Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical?
NZ 4 16.67%
Virginia 12 50.00%
Both in their way 3 12.50%
Not sure it is too hard to really know 0 0%
Depends what part of each place 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 01:23 PM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times

Advertisements

Northern /Central NZ isn't a good comp for Virginia in the winter. The arguments for Virginia comes in the other seasons of the year. You have to go a little further south, but not much further, before US winters become comparable to Auckland. Around Charleston they are similar average temps 11-12 range and average highs are 15+ in Charleston in the winter time.

Of course there is no question that Charleston overall is more subtropical than Auckland. After all 6 months of the year averages 20+ (warmer than any month in Auckland) and summer lows average around 25 degrees (hotter than the average highs in Auckland) it actually feels like an equatorial climate in midsummer Charleston

Richmond at least it is a fair competition for Auckland. Putting Auckland against Charleston is like putting Richmond against Brisbane etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 01:23 PM

376 posts, read 94,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX View Post
That's across all three winter months is it?

Well in that case Virginia typically reaches 24 C (with several over 20 C), -AND-, get this, also attains minimum temperatures of 17+ C

I don't think you understand what 'warmth' really is old mate
Lol! Why I I just do one winter month.

These is the overfed, over diagnosed, over medicated world we live in now I guess, one moment is touchy Feely "out of the ,moment", next its someone trying to convince me I can't feel warm in winter.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:28 PM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
It hit 25c here today and sunny. Very nice early spring day. A little cooler next week though

Old 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Well there's no use in trying to convince YOU because clearly you're accustomed to cold summers... because after all "it's all relative" remember?
;^ D

Just shot yourself in the foot with that one without even realising it, ol joey mate
I've have a cold summer, so 19C wouldn't feel warm in winter?

Is this some sort of aussie high country homespun logic?

Old 03-21-2024, 06:33 PM

Quote:
More like because your summers are so cool, what's 'warm' to you is a lot cooler than what's warm to most people (especially Americans). Basically, what YOU find 'warm' doesn't apply to Americans and others with much warmer climates.

All this proves is that Motueka is, in fact, a cool climate
If your winter average maximum is 7c, then 19 c would feel warm, wherever you live.

Yep, motueka is cool oceanic, no argument from me.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:28 PM

5,720 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Motueka is warmer in winter than anywhere in Virginia.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, and Macquarie Island has 'warmer' winters than Edmonton. Not exactly a brag there old mate.

Onto the topic of Edmonton vs Macquarie Island... despite being warmer in the annual mean, Macquarie Island would FEEL colder and more polar across the year- it's not even close. Which shows that summer is by far the most important season.
Your logic is non existent. If a place has an average maximum of 9c during a winter month, 19c will feel warm. That's just a basic response living organisms have to the world around them.

It has nothing to do with the weather in 6 months time.

I remember a poster arguing that Quebec city would feel a warmer climate than motueka because the summer was 1C warmer.

Last edited by sandshark; 03-21-2024 at 11:54 PM..

Old 03-22-2024, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, it will feel warm to LOCALS - but not to outsiders from warmer climates like Virginia, where 19 C is a fairly regular winter temperature and is not unheard of as a minimum temperature.

And what other posters try to argue, doesn't concern me. Quebec City also has cold summers that are accentuated by its very cold shoulder seasons, so IMO its summers are colder than Motueka's. Whereas Virginias has longer and hotter summers than Lismore at 28.9 S, nevermind Motueka. Not even close to being a comparison.
It will feel warm for the simple fact that it is 10c warmer than the average day and probably in excess of 20c warmer than the coldest days. Virginians are some very fine people, but they feel warm and cold, just like the rest if us.

Quebec city is an example of where your simple logic an lead.

I' m not making comparisons to Virginia, only my original point that Auckland does get weather of tropical genesis during winter, then it's mostly just correcting your incorrect assumptions.

Last edited by sandshark; 03-22-2024 at 01:48 AM..

Old 03-22-2024, 05:53 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Yes, it will feel warm to LOCALS - but not to outsiders from warmer climates like Virginia, where 19 C is a fairly regular winter temperature and is not unheard of as a minimum temperature.

And what other posters try to argue, doesn't concern me. Quebec City also has cold summers that are accentuated by its very cold shoulder seasons, so IMO its summers are colder than Motueka's. Whereas Virginias has longer and hotter summers than Lismore at 28.9 S, nevermind Motueka. Not even close to being a comparison.
I wouldn’t call Quebec’s average July high of 25C cold, it’s definitely warm, especially with the higher humidity levels.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:44 PM

5,720 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Quote:
Yes, and Macquarie Island has 'warmer' winters than Edmonton. Not exactly a brag there old mate.

Onto the topic of Edmonton vs Macquarie Island... despite being warmer in the annual mean, Macquarie Island would FEEL colder and more polar across the year- it's not even close. Which shows that summer is by far the most important season.
That's certainly not true: winter is far and away more impactful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather