Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Agreement on models we drop back down to below normal in the Northeast. This translates to 40s and 50s at night and 60s and 70s during the day again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:07 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
You cant change an overall pattern by 2 days of heat but the media wants you to believe its the end of the world. I have been plastering the fact that locations have been 10-20 degrees below normal for the high all month yet 2 days of warm weather is the headlines for a week. Its amazing what they do to grab attention.... but wouldnt this cool month grab attention just as much??

14 straight months of above normal temps we will finally break that...I think thats a headline in itself.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
While I don't see above normal heat for much of the USA in the short term...it appears that highs will not be too much below normal either:

Here is WC forecast highs for the coming this week. Mid week will be scorching for the Middle Atlantic/Tri-State area. Most of the USA will be hot, save for maybe the PNW. After that, next weeks highs look close to normal in much of the USA. Not sure is those near 100 F are quite normal in the southern Plains/Texas by next week however :

Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Today just feels like one of those irritating spring days when the sun keeps going in and out and each time it comes out the temp rises 3 degrees only to fall back into the cool range as soon as it goes behind a cloud...yawn. Bring on some proper summer warm...

Old 06-19-2012, 07:21 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You cant change an overall pattern by 2 days of heat but the media wants you to believe its the end of the world. I have been plastering the fact that locations have been 10-20 degrees below normal for the high all month yet 2 days of warm weather is the headlines for a week. Its amazing what they do to grab attention.... but wouldnt this cool month grab attention just as much??

14 straight months of above normal temps we will finally break that...I think thats a headline in itself.
But your models show huge swaths of above normal temps north of us. We are the only little cool spot.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
New Month Rating System I have Devised.

I will now be creating a new rating system using daily ratings which are then averaged for the final month rating. This I feel would give the most accurate way to rate a month. So for this month of June, because of how poor it is, most days have received 0/10, and the best days have managed 4 out of 10; the current average stands at 1.2 / 10. A "good summer month" would have an average rating of about 6 or above.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
No. People pay attention to absolute weather more than relative changes. A high of 70°F might merit a comment about it being comfortable and a little cool for the time of year, a high of 97°F is uncomfortable to plenty of people and gets attention.

Average high for the month here has been 72°F, maybe 4-5°F below normal. There was only one day so far as anomalously cold (by highs) as the forecast heat waves, and by daily mean the heat wave probably comes out ahead.

Quote:
Agreed, but the 14 months are impressive.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:33 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,777 times
A little heat this week for the east and than back to cooler weather

Old 06-19-2012, 08:48 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
But your models show huge swaths of above normal temps north of us. We are the only little cool spot.
Also, I think we need to remember that up to this point...this is still the warmest start to a year in history in many parts of the world. I just saw this:

AccuWeather.com - Climate Change | The Second Warmest May on Record Globally

To be honest, global climate change scares the hell out of me. I like I world/USA climate just as it is. We can travel and get snow and cold in North Dakota or Maine a good part of the year, warm and sunny beach weather in Florida or CA 12 months a year, dry weather in the deserts...etc. I hope our climate stays the same forever. So to be honest, I really hope this streak of warmer than normal months ends soon, if for no other reason than stabilty.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:00 AM

356 posts, read 677,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Also, I think we need to remember that up to this point...this is still the warmest start to a year in history in many parts of the world. I just saw this:

AccuWeather.com - Climate Change | The Second Warmest May on Record Globally

To be honest, global climate change scares the hell out of me. I like I world/USA climate just as it is. We can travel and get snow and cold in North Dakota or Maine a good part of the year, warm and sunny beach weather in Florida or CA 12 months a year, dry weather in the deserts...etc. I hope our climate stays the same forever. So to be honest, I really hope this streak of warmer than normal months ends soon, if for no other reason than stabilty.

To me the psychological affect on a cooler then normal month would be wonderful, I would love to see a break in the pattern, better yet a break in the pattern during the first summer month. Hopefully nationally and locally this holds. I'm no looking for record cool or anything... 10 days to go hoping current heat is short lived and cooler trend continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather