Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 04:24 PM

13,488 posts, read 9,036,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I would go only for her sake. I think, if you didn't go, she would be very upset. The honeymoon period will wear off eventually.
That's the only reason why I probably will go, but the thought of it fills me with dread. I really cannot stand the bloke, he's horrible, manipulative & controlling towards my sister. He also told me once he doesn't agree with "gays", but he doesn't have a problem with me (thanks) & used his Catholic upbringing (he's Irish) as an excuse for his bigotry. He also has his own plumbing business, my sister supported him financially while he was being trained, yet the business is 100% his, not theirs. Back in the UK our boiler broke down & he told us we needed all new pipes putting in as well as a new boiler & he was going to charge us full whack (no family discount or anything) which was a ridiculous amount of money, in the end we got a British Gas guy round who fixed our boiler & said it was a load of rubbish that we needed all new pipes etc.. so he was basically trying to rip us off. He tried doing the same to my Mum too when her boiler stopped working. Nice bloke.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:31 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Yeah, I know how you feel. You should talk to my mother - her parents divorced when she was 11, and her father re-married a few years later to a woman she can't stand. In fact, nobody in the family likes her. She's a horrid piece of work. My mother only tolerated her for her father's sake.

My grandfather is dead now though, so there is no reason to talk to her.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Thinking of it as going to your sister's wedding rather than thinking of who she's marrying.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:37 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Pretty much. I like NJ overall, I grew up not too far from north NJ. But, I don't like north Jersey much. I like the region around Freehold. What I don't like about southeast PA is that when it came to planning, it's like somebody just threw up houses and streets without much thought. Driving around especially Montgomery County sucks in that regard
Huh. I had a friend growing up who lived in Freehold. Didn't care for the area, especially planning-wise. Seemed bland and a bunch of new houses tossed on cul-de-sacs off of busy roads. I remember as kids we couldn't really walk too far or ride bikes because of the road layout. Have a friend in Old Bridge who had similar complaints about his area. Haven't explored North Jersey, but from streetview it appears there's some nice suburban towns.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:38 PM

13,488 posts, read 9,036,858 times
I know. We are all hoping the wedding wont happen, she actually had started moving her stuff out of their place & secretly storing at my Mum's as she was planning on leaving him again, then she announces they are getting married! Madness.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:44 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Like I said, the honeymoon period will wear off. One of my relatives was seeing this man - really insufferable, unpleasant to be around. Everyone saw it, except her. She got very defensive when people mentioned what kind of person he is. I think, deep down, she knew - she just wouldn't admit it to herself.

She eventually broke things off, and now she looks back and can't believe how stupid she was being.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
When I think of New Jersey from a British perspective, I think of wealthy New York suburbia. It's one of the richest states, right? So I doubt all of them are living near chimney towers belching out smoke, lol. Correct me if I'm wrong - and I believe this applies to Connecticut too - but New Jersey lacks a big city of its own, with places like Newark just being swallowed up by New York sprawl/overspill. Massachusetts has Boston. Seems to me that states like New Jersey and Connecticut are mostly either suburban sprawl or small towns.
Fairly accurate. While yes, there's plenty of area that isn't NYC suburbia; the majority of the population and even more so the wealth is NYC suburbia. The infamous industrial area of New Jersey is quite close to NYC, and two of the major highways (and I think the mainline train route) passes near it; so lots of visitors see it. Much of it is support infrastucture for the NYC region that can't be in NYC itself for obvious space reasons as well as better connection to the mainland US. Container cargo ports, power plants, gasoline storage tanks and oil refineries. I read a European writer who said the area reminded him of Mordor.

New Jersey has a number of medium sized formerly industrial cities, many of which (but not all) have suffered severe decline and become rather ghettoized. But overall, it's an affluent, mostly suburban state. The southern half of New Jersey as snj90 said isn't NYC suburbia at all, though part is Philadelphia suburbia.

Quote:
When I think of North Carolina, I think of rednecks.
I've thought of North Carolina as one of the nicest southern states; more scenic than most, and better run. A region in the central part of the state has become educated white-collar area.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:59 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,374,279 times
snj, would you say Philly has more southern influences than NYC?

Old 07-16-2016, 05:06 PM

NYC has just about zero southern influence, so that might be easy. I didn't notice anything southern about Philadelphia either, but I haven't spent much time there. I know some rural southern PA spots have a slight southern influence, though it's more Appalachian than truly southern.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:08 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,280,496 times
I have to laugh every time I hear someone say some **** about South NJ or DE being "Southern". Not even close. Just typical Mid-Atlantic areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather