Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 10:17 PM

52 posts, read 166,716 times

Advertisements

Is it true that LDS Sunday services are 3-4 hours? How is that time filled?

Old 10-14-2009, 10:33 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccritter View Post
I was in for some culture shock when I came to Utah for the first time.
You are not alone in that department my dear friend.

Our first orientation at BYU was another eye opener.

The students have to adhere to certain codes, and the comment was that the female students apparently did not know where their knees were.
They were referring to dress length at knee level........

Oh well .....

Old 10-15-2009, 06:03 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Is it true that LDS Sunday services are 3-4 hours? How is that time filled?
.................................................. ................................................

Church services last a little over 3 hours. Its broken into three meetings. For priesthood holders like myself there is Elder's Chorum Meeting, Sunday School, and Sacrament Meeting. Elder's Chorum Meeting is typically preceeded by a short meeting of all men who hold the Priesthood called General Priesthood Meeting, but this usually lasts no more than ten minutes. If one is a High Priest, one would attend High Priest's Meeting rather than Elder's Chorum Meeting. Women attend Relief Society Meeting instead of Elder's Chorum Meeting or High Priest's Meeting, but the rest of the schedule is the same.

The order in which the meetings occur can vary from ward to ward in the church. They all occur in a three hour block through.

If one holds a position in church leadership and many ward members do, there are often special meetings before or after church.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:59 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
Wow! Thanks for starting this thread. As a convert to the church living in Texas,I have learned quite a bit more! It's wonderful knowing that no matter where I go, my brothers and sisters will always be there to help. It's quite a conforting feeling. And I know the feeling of excitement upon seeing a couple of young guys with white shirts and black pants and thinking they were Elders! HA That's happened to me a couple of times

Old 10-15-2009, 09:51 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
If one holds a position in church leadership and many ward members do, there are often special meetings before or after church.
Uhuh ... and that makes the three hour block a bit longer ....
Daffynyshun of a Latter Day Saint ....
One who is either
- going to a meeting,
- at a meeting,
- comes from a meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
It's wonderful knowing that no matter where I go, my brothers and sisters will always be there to help.
That is THE thing that makes moving around in this world always easy since, today, with so many LDS people all over, you will find *instant family*.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:42 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Why is it that you call the young missionaries and other young members, elders? I always think of the old guys at a church as the elders.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:55 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
[quote=irman;11200006]
Quote:
Uhuh ... and that makes the three hour block a bit longer ....
Daffynyshun of a Latter Day Saint ....
One who is either
- going to a meeting,
- at a meeting,
- comes from a meeting.
Yep.....isn't that the truth....or getting ready and preparing for an activity or meeting. 3 hours is on a good day lol

Quote:
That is THE thing that makes moving around in this world always easy since, today, with so many LDS people all over, you will find *instant family*.
ditto to that.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:29 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Default An Excellent Source Of Information !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Probably at least two thirds of the threads in the Utah (including the Salt Lake City and St. George forums) are from people considering a move to Utah but who are afraid to take the leap because they are not LDS. Granted, I am LDS and have never lived outside of Utah, so I will admit that maybe my perspective is probably pretty one-sided. On the other hand, when 9 out of 10 of the posters in those threads ask for help in finding a place to settle where there aren't too many of those dreaded Mormons, I have to wonder if it's something other than our horns that everybody is afraid of.

Anyway, this thread is for all those folks who want some accurate information straight out of the horse's mouth so to speak about Mormon doctrine, culture and history. I know I could have started this thread in the religion subforum but it's not my intent to start a debate on "Are Mormons Christians?" (although it's a valid question) or to initiate a sounding board for people to trash Mormonism. My hope is that it will be a thread used primarily by people who are thinking about moving here, people who are new here and are confused about why they can't order prime rib at the Stake House or for long-time non-LDS Utahns who have questions about the faith that they don't dare ask their next-door neighbor for fear of getting a visit from the missionaries the next day.

So if there is anything about Mormons or Mormonism that you have always wanted to know but were afraid to ask, "This is the Place!"
Greetings,

For those of you who desire some accurate information regarding LDS...
Katzpur is a great source !

The Mormon folks I am familiar with within our community are truly outstanding citizens and are well known for their community service.

I appreciate Katzpur's efforts on behalf of LDS !

Thanks / Lamar

Old 10-17-2009, 12:40 PM

52 posts, read 165,610 times
This is the best thead I have read regarding the LDS faith. Katzpur, thank you for your sharing, caring and patience.

My first Christmas season living in Utah I bought for my step daughter's maternal grandmother a beautiful crystal cross. I had heard tales from the girls (all teens) about "granny's sacrement room" that was filled with all kinds of statues and icons of her faith. Well granny and I didn't see eye to eye on many things so I thought the cross was a thoughtful gift for a pious woman.

I came home from shopping and announced to the girls that I had gotten granny a Christmas present that they could give her. I pulled out my cross and you would have thought I was in a room of vampires! They covered their faces and there was a lot of snickering. They told me she would hate it and they couldn't give her such a gift.

I was totally confused an asked my DH what was up an he said he didn't know. This question perplexed me for quite some time.

I worked with a lovely woman who is LDS. When I asked her about the cross moths later, she informed me that the cross represented suffering and that they (LDS) didn't feel the need to celebrate or glorify such a sad symbol. Of course she explained it in greater detail and flair but it was several years ago.

That made perfect sense to me.

But why no Christmas church service?

Old 10-17-2009, 01:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Golightly, I had to laugh at your story about the cross. I have a few Reed&Barton Christman crosses, very old design reproductions (like 14th c), that I wear around Christmas. The first time I wore one to work, I was puzzled by the stares I got, not in an ugly way, just wondering, until a new person told me "I can see you are not LDS." Of course, I had to ask how she could tell. I still wear them around Christmas and no body has ever said anything ugly about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah