Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:51 PM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What about Mountain Lions do you ever see them? I would think they are pretty stealth.

People keep saying they are back in the east, but nothing confirmed by our state yet.
Replying to this since you mentioned "back east".. One was spotted here couple years ago even close to the coast in Greenwich... The strangest thing was happening before I even found out there was one roaming around... Deers (which are everywhere) were coming out of the woods and "running" parallel to the Merritt Parkway... I either don't see them or see them just grazing the grass but they looked disturbed. Sure enough I believe they sensed or was running from the Lion itself.

Mountain Lion in CT

Then it was killed on the Merritt Parkway by a car. It came from 1600 miles away in South Dakota they said.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 01:03 PM

584 posts, read 576,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Um, how close were you?
Close, but I was in my truck. I took those photos while I was stopped waiting for bison to get out of the road. I had to stop 4 or 5 times.

Here are two of my dogs looking out the window at a couple of bison that just crossed in front of us (they have seat belts on, so they can't jump out).

Old 05-29-2014, 06:39 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
Impressive cloud that I noticed. Somehow, this is NOT a thunderstorm currently.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:44 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,692,360 times
It looks like a decaying ex-thunderstorm.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:57 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
It looks like a decaying ex-thunderstorm.
Yep, the usual fare around here.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:20 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Do you have rowan trees at all in your cities? Like sorbus aucuparia. Haven't noticed really any of them. Why not? Beautiful bloom, berries, and stunning foliage.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:02 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Yes, we have Rowan trees here. This one looks a little sad though.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:25 PM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Do you have rowan trees at all in your cities? Like sorbus aucuparia. Haven't noticed really any of them. Why not? Beautiful bloom, berries, and stunning foliage.
Can't say I have here. I just called some arborists to see if they had any trees to drip off for me. I'm ready to split more. Cherry is my favorite. We used to have a lot of Elms around but they started getting a disease decades ago and now pretty much hard to find but some old ones still standing.

I wish more folks planted hickory. Cheerry. And Birches. Oaks are common here as well as the evergreens.

I came across a smoke tree last year. Man that wood makes the stove ping and burn hot! Hard to find smoke trees around.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:52 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Can't say I have here. I just called some arborists to see if they had any trees to drip off for me. I'm ready to split more. Cherry is my favorite. We used to have a lot of Elms around but they started getting a disease decades ago and now pretty much hard to find but some old ones still standing.

I wish more folks planted hickory. Cheerry. And Birches. Oaks are common here as well as the evergreens.

I came across a smoke tree last year. Man that wood makes the stove ping and burn hot! Hard to find smoke trees around.
Oh. Here it's a very popular garden and city tree.

And you can see why:

http://www.napsu.fi/files/images/S/0...A4.preview.jpg

http://www.vastavalo.fi/albums/userp...al_pihlaja.jpg

Linden, birch and maple are the dominant deciduous trees, but people (and cities as well) have started to plant cherry, magnolias and lilacs in a greater extent, which is nice. The Elms are considered endangered here due to the Dutch Elm disease which wiped out almost the whole population. Hickory is very unusual for some reason. Oaks are popular to a lesser extent, but many people don't have the patience for them to grow, as due to the cool climate they aren't very fast growers, but stunning when they are really old.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Neat trees. Don't think I've seen them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather