Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better collection of climates?
The U.K. 47 36.43%
The U.S. South 82 63.57%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:02 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstName_LastName View Post
If Trump is elected, he will build one across the US-Mexico border. Someone can also get him to build one across the US-Canada Border.
I propose they drain Hudson Bay and build a mountain over it so the polar vortex can go bother Manitoba and Yukon instead of Quebec and Ontario
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 09:37 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think the cold must be so much more damaging to plants there, because the winters are so much warmer. It doesn't get that cold here, but at the same time frost and ice is a big part of winter here and plants have get used to moderate cold, with the first frosts in mid autumn.

Jacarandas are great trees, but no Poinsettias unfortunately -they do grow from about the middle of the North Island north.

The winters really aren't that much warmer though. Nelson, NZ has July avg high/low of 55/35F. That is only a bit warmer than say Charleston which is 59/38F in January. But you will never have a Jacaranda survive in Charleston more than one or two winters. It is simply the extreme negative temp anomalies associated with polar air that gets to Charleston every winter.

This image shows all you need to know about the eastern US in winter, and why it stinks.

https://robertscribbler.files.wordpr...january-19.gif

Old 06-02-2016, 09:41 PM

10 posts, read 9,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The winters really aren't that much warmer though. Nelson, NZ has July avg high/low of 55/35F. That is only a bit warmer than say Charleston which is 59/38F in January. But you will never have a Jacaranda survive in Charleston more than one or two winters. It is simply the extreme negative temp anomalies associated with polar air that gets to Charleston every winter.

This image shows all you need to know about the eastern US in winter, and why it stinks.

As long as a place doesn't drop below 20F often, then it can grow a Jacaranda tree with ease.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Lies, most areas in Houston haven't had an ice day in decades.

If Trump is elected, he will build one across the US-Mexico border. Someone can also get him to build one across the US-Canada Border.

Prove it.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:47 PM

10 posts, read 9,445 times
Quote:

Looks like much of Florida and Texas were spared, according to that picture. Texas, especially is a huge chunk of land, being the second largest state in the country. Florida is quite long itself. Thus, there is lots of land for people to live for warm, stable climates.

Quote:
Prove it.
Check NOAA data, you find that many Houston-area communities haven't seen any ice days since the 1980s (which brought severe cold all over the East).

Old 06-02-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Looks like much of Florida and Texas were spared, according to that picture. Texas, especially is a huge chunk of land, being the second largest state in the country. Florida is quite long itself. Thus, there is lots of land for people to live for warm, stable climates.

Check NOAA data, you find that many Houston-area communities haven't seen any ice days since the 1980s (which brought severe cold all over the East).

I did.

Anahuac, TX 32F 2011
Houston NWSO 33F 2011
Houston Clover Field 32F 2011
Houston Hobby 33F 2011
Houston Sugarland 33F 2011
Houston Intercontinental Airport 31F 2011
Baytown, TX 32F 2011

The other areas around Houston had no data for 2011 or at all.

I'm sure you want me to include Galveston so even though it is further from Houston than all those listed here you go: 35F in 2011. Rather pathetic given Galveston averages and location.

And I like how you state "most areas in Houston haven't had an ice day in decades" leaving out the part that the three listed above had a high temp of 33F. Those areas sure got no where near an ice day lol. Hmmm, I wonder how many hours they were below freezing that day.

What's up? Looks like you just joined city data tonight at 10:59pm.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:52 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
As long as a place doesn't drop below 20F often, then it can grow a Jacaranda tree with ease.
I don't think that is correct. Looking on UK garden forums, and it seems as though places milder than annual 20F minimums don't grow them, as it's too wet.

If they can grow there ( I haven't found any yet), I doubt it will be with ease.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:56 PM

13,488 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't think that is correct. Looking on UK garden forums, and it seems as though places milder than annual 20F minimums don't grow them, as it's too wet.

If they can grow there ( I haven't found any yet), I doubt it will be with ease.
Nope, they wont grow in the UK, I know some people that have tried...

Old 06-03-2016, 01:05 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Nope, they wont grow in the UK, I know some people that have tried...
How about Albizzia? -almost as nice a tree.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:40 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
Why don't jacarandas grow here? It's not too cold, is not too wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather