Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 11:12 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah18 View Post
This evening in Grand Teton National Park
Awesome! Bison and snowy backdrop has a touch of an Ice Age look. Have you seen Black Bear or other bears there? I'm sure Coyotes are pretty common there.

----------------------------

View from my webcam facing West. I can see my weather station live on screen now. lol. Lots of trees around me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 11:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Awesome! Bison and snowy backdrop has a touch of an Ice Age look. Have you seen Black Bear or other bears there? I'm sure Coyotes are pretty common there.
Black bears are probably more common here than there:

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...n_memoria.html

Old 05-29-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Speaking of Black Bears... Scroll down to my 5 posts in this thread. You and others might find interesting or helpful.

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...954-bears.html

Edit... Just in case folks don't scroll through... Here's Black Bear Population per state. and CT Sightings

Old 05-29-2014, 11:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Speaking of Black Bears... Scroll down to my 5 posts in this thread. You and others might find interesting or helpful.
They're common here, had one walk past my window last summer. Local police officer said they wander in town every month or so. Also see the last photo in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...l#post34835565

Old 05-29-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
They're common here, had one walk past my window last summer. Local police officer said they wander in town every month or so. Also see the last photo in this thread:

Definitely more common in MA than CT and then some migrate south. I haven't personally seen any but from the guys posting in that thread it's pretty common to see in northern CT. One guy said he trained them not to eat the bird feed.

The closest a Black bear came to here was about 10 minutes away in Wilton. I had a fox run across my snowy yard over winter, went to grab camera and it was gone. Saw a Coyote as well.

We had Mountain Lion roaming around here too. We Even had a Moose alert and sighting down here.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:

PA has legal hunting of bears. Loads of them in the rural areas. In Philly they wander into the burbs every now and then. Just had one recently that had to be euthanized.

Bucks County Black Bear Killed After Breaking Leg | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Old 05-29-2014, 12:23 PM

584 posts, read 576,335 times
Quote:
Amazing photos, I assume you had a long lens for the bison? The valley (Jackson Hole?) looks greener than I expected, considering how cold your photos look. Here some photos I took on my trip last summer:

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...l#post30963184

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...l#post30813837
Beautiful photos you took! No long lens for the bison shots. I used a little pocket sized point and shoot.

Quote:

----------------------------

View from my webcam facing West. I can see my weather station live on screen now. lol. Lots of trees around me
Recently I've seen black bears, grizzlies, elk, moose, deer, coyote and a few of these guys:

I've heard wolves but haven't seen any yet this year.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:36 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Beautiful photos you took! No long lens for the bison shots. I used a little pocket sized point and shoot.

Recently I've seen black bears, grizzlies, elk, moose, deer, coyote and a few of these guys:

I've heard wolves but haven't seen any yet this year.

What about Mountain Lions do you ever see them? I would think they are pretty stealth.

People keep saying they are back in the east, but nothing confirmed by our state yet.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:39 PM

584 posts, read 576,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What about Mountain Lions do you ever see them? I would think they are pretty stealth.

People keep saying they are back in the east, but nothing confirmed by our state yet.
I haven't seen one. My brother got some of photos of a mom and kittens last year, north of Jackson. I'll have to see if he still has them.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Um, how close were you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather