Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 11:21 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times

Advertisements

"Religion" and "peace" don't belong in the same sentence.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:25 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Was going to Chicago this weekend to visit my brother, but got assigned a **** ton of homework so I'm no longer going.

Doesn't seem like I'm missing much anyways, mid 50s and rainy this weekend there
February is looking like it'd be the best time for you to go (weather-wise).

Old 01-19-2017, 11:35 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, the idea of ethnic enclaves while maybe not ideal doesn't mean it's a horror story, seems normal to me. From over heard, it's hard to distinguish between fear mongering and actual problems.

Kinda weird why this topic gets so emotional.
That's the nature of politics. Everyone has their own beliefs and people feel upset/angry when those beliefs are challenged. Some people like to pretend that they're above this, even though they're not.

It's also true that the kind of people who have firmly set beliefs, are usually not open to another way of thinking that doesn't conform with their own preconceived idea of things - so the end result is a bunch of irate people yelling at each other and repeating the same thing ad nauseum. All of the arguments I've seen on this thread, have been made on here and elsewhere on the internet countless times, but I can say, hand on heart, that it hasn't had an impact on my personal beliefs in any way, shape or form - and why should it?

You're also correct - there are genuine issues with racial segregation, but the kind of rhetoric pumped out by second-rate 'publications' like Breitbart do nothing to stimulate sensible discourse. This is a 'publication' that fabricated a news story about a bunch of refugees burning down a church in Germany - and you wonder why people like Ariete get so angry? Fake news isn't just a liberal meme - it's real, and these alt-right websites are proof of that.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:37 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,360,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
February is looking like it'd be the best time for you to go (weather-wise).
Funny you mention that, I was planning on going up there sometime in early or mid February anyways so it's not really that big of a deal that I can't go this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That's the nature of politics. Everyone has their own beliefs and people feel upset/angry when those beliefs are challenged.
And this right here is why I hate discussing politics, all it does is divide people. Two people that would otherwise get along are liable to hate each other just because of different beliefs politics are just as silly as religion.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:40 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,875 times
This forum has gone to ****. I was reading some of the chat threads from a couple years ago and laughed so much.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,360,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
This forum has gone to ****. I was reading some of the chat threads from a couple years ago and laughed so much.
Seriously. It's "graduated" to just asinine and boring political discussions over the same bull**** over and over again.

I too the other day was reading threads from 2015 and was cracking up.

The chat threads have gone from light-hearted, mostly joking type of conversations to boring **** in the last two years.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:44 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
Quote:
Funny you mention that, I was planning on going up there sometime in early or mid February anyways so it's not really that big of a deal that I can't go this weekend.

And this right here is why I hate discussing politics, all it does is divide people. Two people that would otherwise get along are liable to hate each other just because of different beliefs politics are just as silly as religion.
You're right. I previously had no issues at all with Ethereal but have had several heated debates with him over the issue of Islam and Muslims in general, and it does change your opinion of someone, even if you realise it shouldn't. We probably agree on most things, but this one particular issue seems hard to overcome.

It's also why political debate on internet forums is largely a waste of time - because nobody is going to back down and admit the other side is right. It just doesn't happen.

This forum was definitely a lot nicer before the General Chat Thread was introduced because previously it discouraged this kind of stuff from happening.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:06 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,503,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
What kind of drugs were smoked in the making of this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP9Wp6QVbsk
Holy shit, I'm ashamed of my country

Old 01-19-2017, 04:05 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,655,807 times
"winter mode" right now : chilly room temp, still mostly dark after 6am, and just looked at winter thread

Old 01-19-2017, 07:24 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,952,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
Holy shit, I'm ashamed of my country
Quote:
Seriously. It's "graduated" to just asinine and boring political discussions over the same bull**** over and over again.

I too the other day was reading threads from 2015 and was cracking up.

The chat threads have gone from light-hearted, mostly joking type of conversations to boring **** in the last two years.
I try (albeit poorly)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather