Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 09:06 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times

Advertisements

I am glad that I have not come across anyone that has any predjudice to Catholics any longer. I have a bit of an anecdote about getting along with LDS...A great friend of mine is LDS. It happens that her son and my daughter are boyfriend/girlfriend. Anyway, she told me the other day that she went to the Salt Lake Temple. I told her I was jealous. I was able to see the Oquirrh Temple and thought it was beautiful. I would LOVE to see the Salt Lake Temple. She continues the conversation by saying, "start coming to church with me and we can get that arranged." I reply to her, "I know. No thanks, but good try " She tells me that she will keep trying and I tell her that I wouldn't expect anything less. It was all in good fun and she says "just as long as we understand each other." Of course we do. We are great friends and respect each other as people, therefore each other's beliefs also.
I so love her! She is one of my most bestest friends!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I am glad that I have not come across anyone that has any predjudice to Catholics any longer.
I have always said that if I were ever to leave Mormonism (which is highly unlikely ) and join another Christian Church, it would be Catholicism.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have always said that if I were ever to leave Mormonism (which is highly unlikely ) and join another Christian Church, it would be Catholicism.
Come to church with me, Katz and we can get that arranged...

Old 10-20-2009, 02:05 PM

183 posts, read 801,667 times
I have a question. I could probably look it up, but we have such a willing and knowledgeable source here...

Hopefully this hasn't been asked before--or even in this very thread, for that matter--but how did it begin that the LDS church refers to everyone who isn't LDS as "gentile" when for ages (literally) "gentile" has been defined as someone who isn't Jewish?

I'm really curious because Jews refer to Christians as gentiles...and Christians also refer to themselves as gentiles, in contrast to Jewish. Everyone outside of the LDS faith uses the word "gentile" to refer to Christians or someone who isn't Jewish and it has been that way since...well, forever. When, in the course of history, was this redefined in the Mormon church and why?

If it wasn't for some divine reson...it seems to me that if the LDS church wants to be seen as just another facet of mainstream Christianity, then it would want to be referred to as gentile...because the world considers "gentile" to mean "Christian" or "not Jewish."

Old 10-20-2009, 02:50 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,980 times
Katzpur, would that have something to do with the LDS as seeing their church as the restored church of Jesus Christ? I know the reason that we Methodists use the term Gentiles is because the Bible says that the house of Israel are God's chosen people. It was up to them to bring the message of Jesus to the rest of civilization whom were called the Gentiles.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:13 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I mean that the cross was not used by Protestant Church for quite a number of years after the Protestant Reformation begin, for the same reason that we LDS still don't use it: It was due to anti-Catholic prejudice. How sad.
Hi Katz,

I don't know if the reformers were prejudice or it was more their feeling that the cross had become more of an idol. A lot of the reformation based writings talk about being against anything that takes the focus off the saving grace of Jesus and they would include the cross as taking away the focus.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:01 PM

52 posts, read 165,589 times
Katspur

Thanks for addressing the issue of the cross. And to all the others too who put in their insight.

Now I have another question if you would be so kind.

Do Mormons post the Ten Commandments in their yards? I have seen a few around town and it gave me pause.

I am from Savannah, GA, so I can understand and appeciate Belle's chuckle over the vampire story, but there are Ten Commandments in every courthouse office and every other yard.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:29 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Katspur

Thanks for addressing the issue of the cross. And to all the others too who put in their insight.

Now I have another question if you would be so kind.

Do Mormons post the Ten Commandments in their yards? I have seen a few around town and it gave me pause.

I am from Savannah, GA, so I can understand and appeciate Belle's chuckle over the vampire story, but there are Ten Commandments in every courthouse office and every other yard.

.................................................. ...............................................

I haven't seen that. Although, you'll find the Ten Commandment plaques in parks and around courthouses here too. I would say the Ten Commandments are definitely important to LDS people, we speak frequently of "keeping the commandments". During interviews with our Bishop, we'll frequently be asked if we are obeying those laws. There's also a belief though that when Christ came to the earth that he gave us a higher set of laws to follow. If you notice the wording of the Ten Commandments, they are all worded in terms of negatives (telling us what we can't do). The higher law is positive in nature and would be more in terms of what we ought to do, rather than what we shouldn't do. (You will attend church. You will get married in the temple. You will serve a mission etc.)

Old 10-21-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
Katzpur, would that have something to do with the LDS as seeing their church as the restored church of Jesus Christ? I know the reason that we Methodists use the term Gentiles is because the Bible says that the house of Israel are God's chosen people. It was up to them to bring the message of Jesus to the rest of civilization whom were called the Gentiles.
You're on the right track. I'll have to get back to you on this one (unless someone else gets back to you first, which would be fine). My 96-year-old mother lives with me and hasn't been doing well this week. I haven't been able to post much the last couple of days.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Come to church with me, Katz and we can get that arranged...
Midnight Mass at Christmas, maybe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah