I imagine in 2010 a number of metros lost population- probably with New Orleans, Las Vegas & a couple of rustbelt cities topping the lists. But I have not reviewed/studied those so that more a guess based on job/housing/evacuation conditions. New Orleans & Vegas could be pretty telling in terms of this thread since a huge number of AA from NOLA seem to have settled in Texas and Vegas was a huge melting pot with some AA population compared to most mountain cities.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:37 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Quote:
Read the first sentence again- I was basing my comment on the 2000 census and specifically mentioned not being familiar with 2010. I took a course in grad school that focussed on development/demographics/etc. 2000 was the most recent census at that time- ie back when I was young.. cue the song from Les Miz. Only not the gawd awful Anne Hathaway version.

I imagine in 2010 a number of metros lost population- probably with New Orleans, Las Vegas & a couple of rustbelt cities topping the lists. But I have not reviewed/studied those so that more a guess based on job/housing/evacuation conditions. New Orleans & Vegas could be pretty telling in terms of this thread since a huge number of AA from NOLA seem to have settled in Texas and Vegas was a huge melting pot with some AA population compared to most mountain cities.
I did read what you said.

Quote:
I'm not sure about the 2010 census but I know after 2000- the only metro area in the nation to lose population was Pittsburg.
And the 2010 census is just a few clicks away, it's been available for a few years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning