Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 04:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Idk, who says that cops wouldn't have done the same for anyone else? Maybe has more to do with how to appears, conduct yourself, etc., than race. Don't know what your race is anyway.
I meant profiled in the general... overall appearance, where race might be one factor among others; and yea demeanor. My example might be a poor one, if the fare readers break often and it's common for people to go around them, I thought the city police is rather aggressive at giving out to tickets for fare evasion.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Some of my coworkers own guns. One went out and bought a gun because of his fear of ISIS (seriously). From what I've heard it sounds fairly easy to get one, I doubt many gun owners can shoot effectively.
That sounds a bit scary....

From what I remember, gun ownership wasn't that common on Long Island, though of course some did.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:52 PM

Gary Johnson is polling better than Trump among young voters. Just one poll but still

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/751905118556082176

Old 07-09-2016, 04:53 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Well isn't it funny how people want "smaller government" yet want gay marriage and marijuana to be illegal. Do they not see the irony?
Yep they're hypocrites. Small government except when it doesn't fit with their limited world view.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Absolutely 100% agree with this. People that own lots of guns probably can't fight with their hands or defend themselves like real men, so they get guns to feel more manly and tough. They think having guns makes them real men.
Some of them also think driving a big truck makes them manly. Probably trying to compensate for other short comings.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:36 PM

659 posts, read 899,701 times
BMI = 29.2
Not obese but very close

-Fatty McFatterson

Old 07-09-2016, 05:56 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,412,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
That's another common mentality here that is just wrong. Death penalty should be abolished.

Re: guns...it's funny how gun lovers like to act all tough when in fact they are a bunch of *******. They're not capable of defending themselves like true men. Then again, that shouldn't be a surprise since white, gun loving, Republican males tend to be the most insecure people out there.
Why white? What about black gun lovers? Mexican? Everyone here owns guns not just white people.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:00 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,412,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The second thing is that get rid of the "stand your ground" attitude. If the general attitude is that "I'll just lit the guy up and then I'm a big man", you will have guns all around forever. But if you are charged with murder if you kill a burglar, that might have an incentive for people to get rid of their guns.

Muslim12 demonstrated well the mentality of some Americans. "Yeaah blast their brains out if they tread on me!!" If someone mugs you or break into your home, let them and collect insurance. Your so-called honour isn't lost.

And as a person with military training, I know how lethal modern assault rifles are, they are effective beyond belief that it's scary. Such weapons should never ever be allowed to an ordinary citizen.
If they are threatening me of course I will. Now if im being robbed if they don't threaten me with a weapon I won't, but I sure as hell won't sit there and watch my house being robbed.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Why white? What about black gun lovers? Mexican? Everyone here owns guns not just white people.
Didn't say otherwise, but whites are more likely to own guns. Let's not kid ourselves.

Quote:
White Americans are more than twice as likely to own guns as blacks or Latinos, and more likely to oppose gun safety reforms, according to previously unreleased data from Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health researchers.

The survey, conducted by the Center for Gun Policy and Research and initially released without racial breakdowns in late January, showed strong support overall for many of the proposals being discussed in Congress to limit gun violence. But the researchers broke down the numbers by race this week and shared the results with Salon.

Overall, 22 percent of Americans were found to own guns, while another 11 percent live in homes with someone else who owns guns. Among whites, the number of gun owners is slightly higher, at 26 percent, with an additional 13 percent who live in gun-owning households.
New data: Whites twice as likely to own guns - Salon.com

From Pew:

Quote:
The new research also suggests a paradox: While blacks are significantly more likely than whites to be gun homicide victims, blacks are only about half as likely as whites to have a firearm in their home (41% vs. 19%). Hispanics are less likely than blacks to be gun homicide victims and half as likely as whites to have a gun at home (20%).

----

Americans with a gun at home also differ politically from other adults. Republicans are twice as likely as Democrats to be members of a gun-owning household. Political independents also are more likely than Democrats to have a firearm in their homes.
The demographics and politics of gun-owning households | Pew Research Center

Men, Married, Southerners Most Likely to Be Gun Owners

Old 07-09-2016, 06:35 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
White guilt is my guess.

"White guilt" is nonsensical from my standpoint. Mongols, Russians, Turks, Jews, Germans, and so on have done ****ty things to my people. I have no reason to ****ing apologize to anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather