Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 AM

14 posts, read 15,200 times

Advertisements

What's the job market like in Charleston and Huntington? I know everyone I've spoken to in West Virginia so far has been extremely nice, unlike the people here in Arizona! OMG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 10:00 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamskate View Post
What's the job market like in Charleston and Huntington? I know everyone I've spoken to in West Virginia so far has been extremely nice, unlike the people here in Arizona! OMG!
WV isnt doing bad right, like many parts of the country. Morgantown has the lowest unemployment rate in the country and one of the strongest economies in the nation right now, Eastern Panhandle near DC is doing great to. Charleston is doing ok. Rural WV and the south are doing very bad. The best economic area is still North Central WV focused around Morgantown.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:54 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Charleston is experiencing a great period of job creation and growth right now. Lots of new business along with new construction and expansion. I don't know for certain, but Huntington is doing good too. I agree with havoc that southern WV is not doing as good, unless you look at the areas of Beckley, Princeton, and Lewisburg. NCWV and the EP are the fast growing areas of the state, but to be honest most of WV is a great place to live. Our mountains are beautiful, and our people are helpful and fun to be around!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:17 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Im in Rockville right now. If you ever want to train MMA let me know and I can give you some good suggestions.
Oh fantastic....

Old 01-29-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Oh fantastic....
Yep, I dont blame you for following my lead. If I were you I would try to be more like me.

Here is a piece of advice for the area. Moco is nice but it has some tough people in it. Watch what you say here because it is not Marshall where you can threaten people and play it down. Keep in that mind.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:57 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Quote:
Yep, I dont blame you for following my lead. If I were you I would try to be more like me.

Here is a piece of advice for the area. Moco is nice but it has some tough people in it. Watch what you say here because it is not Marshall where you can threaten people and play it down. Keep in that mind.
Basically you're the epitome of everything I DONT want to be

I also hear the area generally doesn't like mentally insane people so you should probably watch yourself too.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Basically you're the epitome of everything I DONT want to be

I also hear the area generally doesn't like mentally insane people so you should probably watch yourself too.
Sure, sure, you say that than follow me.

Also, this area is full of crazy people, and most of them wont respond positively when challenged to duels. You are misinformed. On the upside MMA is popular here.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:27 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
Quote:
Has anyone lived in Charleston or Huntington, WV? If so, what is it like? Is it city or country?
I use to visit a former gf in Huntington when she was attending Marshall School of Medicine. It's a small city atmosphere but the university makes it more cosmopolitan than just another town. I was there quite a bit and I loved the place. Easy to get around, the countryside was beautiful and if you like any outdoor activity then it was a perfect. Cost of living was very reasonable but my context is based on living in San Francisco, L.A. and New York. To directly answer your question far more city than country, though country wasn't too far away....

Old 01-30-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
I use to visit a former gf in Huntington when she was attending Marshall School of Medicine. It's a small city atmosphere but the university makes it more cosmopolitan than just another town. I was there quite a bit and I loved the place. Easy to get around, the countryside was beautiful and if you like any outdoor activity then it was a perfect. Cost of living was very reasonable but my context is based on living in San Francisco, L.A. and New York. To directly answer your question far more city than country, though country wasn't too far away....
Huntington is not expensive at all, you dont need to compare to 3 of the most expensive cities in the to make it seem cheap.

~Ive heard that there is another university across the river from it in Ohio too.~ disregard that. Meant Marietta in Parkersburg.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 01-30-2012 at 08:01 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 07:47 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
Quote:
Huntington is not expensive at all, you dont need to compare to 3 of the most expensive cities in the to make it seem cheap.

Ive heard that there is another university across the river from it in Ohio too.
Uh-huh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia