Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 05:04 AM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

Here's NWS Burlington and NWS Gray snow total forecast for now. Boston, Albany and Buffalo not yet.

They're calling for widespread 10-14" right now.

WFO BTV Storm Total Snow Forecast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:03 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
Cambium - so is this looking more like a northern NE thing...are you down in CT/NY not getting much?

10-14". Love it. Is the track pretty much set or can this change?

Old 03-10-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Cambium - so is this looking more like a northern NE thing...are you down in CT/NY not getting much?

10-14". Love it. Is the track pretty much set or can this change?
Track can still change but not more than 75-100 miles. Not sure what you consider "northern" New England but this is going to affect MA north of I-90 all the way to Maine.

Northern tier VT,NH obviously less than central or southern. You can tell where the heaviest swath of snow might be cutting through New England

Good luck with the snow.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:04 AM

Okay good to know - I know you guys down in CT/Mass have been getting most of the big hits this winter! But looks like we'll be in for some good snow here. Got about 2 inches last night and still flurrying, a bit more expected tomorrow night too.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Okay good to know - I know you guys down in CT/Mass have been getting most of the big hits this winter! But looks like we'll be in for some good snow here. Got about 2 inches last night and still flurrying, a bit more expected tomorrow night too.
Yes we have and even as a Cold/Winter lover I'm ready for spring now. Would of been nice hit one more time but I'm not greedy. Nice to see you guys getting the chance now.

New video out by Bernie. I always love his videos. So clear, non bias, and informative.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-video/snowstorm-on-the-way-midwest-t/655578741001?channel=top_story

Accu Graphics on the storm coming up. They have a nice swath of 12-18". Ski resorts will love this.

What's funny is, Last week the snows missed me to the "south" by 100 miles. This time (which is more typical in March) the snows misses me to the north.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 AM

Ha ha even though I know better I did enjoy the warm temps the last few days lol....

That was a great video!!! Really informative. So much better than the typical forecast. Thank you for sharing!!!

Old 03-10-2014, 12:44 PM

Should I throw the B word out? Lets just say this for now... Blizzard "conditions" are possible since winds will be gusting to 30mph during the snow Wednesday night. Criteria for an actual blizzard is winds of 30mph for 3 straight hours.

Pretty deep storm. Hope everyone is expecting it. Should start Wednesday morning, get heavier after lunch. I would get off the roads and where you need to be by 5pm.

0zEuro surface and wind gusts for same time frame (2am Thursday)

Old 03-10-2014, 01:17 PM

I've got milk and bread. We're good.

Are we thinking this is going to be pretty wet? Temps have been fairly warm lately, not sure if that will change for this system but noticed mostly rain to the south...

Old 03-10-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I've got milk and bread. We're good.

Are we thinking this is going to be pretty wet? Temps have been fairly warm lately, not sure if that will change for this system but noticed mostly rain to the south...
By "wet" I assume you mean heavy wet snow with low ratios? Probably yes. Maybe 10:1?
Not sure if rain/mix would make it all the way to southern VT. Maybe southern tip at the start?

Here's what the local NWS office says.

BTV: begins Wed 8-11am. Liquid falling from sky from 1/4 to 3/4". 5-9" of snow by Wednesday 8pm.

PRECIP SET TO BEGIN OVER AREA BY 12Z-15Z WED AS LOW TRACKS THRU APPALACHIANS AND THEN BLOSSOMS SHARPLY AS LOW MVS OFFSHORE LATER IN DAY TOWARDS EVENING HRS. MDLS SHOW QPF RANGING FROM 0.25" UP TO ALMOST 0.75" AND BASED ON TRACK...SEEING ENTIRE CWA TO SEE A LARGE DOSE OF HEAVY/WET SNOW. CURRENT RUNS FOR SNOW AMTS HAVE CWA SEEING A RANGE OF 5 TO 9 INCHES THRU 00Z THURSDAY.

-------------------------------

Albany says snow will be snowball making type but then cold air gets pulled in and snowflakes become smaller and lighter which increases ratios. Higher ratios = more snow with same amount of liquid falling

SNOWFALL WILL LIKELY BE A HEAVY WET SNOW INITIALLY...ALTHOUGH WITH COLDER AIR BEING PULLED IN MAY BECOME DRIER IN NATURE AS THE EVENT PROGRESSES...ESP FOR HIGH TERRAIN AND NORTHERN AREAS. THIS WILL ALLOW FOR INCREASINGLY HIGHER SNOW RATIOS THROUGH THE EVENT...ESP WITHIN ANY BANDING WED EVENING. TOTAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS LOOK AS IF THEY CAN EXCEED 9 INCHES FOR MUCH OF THE AREA THAT DOESN/T SEE PROLONGED MIXING OR RAIN

By the sounds of them it doesn't look like a big deal for you guys. Maybe the roads wont be a mess with 6" of wet snow?

Old 03-10-2014, 01:57 PM

We're further north and in a bit higher elevation so I guess we'll see some drier stuff...but snowball making snow is fun. Especially since I don't have to shovel it ha ha.

The roads here, at least in my experience, are taken care of pretty well. 89 is no fun in the middle of a storm but most people seem to take it easy when it's bad (most).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont