Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2021, 05:59 AM

29,546 posts, read 19,640,423 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/Skilling/status/...091085826?s=20

Could get over 6 inches of snow tomorrow. Finally

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 12-31-2021 at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 06:32 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Well, I live on the Ohio River and the forecast here is currently only at 40% chance of rain today and that won't start until later Friday night. Tomorrow (Saturday) with the real rain event, the forecast is for 1-2 inches, Sunday the chance of rain decreases to 34%. I very much doubt I'll get anywhere near the massive rainfall you think is going to happen this weekend.
The chances of over 3.00” are actually very high because of the well above average precipitable water values, low level moisture, and dew points that are off the charts for this time of year.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:00 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,270,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Apart from Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio, all the locations out of Pensacola, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Gainesville, Tampa, Orlando, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville Beach, St. Augustine, St. Marys, Savannah, Charleston, Mobile, New Orleans, Ocracoke, and Cape Hatteras that I am tracking still have yet to get to 0 Celsius or below.

Even the 3 that will are only going to get it on New Year's Day. For Dallas that's 50 days late (avg. November 12), and while Wikipedia does not give the exact averages for Austin and San Antonio, it would be around a month late taking mean minima as reference.

Nice contrast to Winter Storm Uri.
Savannah, Charleston, Mobile, and Tallahassee did have their freezes ... it's just that they occurred in late November, so just before the official meteorological winter.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:29 AM

2,831 posts, read 1,416,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemahkami View Post
Savannah, Charleston, Mobile, and Tallahassee did have their freezes ... it's just that they occurred in late November, so just before the official meteorological winter.
Yes, my bad, the parts where just searching for a weather forecast gives the forecast from didn't get frost yet. I have been monitoring them since November 1 and got nothing in that regard.

I think this discrepancy can be explained by where just searching for their weather gives the weather from vs where the frosts are reported from.
My understanding is that the frosts/freezes are reported from the inland/not downtown airports of the cities (which would be colder than downtown, coastal or not), while just searching for the weather of those places gives a forecast from downtown.

The Mobile airport, Hunter Army Airfield, and Charleston airport are all inland compared to downtown Mobile, Savannah, and Charleston, so it's unsurprising that they got frost while the downtown areas did not.

Wikipedia has data for both downtown and airports in the cases of Mobile and Charleston, so it's easy to see what I mean when you compare the 2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile,_Alabama#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charle...rolina#Climate

Not to mention that I had this discussion with BullochResident earlier in this thread. In the case of Charleston/Savannah, it was stated that the areas away from the beaches had the growing season end, whereas the beaches, where the weather forecasts appear to be from, did not.

As for the case of Tallahassee, the airport (where this November freeze you are referring to happened) is away from downtown, so it's unsurprising that it got a freeze while downtown did not. TimeAndDate gives a low of -1 Celsius to Tallahassee airport on November 24, the same day I had saw a +1 degree Celsius low for downtown Tallahassee.

So I guess I'll need to clarify that I mean downtown/coastal when I next report on those places.

edit: Oh and by the way, I use astronomical seasons instead of meteorological. Just thought it might be worth noting since it was mentioned.

Last edited by Can't think of username; 12-31-2021 at 07:41 AM..

Old 12-31-2021, 09:23 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,224,091 times
We are scheduled to get rain today in western Oregon, but at our elevation (1100 ft) only snow so far. I would love to see some heavy rain to melt the snow, but would hate to see snow melt in the Cascades. We need the snow pack to help with spring runoff and fill the reservoirs. Weather does what it wants to no matter what we want. I think we are getting out of this drought, which is great.

Old 12-31-2021, 12:47 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,220,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
https://twitter.com/Skilling/status/...091085826?s=20

Could get over 6 inches of snow tomorrow. Finally

Per the European model the Canadian model ensemble is showing lows approaching-30 F in areas of central Indiana just north of Indy around January 8th or so…………..

Old 12-31-2021, 01:44 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,224,091 times
Little bit of snow/rain so far in Oregon, but still only 33 F. Snow is not melting very fast.

Old 12-31-2021, 04:44 PM

749 posts, read 419,308 times
Currently, here in Downeast, Maine...31F Degrees, Dewpoint 31F Degrees, Winds ESE 2mph, Gusts 4mph, Thick Fog!
We ate our breakfast with our fellow patriots at our local diner!
A skiff of snow still clung to the ground and made it interesting for the birds under the birdfeeder...
Enjoyed the day in my Beloved's company...
It was a rare day, indeed!
A day of rest and reflection...
A day of gratitude!
We ate at our local Brewery for Supper!
Laughing and cheering amongst those seeking comfort...
and perhaps hope!
There's plenty to offer...
We've been through thick and thin!
Through richer and poorer!
and sickness and in health...
we've been!
Out here, in Downeast, Maine...
"Those from Away!"
they call us...
and now and then, locals say!
Wish we had more of ya....
and thankful you've stayed!
Just a light in the darkness...
Shining hope into this New Year!

Old 12-31-2021, 06:58 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,357,409 times
Got up to 84F today which is just 1F short of the all time record high of 85F for the month of December! The past two days it got up to 83F.

Without today's temps included, this December will be 12.1F warmer than normal! 1.5F warmer than the previous warmest December on record (1933).

Old 12-31-2021, 07:02 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Apart from Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio, all the locations out of Pensacola, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Gainesville, Tampa, Orlando, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville Beach, St. Augustine, St. Marys, Savannah, Charleston, Mobile, New Orleans, Ocracoke, and Cape Hatteras that I am tracking still have yet to get to 0 Celsius or below.

Even the 3 that will are only going to get it on New Year's Day. For Dallas that's 50 days late (avg. November 12), and while Wikipedia does not give the exact averages for Austin and San Antonio, it would be around a month late taking mean minima as reference.

Nice contrast to Winter Storm Uri.
Alexandria LA's airport hasn't recorded a freeze yet this season (lowest temp has been 34F), though other stations in the area have got down to 32F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather