Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:51 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,186,337 times

Advertisements

I think the main features of a subtropical climate are: 1) Latitude (25°-35°), resulting in long winter daylight 2) Transition between the 4 temperate seasons scheme and the 2 hot tropical seasons scheme. Winter temperatures and winter activity of plants and animals are generally only a natural consequence of these two main conditions. Climates with 6 months of hot temperatures (such as Florida, South Carolina) are subtropical, because it means that the other 3 seasons are very short and going further south, towards south Florida, you gradually have only 2 tropical seasons. Cool oceanic climates of high latitudes are just the opposite of subtropical, they're transitional to polar climates, which have long dark winters and short cool summers with very long daylight. So is Washington DC more subtropical-like than Glasgow? Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 03:22 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,448,074 times
No need to depend on someone to define anything. Look it up.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:10 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,692,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
No need to depend on someone to define anything. Look it up.
Apparently you haven't read any of this thread yet.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Cool oceanic climates of high latitudes are just the opposite of subtropical, they're transitional to polar climates, which have long dark winters and short cool summers with very long daylight. So is Washington DC more subtropical-like than Glasgow? Yes.
What about mid latitude Oceanic climates though? Is Washington DC more subtropical than Melbourne or Auckland? No, I think not.

Last edited by Joe90; 10-29-2013 at 10:36 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 12:28 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,310,289 times
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the one thing that all tropical, subtropical and temperate with subtropical leaning places have in common is that they have WET summers and DRY winters?If I looked at a temperature chart for a place and saw it had DRY summers and WET winters, I personally would automatically dismiss it as being tropical/subtropical or temperate with subtropical leaning.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:37 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the one thing that all tropical, subtropical and temperate with subtropical leaning places have in common is that they have WET summers and DRY winters?If I looked at a temperature chart for a place and saw it had DRY summers and WET winters, I personally would automatically dismiss it as being tropical/subtropical or temperate with subtropical leaning.
So then somewhere like LA or San Diego doesn't have subtropical temperatures?

Old 10-30-2013, 03:48 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,310,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
So then somewhere like LA or San Diego doesn't have subtropical temperatures?
I'd consider LA and San Diego to have mediterranean climates.

In Australia, I'd consider Adelaide to be mediterranean, Brisbane subtropical, Cairns/Darwin tropical, Melbourne temperate (with mediterranean leanings), Sydney temperate (with subtropical leanings).

I live mid North Coast and we are still temperate - just below subtropical. I tend to think of the subtropic zone starting where the vegetation starts looking tropical.

What I did notice is that when one looks up "subtropics", it refers to the zones surrounding the tropics but subtropical as an actual climate zone seems more to refer to "humid subtropical climate".

So LA and San Diego are in the subtropics but they don't have subtropical climates.

So maybe that's where the confusion is - not all places in the subtropics have subtropical climates. Even then some places are considered subtropical when they are actually temperate.

Subtropics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Humid subtropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-30-2013, 07:59 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times
The answer is clear. "Subtropical" needs to be more finely divided. Highs could be 70 F and sunny in Southern Texas but 30 F (Very Rare, but it does happen) and cloudy in Southern NJ during the winter. Yet, both locations are classified as subtropical.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Melbourne temperate (with mediterranean leanings),
Why do you consider Melbourne to have Mediterranean leanings? It's monthly rainfall totals varies by only small amounts during the year. It's rainfall distribution is almost the perfect example of what Cfb rainfall is said to be.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:05 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
The answer is clear. "Subtropical" needs to be more finely divided. Highs could be 70 F and sunny in Southern Texas but 30 F (Very Rare, but it does happen) and cloudy in Southern NJ during the winter. Yet, both locations are classified as subtropical.
The opposite is possible is well, even though it isn't common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather