Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 10:34 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Golf is so random at the elite level though. Feels like anyone can win with a little luck.

That kind of take the edge out of it for me.
Really? I think it makes it more enjoyable.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:38 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
I find all sports boring to watch, but I like playing some of them. Basketball is my favourite. Tennis is fun too. Football's okay (European, not American).

Old 01-21-2017, 10:43 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,508,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Really? I think it makes it more enjoyable.
I think it's the same with the NHL since the wage cap got in. Now any club can become great thanks to the charity draft system (in effect if you get #1 in the draft two years in a row during supertalent years you can get back to the top too easily).

Of course professional soccer has gone off the rails in the other direction due to the absurd and moronic transfer fees paid by the Manchester clubs, Real Madrid etc but the NHL system is just laughable.

At least in motorbike racing the rider's skill can outweigh a poor bike and a proper difference between competitors can be clearly visible. Marc Márquez in many aspects had an inferior bike to the Yamaha riders and certainly less powerful than the Ducati and rideable than the Suzuki but through a combination of bravery, skill and smarts he overrode it and had it wrapped up in early October. That's cool stuff

Old 01-21-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I think it's the same with the NHL since the wage cap got in. Now any club can become great thanks to the charity draft system (in effect if you get #1 in the draft two years in a row during supertalent years you can get back to the top too easily).

Of course professional soccer has gone off the rails in the other direction due to the absurd and moronic transfer fees paid by the Manchester clubs, Real Madrid etc but the NHL system is just laughable.

At least in motorbike racing the rider's skill can outweigh a poor bike and a proper difference between competitors can be clearly visible. Marc Márquez in many aspects had an inferior bike to the Yamaha riders and certainly less powerful than the Ducati and rideable than the Suzuki but through a combination of bravery, skill and smarts he overrode it and had it wrapped up in early October. That's cool stuff
It's always more fun when the underdog has a chance. In golf, of course, there's never a "favorite" to win a tournament. The best player naturally has the best chance, but that's a highly relative perspective. There are dozens of other competitors with real chances.

I think the NFL playoffs are in some ways more exciting than the NHL, MLB, and NBA playoff & championship series because it's just one game for each round. Anything can happen. On the other hand, it's much less common for an 8 seeded NHL or NBA team to beat a 1 seed in the playoffs. Of course, if it's a game 7 in the World Series or Stanley Cup Finals, then it's a different story.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:00 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,508,583 times
Quote:

I think the NFL playoffs are in some ways more exciting than the NHL, MLB, and NBA playoff & championship series because it's just one game for each round. Anything can happen. On the other hand, it's much less common for an 8 seeded NHL or NBA team to beat a 1 seed in the playoffs. Of course, if it's a game 7 in the World Series or Stanley Cup Finals, then it's a different story.
On a completely different matter, do you follow the Ukrainian soccer league anything and do you have a favourite team?

Also is Donbass soon safe enough for Shakthar to return home? Kinda sucks to build a fancy new ground only to have it shelved by rockets...

Old 01-21-2017, 11:09 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I overpaid tax and now I've been sent a cheque by HMRC.

I've never received a cheque for anything in my life. I'm surprised they still use them - literally the only person I know who uses cheques is my grandmother.
I'm surprised, checks aren't commonly used over here, but they aren't exactly rare.

My first "real" job didn't have offer direct deposit, I didn't have a bank account at the time so it didn't really bother me, aside from the fact that I was walking around with hundreds of dollars in my wallet.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:13 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'm surprised, checks aren't commonly used over here, but they aren't exactly rare.

My first "real" job didn't have offer direct deposit, I didn't have a bank account at the time so it didn't really bother me, aside from the fact that I was walking around with hundreds of dollars in my wallet.
I think cheques are more commonly used in the US than other developed countries. It's like chip and pin was rolled out in European countries before the US.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
On a completely different matter, do you follow the Ukrainian soccer league anything and do you have a favourite team?

Also is Donbass soon safe enough for Shakthar to return home? Kinda sucks to build a fancy new ground only to have it shelved by rockets...
No. And no. The city of Donetsk is still controlled by terrorists.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:03 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
Quote:
I agree. The NFL is my favorite professional sport. I like the NBA, but sometimes it feels too drawn out with 82 regular season games and 7 game series.

On the other hand, I think college basketball is a lot more exciting than college football. No personal bias of course.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:05 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
I hate NFL, one of the best things about studying abroad was that I pretty much missed the whole NFL season and all the conversations about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather