Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:51 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,097,591 times

Advertisements

Is there an inside joke here that I'm missing or something?

I think we should all just erase this word from our vocabulary, or some of us here might become suddenly overwhelmed with involuntary tics at its mere mention.

Last edited by pdw; 10-24-2013 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 10:51 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,519,710 times
Because people from cold places who are secretly torn up inside and would rather live somewhere warm try to cast their native climate into something it's not with the label subtropical. The rest of us call them out for it and then the fun begins.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:48 AM

13,488 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Because people such as Koppen gave certain places a sub-tropical classification, when they are anything but. So we have the problem that many areas are considered "sub-tropical" purely from going by his hugely flawed system, when they do not fit the typical view most would have as sub-tropical... For example, to me somewhere that has hot summers & cold winters is not sub-tropical, but continental, yet Koppen considers many climates like this as sub-tropical, when most consider sub-tropical climates to be warm year round...

Old 10-25-2013, 06:55 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,109,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Because people such as Koppen gave certain places a sub-tropical classification, when they are anything but. So we have the problem that many areas are considered "sub-tropical" purely from going by his hugely flawed system, when they do not fit the typical view most would have as sub-tropical... For example, to me somewhere that has hot summers & cold winters is not sub-tropical, but continental, yet Koppen considers many climates like this as sub-tropical, when most consider sub-tropical climates to be warm year round...
another problem is how do you define warm? for some having a 6c mean in january is warm enough. for others they only think 12c+ winters is warm enough.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:11 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
The term contains the word "tropical", which is where the problem lies. Subtropical climates aren't "allowed" to have cool winters, however, there's never any issue with subarctic climates that have warm summers. I honestly find it funny.

There's also some disagreement on what is "continental" and "temperate", but those aren't as controversial.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:12 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Because people from cold places who are secretly torn up inside and would rather live somewhere warm try to cast their native climate into something it's not with the label subtropical. The rest of us call them out for it and then the fun begins.
Exactly!

Old 10-25-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
The term contains the word "tropical", which is where the problem lies. Subtropical climates aren't "allowed" to have cool winters, however, there's never any issue with subarctic climates that have warm summers. I honestly find it funny.

There's also some disagreement on what is "continental" and "temperate", but those aren't as controversial.
But the very fact that the word is sub-tropical should give you a clue as to what climate type it should be...

Quote:
sub-

1. a prefix occurring originally in loanwords from Latin ( subject; subtract; subvert; subsidy ); on this model, freely attached to elements of any origin and used with the meaning “under,” “below,” “beneath” ( subalpine; substratum ), “slightly,” “imperfectly,” “nearly” ( subcolumnar; subtropical ), “secondary,” “subordinate” ( subcommittee; subplot ).
Sub-tropical should mean just falling short of a tropical climate, or a climate that is almost or nearly tropical

Old 10-25-2013, 08:39 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
To be fair, I can kind of see where Infamous is coming from. Oulu is considered subarctic, but is definitely not nearly arctic, or just short of being arctic.

I still don't think New York is subtropical, though.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:48 AM

Exactly, that just shows how flawed the Koppen classifications are

Old 10-25-2013, 09:16 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
Quote:
But the very fact that the word is sub-tropical should give you a clue as to what climate type it should be...

Sub-tropical should mean just falling short of a tropical climate, or a climate that is almost or nearly tropical
But that would mean "subtropical" is more of a characteristic of specific "almost tropical" locations as opposed to being its own climate type. I don't think the tiny "almost tropical" zone is deserving of its own classification, unless the same is done for all of the other climate classifications, but that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
To be fair, I can kind of see where Infamous is coming from. Oulu is considered subarctic, but is definitely not nearly arctic, or just short of being arctic.

I still don't think New York is subtropical, though.
It is though.

Quote:
Exactly, that just shows how flawed the Koppen classifications are
It isn't just Koppen, many of the northern subtropical cities (under Koppen's system), like DC and NYC, are still borderline subtropical under Trewartha's classifications, I guess that system is flawed as well, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather