Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 09:37 AM

490 posts, read 924,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxbane View Post
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on making a move to the area. I am currently living in Yorktown VA, and was in Norfolk for a few years prior to that. I will be coming to the area for a job at Indian Head, I work in IT Security. I am 27 and moving there with my 25 y/o fiance' and we are expecting our first child within the next couple of days. We are both Caucasian, active and looking for a decent community, not too crowded but not desolate either.

From soon-to-be co-workers at Indian Head, they recommend we live in either La Plata or Waldorf. After doing some research, and reading a lot on this forum we would prefer to stick with La Plata since it is more rural and has less crime, not quite as crowded, better schools etc. My Fiance will be looking to teach there next school year, or in Waldorf/any surrounding city in Charles County.

Can anyone give any insight into La Plata compared to Waldorf, or even make any suggestions of other cities that are decent in the area for a commute to Indian Head and with possible teaching opportunities for her in the future? We have lived in Norfolk and I am from Cleveland, she is from NY so we aren't stuck on something high class but definitely want something relatively safe and enjoyable.. Looking to spend up to 1,400 a month and we are looking for a 2br place, possibly 3.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! We know nothing of the area except what I have been reading.

First off I want to say congratulation on your new baby!!!! If your Husband was okay with the commute I would recommend Howard or Montgomery County (great places to live).....La Plata decent area to live in, but I perfer you check out places in Alexandria (right across the Bridge) and it still a good commute...... Here are a few places I recommend checking out

201 Carols Place #23, La Plata MD - Trulia

Abbotts Run Apartments - Alexandria, VA 22309 | Apartments for Rent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 10:02 AM

64 posts, read 121,749 times
MrMaryland,

Thanks for the response (I am the Husband and OP lol)

I was intrigued that you recommended living in Alexandria? I have been to Alexandria and liked it, but as far as commuting goes I know most people who work at Indian Head that I have spoke to recommended living in La Plata or Waldorf? I guess if I was living in Alexandria and driving to Indian Head for work that theoretically I would be going against traffic flow so it might not be as bad as what most are experiencing. Google says it is 33minutes from Indian Head to Alexandria (not counting traffic).

I honestly would prefer to live in Virginia myself but the job is at Indian Head. I must say I am shocked to see there is no quick way to get to areas such as Woodbridge etc other than going all the way up from Indian Head, through Alexandria and then back down.. Is there no bridge that you could simply cross the river?

La Plata seems like a more rural nice place, unfortunately the place you posted is rented already and we are having trouble finding a good rental in la Plata (but we are still hopeful)..

Old 12-31-2013, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 9,790 times
Default How to use Ride-On bus system?

How does one use the Ride-On bus system? I know you have to stand at the designated bus stops for each route, however, will I need to signal to the bus driver that I want to get on, or will they automatically stop to pick me up? When I use my smartrip card, will it beep or anything to let me know it was accepted?

I just moved to Montgomery County from West Virginia so i'm not sure how similar or different the bus system will be. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:20 PM

15 posts, read 67,698 times
Anyone have any thoughts on the townhomes on Brummel Court in Brightwood? Looks nice, good location, great size for price. What's the catch? Is it sketchy right around there? http://www.redfin.com/DC/Washington/.../home/10054354

Last edited by LauraMM; 01-10-2014 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: edited to provide link

Old 01-10-2014, 02:07 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMM View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on the townhomes on Brummel Court in Brightwood? Looks nice, good location, great size for price. What's the catch? Is it sketchy right around there? 554 BRUMMEL Ct NORTHWEST #554, WASHINGTON, DC 20012 | MLS# DC8251129 | Redfin
This TH is in DC. You should post this on the Washington, DC forum for more responses. Meanwhile, here is a 3-year-old posting about Brightwood:

Brightwood: DC’s Northern Neighborhood on the Cusp

Old 01-10-2014, 02:51 PM

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 AM

49 posts, read 151,715 times
Hi, I'd love some insight into the different suburbs. We will be moving to the DC area in a year for a job. My husband will be commuting into DC at MOST one day a week and will be traveling out of national airport the rest of the week.
We have 3 kids who will be going into 3rd, 5th, and still in preschool when we make the move. Public school quality is VERY very important to us. Please don't suggest private schools or moving to an area with schools rated less than "8" on great schools- not going to happen.

We currently live in a "shangri-la" type of place (small affluent college town in a rural part of New England) that I know we will not be able to replicate but the things I love most about living here are the friendly people who are involved in the community, very safe feeling, lots of community offerings such as sports for kids, library activities, dance studios/music lessons, etc.

Also, we are Jewish and while not strictly observant, I do not want my children to be the only Jewish children in their classes and we need to be within a reasonable drive of a reform synagogue for religious education which is ongoing for many years to come for our family.

We want to live in a neighborhood with lots of families and we don't need a ton of privacy with lots of land to take care of. I'd rather my kids had other friends houses they could walk to down the street than an acre in the middle of nowhere . I would say we are looking in the neighborhood of 800K and we must have 4 bedrooms. We would be willing to do cosmetic upgrades (new kitchen or bathroom) but then we would want to pay more like $750K.

We have family in Bethesda so that is a logical place to look but I've also been looking at Potomac and Silver Spring/Rockville on realtor.com....but not sure about Rockville/SS schools.

Would also consider looking on the VA side into Mclean because it is closer to the airport for my husband, but there is much less Jewish influence over there so not sure it would be ideal.

Would love your insight!

Old 01-14-2014, 08:28 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahopeful View Post
Hi, I'd love some insight into the different suburbs. We will be moving to the DC area in a year for a job. My husband will be commuting into DC at MOST one day a week and will be traveling out of national airport the rest of the week.
We have 3 kids who will be going into 3rd, 5th, and still in preschool when we make the move. Public school quality is VERY very important to us. Please don't suggest private schools or moving to an area with schools rated less than "8" on great schools- not going to happen.

We currently live in a "shangri-la" type of place (small affluent college town in a rural part of New England) that I know we will not be able to replicate but the things I love most about living here are the friendly people who are involved in the community, very safe feeling, lots of community offerings such as sports for kids, library activities, dance studios/music lessons, etc.

Also, we are Jewish and while not strictly observant, I do not want my children to be the only Jewish children in their classes and we need to be within a reasonable drive of a reform synagogue for religious education which is ongoing for many years to come for our family.

We want to live in a neighborhood with lots of families and we don't need a ton of privacy with lots of land to take care of. I'd rather my kids had other friends houses they could walk to down the street than an acre in the middle of nowhere . I would say we are looking in the neighborhood of 800K and we must have 4 bedrooms. We would be willing to do cosmetic upgrades (new kitchen or bathroom) but then we would want to pay more like $750K.

We have family in Bethesda so that is a logical place to look but I've also been looking at Potomac and Silver Spring/Rockville on realtor.com....but not sure about Rockville/SS schools.

Would also consider looking on the VA side into Mclean because it is closer to the airport for my husband, but there is much less Jewish influence over there so not sure it would be ideal.

Would love your insight!
I think Rockville would be a very good choice, because of convenience and the schools. The schools in Rockville rank higher than schools in Silver Spring (last I saw, and I doubt that has changed). Frankly, I like the feel and look of Silver Spring and Rockville the most. In VA, have you thought about Arlington? I don't know about the Jewish presence there, however.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:05 AM

560 posts, read 1,130,457 times
I just moved to DC 2 weeks ago and didnt really know what to expect... but it is actually 10x more convenient than Baltimore and a lot more diverse and livelier. A lot of Ethiopians and Latinos in my area and even going up into Silver Spring and Wheaton. I really like that diversity. Public transportation is spot on every time and the Wheaton Mall is amazing and I lived behind the Wal Mart on Georgia Ave. So things have panned out extremely well for me

Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 AM

Will your husband be going to/from National during rush hour? If yes, you probably want to stick as close the the beltway as possible to cut down on his commute time. If not, you'll have a lot more flexibility.

I'd definitely recommend Bethesda and Potomac. I grew up in the area and it has just what you're looking for: safety, lots of families, community activities, great schools, and a very substantial Jewish population. I went to Churchill High School and believe my graduating class was about 60% Jewish.

I knew kids who grew up on this street. Nice neighborhood, walking distance to schools. 8104 LAKENHEATH Way, POTOMAC, MD 20854 | MLS# MC8165140 | Redfin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland