Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:35 AM

575 posts, read 554,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Good job weaving a phony argument out of whole cloth, its not the left you saw forcing FCC fines on people they didn't like like Howard Stern. You never see any liberal trying to shut down ANY free speech in America, they'll argue against it but not demand the law come down on it. I'll never understand how right wingers live in their little world where they are supposedly constantly attacked by the left, I guess Rush telling them so makes it so

You act as if the left is somehow full of saintly people. Take off the partisan glasses and see things for what they are. Yes the right does some bad stuff in this country, but so does the left as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
And find it funny that I wrote all that stuff and that's the only thing you could even say about it...
I pain no attention to most of the crap that you posted.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:20 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
You act as if the left is somehow full of saintly people. Take off the partisan glasses and see things for what they are. Yes the right does some bad stuff in this country, but so does the left as well.
I'm pointing out something specific the right does way more than the left. I don't recall any censorship efforts at all coming from the left anywhere aside from individual crackpots in no position of prominence like a few busybody PTA moms. There's censorship coming from conservatives so frequently its a regular thing like getting that recent gay dating commercial off the Super Bowl, the flag burning amendment, Glenn Beck saying he wants to murder Michael Moore, John Ash Croft covering the Justice Department statue's breast. It just never ends and its dishonest to say "oh the left does it just as much", thats a typical right wing blame shifting tactic they do to feel morally justified.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:22 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Quote:
They can, don't patronize the establishment.
)))

That's certainly the right of the customer. But likewise the students get a say on which food vendors will be permitted on campus. Just like how Simon can decide which food vendors they will have on their mall food courts.

(((
Quote:
The fact that the student union leader came out and said that it is one of their most profitable business speaks to how much the general campus population feels about their views.
)))

Regardless, the students get to decide. And frankly this could be a good reason if the student union is getting overcrowded by fox-news-watching hillbillies that drove from miles around just to show their support for the company, that is a very compelling reason in my opinion to terminate their contract. Especially if they are unable to fulfill their primary obligation which is to serve the students.

Sounds like it's becoming a distraction on campus and making it hard for students to grab a quick bite in between classes. I can certainly understand why it wouldn't be welcomed there anymore for those reasons alone.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:08 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
I'd say the problem with CFA isn't that the CEO supports 'traditional' marriage but that the company actively donates money to organizations that actively try to restrict marriage rights for gays. At least, it's a problem to me.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:09 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
)))

That's certainly the right of the customer. But likewise the students get a say on which food vendors will be permitted on campus. Just like how Simon can decide which food vendors they will have on their mall food courts.

((()))

Regardless, the students get to decide. And frankly this could be a good reason if the student union is getting overcrowded by fox-news-watching hillbillies that drove from miles around just to show their support for the company, that is a very compelling reason in my opinion to terminate their contract. Especially if they are unable to fulfill their primary obligation which is to serve the students.

Sounds like it's becoming a distraction on campus and making it hard for students to grab a quick bite in between classes. I can certainly understand why it wouldn't be welcomed there anymore for those reasons alone.
The students are deciding. Again, if they are so against it, then why is it one of the most profitable businesses in their student union? Money talks, if they didn't want it there they wouldn't spend their money there. And the student union isn't going to get rid of a business that makes them a lot of money. The biggest voice these students have is their pockets plain and simple.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I'm pointing out something specific the right does way more than the left. I don't recall any censorship efforts at all coming from the left anywhere aside from individual crackpots in no position of prominence like a few busybody PTA moms. There's censorship coming from conservatives so frequently its a regular thing like getting that recent gay dating commercial off the Super Bowl, the flag burning amendment, Glenn Beck saying he wants to murder Michael Moore, John Ash Croft covering the Justice Department statue's breast. It just never ends and its dishonest to say "oh the left does it just as much", thats a typical right wing blame shifting tactic they do to feel morally justified.
Why can't you accept the facts that both parties engage in activities that are detrimental to this country? What's so hard about allowing the left to take as much blame as the right?

Old 08-18-2012, 02:25 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
Why can't you accept the facts that both parties engage in activities that are detrimental to this country? What's so hard about allowing the left to take as much blame as the right?
Why are you using a vague abstraction to put words in my mouth? I said conservatives are all about censorship way more than liberals. Disagree with me if you want but don't fabricate stuff, you're making a statement with no proof behind it other than you have a vague belief "both parties are bad" but have little to no specific knowledge of how they are, why they are or on what issues they do more harm than others so I see no real need to keep harping on it when you're making no point and throwing out generic platitudes

Old 08-18-2012, 06:39 PM

Fine have it your way bro.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:21 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Here is the thing. I gradauted from College Park and the campus is actually not that liberal compared to other college towns like Austin, Berkeley, Madison, etc. Most students were apolitical and cared more about what the football or basketball coach said and which parties were happening and which bars were opening up than world events. The ibggest protest I remember was when it impacted students own lives like with the lack of housing for seniors and the price of campus housing. HOWEVER, a very small minority of very vocal liberal students do make their voices heard due to the apathetic nature of the student body. I doubt they will get enough signatures. Chick fil A is the most busy place in the campus food court. I will be honest though, I don't care for that particular chick fil A since it ALWAYS made my stomach upset, this has never happened at any other location anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
View detailed profiles of: