Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 07:15 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,280,496 times

Advertisements

I lived in Cape May County for 7 years, so I may be a bit biased. I wouldn't consider anything besides Cape May, Cumberland, Atlantic, and Salem Counties "South Jersey".

Old 07-16-2016, 07:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Sounds about right, at least if there's no Central Jersey.
Oh, I'd consider Middlesex, Monmouth and maybe Mercer counties Central Jersey. Part of Ocean County too. Some NYC influence but not as connected as further north. Nor as north.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:30 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Oh, I'd consider Middlesex, Monmouth and maybe Mercer counties Central Jersey. Part of Ocean County too. Some NYC influence but not as connected as further north. Nor as north.
from my standpoint, I'd just consider "Central Jersey" essentially to be a subset of North Jersey.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:33 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
from my standpoint, I'd just consider "Central Jersey" essentially to be a subset of North Jersey.
Why not a transition zone with a mix of influences from both north and south Jersey?

Old 07-17-2016, 06:15 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,327,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
When I think of New Jersey from a British perspective, I think of wealthy New York suburbia. It's one of the richest states, right? So I doubt all of them are living near chimney towers belching out smoke, lol. Correct me if I'm wrong - and I believe this applies to Connecticut too - but New Jersey lacks a big city of its own, with places like Newark just being swallowed up by New York sprawl/overspill. Massachusetts has Boston. Seems to me that states like New Jersey and Connecticut are mostly either suburban sprawl or small towns.

When I think of North Carolina, I think of rednecks.
Depending on what part of NC you would be mostly correct. We lived in Goldsboro, Kinston and Mount Olive, all small towns in the eastern part of the state. Goldsboro wasn't AS bad because of the influence of the Air Force base. The others were horrible. Me, a former New Yorker, just hated it and couldn't wait to leave.

Now if you go near Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Asheville and especially CARY (Concentrated Area of New Yorkers), it's like being in another state.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Depending on what part of NC you would be mostly correct. We lived in Goldsboro, Kinston and Mount Olive, all small towns in the eastern part of the state. Goldsboro wasn't AS bad because of the influence of the Air Force base. The others were horrible. Me, a former New Yorker, just hated it and couldn't wait to leave.

Now if you go near Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Asheville and especially CARY (Concentrated Area of New Yorkers), it's like being in another state.
I've heard a different fake acronym for Cary, nc: containment area for relocated yankees

Old 07-17-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Why not a transition zone with a mix of influences from both north and south Jersey?
It isn't.. when the ppl look to new York rather that Philadelphia, that's not SJ. When they root for ny teams, etc. Pretty discrete variables, relatively speaking. The changeover is relatively sharp.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:40 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times
Quote:
It isn't.. when the ppl look to new York rather that Philadelphia, that's not SJ. When they root for ny teams, etc. Pretty discrete variables, relatively speaking. The changeover is relatively sharp.
I suppose that's one metric lol. I'm sure you'd see a mix of fans for both teams in some areas. Perhaps TV market would be an indicator.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:09 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,412,207 times
Quote:
I've heard a different fake acronym for Cary, nc: containment area for relocated yankees
I have heard that one the most. I never liked cary. Not because of transplants but because of it being to gosh darned suburban. Nothing special about it. I much prefer north Raleigh which is another area filled with transplants, but most are really good people. The area is super expensive though. To someone from up north it would be cheap. The houses there are generally 3 stories, have an acre of land, and have 3000sq ft+ of area in the house. The houses go for 350k and up. I love that area because it's near the lake, feels more outside of Raleigh, and has a bit more culture than Cary but still very suburban. I live east of Raleigh in a rural area, lots of farmland, not as many transplants, very hard core southern I suppose, and very cheap. I truly don't have a problem with transplants, there politics are more liberal I suppose but they are good people. It's just I don't want the state to be overpopulated and turn into suburban wasteland everywhere.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:11 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,412,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

Even cary and chapel Hill have there share of southerners still. Asheville is crazy, go any direction outside of town and you enter a whole other world. Kinston and Goldsboro are pretty broke down areas from my understanding. Both are losing population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather