Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2021, 11:25 AM

1,567 posts, read 886,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Raleigh - Not subtropical
Wilmington - Subtropical

Nashville - Not subtropical
Memphis - Tossup

Atlanta - Tossup
Savannah - Subtropical

Huntsville - Tossup
Birmingham - Tossup
Montgomery - Subtropical

Shreveport - Subtropical

Jackson - Subtropical

Little Rock - Tossup

Dallas - Subtropical

OKC - not subtropical
Tulsa - not subtropical
Little Rock tossup, Raleigh not subtropical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 11:30 AM

408 posts, read 260,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
It's not about winning or losing, it's about observing the environment.

The plants in Tennessee have decided it's better for them to shed their leaves and go to sleep for a few months whereas plants in other parts of the world have decided it's worth staying awake. Ask yourself: why might the plants behave this way?

Poplar Creek (Tennessee)
Littlelago123, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
Tennessee is on the northern boundary of humid subtropical under Trewartha, it's going to share characteristics with the midwestern humid continental climate, why don't you choose a core southeastern subtropical area, which would be most places in the south Atlantic coastal plain.

The only thing you'd argue against Augusta would be that it's filled with pines which are evergreen but some posters think conifers are cold adapted plants but you'd have exclude almost the entire southeast and even some of the Bahamas from subtropical. I hope you get the sense of how ridiculous that would be.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:42 AM

2,386 posts, read 1,871,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Little Rock tossup, Raleigh not subtropical?
Raleigh has pretty similar weather to the tossup places like Atlanta but it's just that little bit colder that makes a difference on the margins and is enough for me to solidly call it not subtropical.

Compare 2020-2021 temps for Savannah (subtropical), Atlanta (borderline), Raleigh(not subtropical):

How many nights fell below 32f/0c?

Savannah:
December:4
Jan:1
Feb:2
Total: 7

Atlanta:
December:7
Jan:6
Feb:4
Total: 17

Raleigh:
November:1
December:10
Jan:15
Feb:8
March:2
April:1
Total:37

Now being only based on last year's numbers this is somewhat anecdotal. I will run the numbers on more years of data at some point, but Raleigh does have January mean lows below freezing, which is a terrible sign for it being subtropical. I want to say someplace with <10 nights below freezing (in addition to the other metrics, and in the specific context of these SE places) is a good threshold for true subtropical. 10-30 days being borderline, 30+ being not subtropical

Old 10-27-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Raleigh - Not subtropical
Wilmington - Subtropical

Nashville - Not subtropical
Memphis - Tossup

Atlanta - Tossup
Savannah - Subtropical

Huntsville - Tossup
Birmingham - Tossup
Montgomery - Subtropical

Shreveport - Subtropical

Jackson - Subtropical

Little Rock - Tossup

Dallas - Subtropical

OKC - not subtropical
Tulsa - not subtropical
Raleigh and Memphis are nearly identical, Raleigh is colder only by like a degree.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:57 AM

2,386 posts, read 1,871,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
Raleigh and Memphis are nearly identical, Raleigh is colder only by like a degree.
Yeah the winter lows (really the only thing I'm looking at) are around 2-3 degrees colder in Raleigh than Memphis. You have to draw the line somewhere, right? I would be fine saying noplace in TN is subtropical honestly. Memphis is a stretch to call it that.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:04 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,663,890 times
Quote:
Yeah the winter lows (really the only thing I'm looking at) are around 2-3 degrees colder in Raleigh than Memphis. You have to draw the line somewhere, right? I would be fine saying noplace in TN is subtropical honestly. Memphis is a stretch to call it that.
Memphis misses my mark of 6°C by 0.4°C, with a January Mean of 5.6°C

Old 10-27-2021, 12:06 PM

5,753 posts, read 3,541,930 times
Quote:
Tennessee is on the northern boundary of humid subtropical under Trewartha, it's going to share characteristics with the midwestern humid continental climate, why don't you choose a core southeastern subtropical area, which would be most places in the south Atlantic coastal plain.
The reason I did not choose a "core" subtropical area is because I never disputed that places from Savannah on south are subtropical: they clearly are. This is Savannah in January.

Wright Square Savannah 2021
Antony-22, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Quote:
The only thing you'd argue against Augusta would be that it's filled with pines which are evergreen but some posters think conifers are cold adapted plants but you'd have exclude almost the entire southeast and even some of the Bahamas from subtropical. I hope you get the sense of how ridiculous that would be.
What I'd argue against Augusta has nothing to do with the pines.

Macy's Auto Center - Augusta Mall Augusta, GA December 2017
MikeKalasnik, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Old 10-27-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
The reason I did not choose a "core" subtropical area is because I never disputed that places from Savannah on south are subtropical: they clearly are. This is Savannah in January.

Wright Square Savannah 2021
Antony-22, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

What I'd argue against Augusta has nothing to do with the pines.

Macy's Auto Center - Augusta Mall Augusta, GA December 2017
MikeKalasnik, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
More ridiculous cherry picking, I can do that too, winter pic of Aiken which is slighter colder than Augusta. I think the Aiken pic looks better too.

All this cherry picking and you've proven absolutely nothing at all, give it a rest.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:15 PM

5,753 posts, read 3,541,930 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Knowing that it's a continuum it makes sense to draw the line where the gradient from continental to subtropical is steepest. This seems to be somewhere around coldest-month mean temperatures in the 6-10 °C range. I would favour the higher end of this range but could be convinced otherwise.

Somebody is always going to feel short-changed when their hometown misses out on the subtropical paradise label but that's not new. I've been here for 10 years and this kind of thing was already old by the time I joined. First it was wavehunter, then Junter, now there's a whole new generation. Love it.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:21 PM

861 posts, read 706,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Memphis misses my mark of 6°C by 0.4°C, with a January Mean of 5.6°C
As it turns out, a good amount of climate scientists also agree with 6 C. Plus thinking about it I agree with it too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesothermal

According to this Wikipedia article, 6 C is approximately the line demarcating year-round photosynthesis which makes sense because that is the temperature threshold for plant growth where I live.

Map shows where (20 years ago) the 6 C line was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather