Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:27 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
So in other words you cant find an actual problems nor do you have any evidence this is wrong. Your argument is basically, "This maybe is wrong, but I have no proof of this." If you dont mind Ill stick to the actual research over YOUR assumption that is not based on anything. If you have taken the classes you said you have you would understand.
My argument is that 1. the questions are subjective - sure they use behaviorists and the like to come up with the questions/self-ratings, but they are still subjective 2. those answering are providing subjective self-assessment answers. 3. the highest score and the lowest score are within 3 points of the margin of error for the small sample size - in other words, there isn't really a whole lot of difference.
My employer uses Gallup to measure employee engagement. The survey is taken over a two week period once per year. It has a certain degree of accuracy, particularly for the organization as a whole, but one of the questions is "Do you have a best friend at work" This is one of 12 key questions. Let's say I dont, so I answer "strongly disagree" This one answer lowers the entire engagement score by several percentage points for my local sample group - just because I dont have a best friend at work. I may be the most engaged employee in the company, but I just don't happen to have a best friend - see how that works?
Considering WV is one of the poorest states, and one of the oldest populations, and older people are generally less optimistic than younger people - that's a fact. So no, doesn't surprise me WV is a little lower than most other states, but it's not a huge difference, and folks aren't jumping off bridges in Charleston, Huntington or Morgantown to my knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
My argument is that 1. the questions are subjective - sure they use behaviorists and the like to come up with the questions/self-ratings, but they are still subjective 2. those answering are providing subjective self-assessment answers. 3. the highest score and the lowest score are within 3 points of the margin of error for the small sample size - in other words, there isn't really a whole lot of difference.
My employer uses Gallup to measure employee engagement. The survey is taken over a two week period once per year. It has a certain degree of accuracy, particularly for the organization as a whole, but one of the questions is "Do you have a best friend at work" This is one of 12 key questions. Let's say I dont, so I answer "strongly disagree" This one answer lowers the entire engagement score by several percentage points for my local sample group - just because I dont have a best friend at work. I may be the most engaged employee in the company, but I just don't happen to have a best friend - see how that works?
Considering WV is one of the poorest states, and one of the oldest populations, and older people are generally less optimistic than younger people - that's a fact. So no, doesn't surprise me WV is a little lower than most other states, but it's not a huge difference, and folks aren't jumping off bridges in Charleston, Huntington or Morgantown to my knowledge.

Still nothing.

We already established you refuse to believe this and have taken the, "it could be wrong somehow," approach. It isnt uncommon people do this with global warming, the age of the earth, evolution, and even smoking causing cancer. Seriously there are people who deny that smoking causes cancer just like you deny this.

I am sure that when this area has won this honor in the past too it was also, "maybe wrong."

Look, your opinion and assumption dont stand to the facts. I invite you or anyone else to actually show where this is wrong. To make it easy you can do this only for this most current research, and not past years where the results are the same.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2013, 04:16 PM

6,079 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

No, Chris that is statistical research.

If you have proof that the data is wrong by all means show this.

Facts arent fair and they dont try to be, as fair is an opinion. They are accurate and truthful.

If you have your own statistical proof that this info is wrong share it.
LOLing!!!

Cry you are way to funny!!! I like sharing your comments with my friends sometimes to get a good group chuckle!

Its not a fact unless every single person/situation/issue had been observed and then tested over and over again. The only fact here, is that you are so against these two cities that you will create threads like this and then argue with anyone who tries to comment. This "Report" is based off of research of OPINION POLLS! I'm not saying the report is wrong, but you can't call things fact just because someone said the researched it. An example would be someone saying that everything in the universe revolves around the earth, just because they took some opinions from a select few people here on the planet. Your logic is flawed. And you are the only one here that doesn't understand it.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:29 PM

941 posts, read 1,356,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
LOLing!!!

Cry you are way to funny!!! I like sharing your comments with my friends sometimes to get a good group chuckle!

Its not a fact unless every single person/situation/issue had been observed and then tested over and over again. The only fact here, is that you are so against these two cities that you will create threads like this and then argue with anyone who tries to comment. This "Report" is based off of research of OPINION POLLS! I'm not saying the report is wrong, but you can't call things fact just because someone said the researched it. An example would be someone saying that everything in the universe revolves around the earth, just because they took some opinions from a select few people here on the planet. Your logic is flawed. And you are the only one here that doesn't understand it.
Hahaha too funny. We know if this was Census data that it wouldn't be factual.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:23 PM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Hahaha too funny. We know if this was Census data that it wouldn't be factual.
Well it is apparently based on Census Data. So if Gallup is accurate and it's based on Census Data, that means Census Data must be accurate! How about that!

Quote:
After Gallup collects and processes survey data, each respondent is assigned a weight so that the demographic characteristics of the total weighted sample of respondents match the latest estimates of the demographic characteristics of the adult population available from the U.S. Census Bureau. Gallup weights data to census estimates for gender, race, age, educational attainment, and region.
Public Opinion Polls: How does Gallup Polling Work?

Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 PM

Well I guess that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Lol

Old 06-26-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
LOLing!!!

I am glad you and your friends find facts funny. You must get lots of chuckles reading books about math and science. I wish I could so easily be as amused as you and your friends.

Quote:
Its not a fact unless every single person/situation/issue had been observed and then tested over and over again.
Chris, what you are saying is just stupid. Someday when you take a statistics class, assuming you ever take it, you will understand. Basically your argument is statistics dont exist, because that is what they are based off of. If you have ANY evidence to support that, other than your opinion please share it. If not than that is an ignorant view about statistics.

The only fact here is that Charleston is the most miserable city in the US and Huntington is second. If you have any proof this information is wrong, again other than your opinion, please share it. It would be easier and quicker to actually learn statistics and disprove these facts than to constantly make post of, "It isnt true! I refuse to believe it! I wont believe it," while being unable to find a single flaw with the poll that you can demonstrate.

Quote:
An example would be someone saying that everything in the universe revolves around the earth, just because they took some opinions from a select few people here on the planet. Your logic is flawed. And you are the only one here that doesn't understand it.
That is not how statistics work. A better example is using statistical research to show that the majority of people in Charleston, higher than anywhere else in the world, think that everything in the universe revolves around the Earth.

Like I said I am welcome to any valid criticism of the data are methods that you can demonstrate. If you cant do this the facts stand and you are wasting your time. Seriously you are only proving my point by refusing to believe facts while not being able to find any issues with the actual research.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Well I guess that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Lol
That is why Charleston and Huntington are so fat, and why they are the most depressed cities in the country.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Well it is apparently based on Census Data. So if Gallup is accurate and it's based on Census Data, that means Census Data must be accurate! How about that!

Public Opinion Polls: How does Gallup Polling Work?
. Since Charleston doesnt have any population outside of census population it wouldnt change the results if it wasnt used. Huntington maybe, with research you can show that Marshall somehow changes the data. I look forward to your research.

The level of ignorance about statistical sampling in this thread is amazing. Has nobody here every taken a statistics class?

Last edited by cry_havoc; 06-26-2013 at 07:02 PM..

Old 06-26-2013, 07:34 PM

I have taken probability and statisics, linear models, data analysis, advanced probability, and decision theory. Be careful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia