Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:13 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Umm well that sucks for me too then... I have one my friend lost her job in Sept and got a job this past Nov making awesome money as Cust Service Rep for medical instrument manufactuer.. So theres another one
Same here.. 2nd layoff in January 2011, got my job in May 2011. Coming up on 1 year of steady employment with all the overtime I can eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Read better, TVSG, I have said and long-term unemployed bears it out, they hire employed candidates in many cases when possible, showing a preference towards the employed. Many ads have either stated no unemployed need apply, or by using requirements like current experience only, they do the same thing.

At last report, 4 in 9 unemployed had been out 6 plus months-an all time high percentage (sad).
Yeah I saw that the other day in a job advertisement. "The unemployed will not be considered."

Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:24 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
Moving to another city is an option for those who able. For those who have no money to move, have health problems that would make a move difficult (e.g. insurance issues), or who have to stay behind due to an infirm family member, it's no advice at all.

I've had that recommendation - just move - made several times. For one thing, I'm financially unable to (and have been for the past year). But besides that, moving out would increase expenses and perhaps even get me booted off my health care, since affordable health insurance through the state is only available if you either make what amounts to nothing ($690 / month or lower) or you make somewhat more, but your employer does not provide health insurance as a benefit. It's difficult being caught in the spiral of poverty, disease, and unemployment, and it only seems to get worse as time marches on. I would have been at least tempted to suicide if I was not religious and did not have my mother.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:28 AM

841 posts, read 1,918,020 times
So, what do you do if you live in a place where "It's bad" for jobs and has been for years and there is very little you can do because you can't uproot your family or your children or like someone else said, you don't have any money to move?

Retrain for something? That vague something again that might get you a job in a few years with another load of debt?

What if you have NO idea where to move?

Do you guys think maybe this was the plan all along? Pretty soon most of us will be in retail or service jobs, despite education levels and experience? The only people doing well will be the top 10%?

If you look at cost of living and what basics go for, you can see why there are some very cheap cities and cheap states with houses and apartments that are not very high. The wages and job opportunities in many of them are nil to dire.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:36 AM

428 posts, read 900,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
So, what do you do if you live in a place where "It's bad" for jobs and has been for years and there is very little you can do because you can't uproot your family or your children or like someone else said, you don't have any money to move?

Retrain for something? That vague something again that might get you a job in a few years with another load of debt?

Do you guys think maybe this was the plan all along? Pretty soon most of us will be in retail or service jobs, despite education levels and experience? The only people doing well will be the top 10%?

If you look at cost of living and what basics go for, you can see why there are some very cheap cities and cheap states with houses and apartments that are not very high. The wages and job opportunities in many of them are nil to dire.

Yeah that would be me... Michigan for one, small town for another and couldnt afford to move if I wanted to. Im not sure what I would retrain for I dont want to do industrial, and the only thing in demand here seems to be caregivers I have great respect for those that do it I just cant see me being one of those people being a CNA, nurse assistant or nurse.

The only thing I have going for me is the cost of living isnt so bad here and things for my boyfriend are good since he has good job making decent money with tons of OT. So while Im trying to find the clerical/customer service/bank related/ etc stuff I can do, the bills still get paid. I cant imagine if you lived in larger cities or alone I think I would freaking out every day. But basically for me its like finding a needle in a haystack.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:52 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,381 times
Quote:

Well from my perspective I would rather have a stink load of student debt with a potential to have a much better life and opportunity than have no debt and have to be constrained to a crap market or crap opportunities.

If you take out federal student loans you will not be paying every dime in student loan payments.

You have the option to do an income based repayment that is approximately 15% of your income based on family size and state. After 25 years the loan balance is discharged-- less if you work for a non-profit or government agency (10 years). Federal loans are dischargeable under other conditions such as disability. For the most part-- I think the investment potential for certain degrees are WELL WORTH the risk. Now would I go into a stink load of debt for Art or for Dance? Absolutely not... but for certain careers I would.

I have to say I have a good chunk of student loan debt-- and it is rising due to having to now finance my MBA-- but honestly, the amount of annual salary I make now I would be HARD PRESSED to make without the experience and education I have had in the past. It would have taken me probably another decade to make the same kind of funds. Long term-- with the opportunities coming my way while in school and the network I am building (and seeing the class above me and their job opportunities) I feel very comfortable with the pay off of my debt. And hey if the absolute worst happened, I would be saddled with a lot of debt that I could pay back on the lowest payment schedule offered by the federal loans (IBR)... not a horrible deal for the potential.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,789 times
I went into debt for my career change too...still not sure if it was worth it, but I will say that assuming the borrowers keep in touch and do what they can to remain current, federal student loan debt is probably some of the easier debt to manage.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:

Exactly, most on this board never consider any of that but just continues to say...YOU HAVE TO MOVE!! Move where and how? Like I said the dumbest advice on this board

Old 04-06-2012, 02:20 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,089 times
Sunny I do think it was a plan to have most of us underemployed working retail and low wage service jobs. That is were the job growth will be in future BLS labor reports bare this out. Think fast food retail home health aid ect. Student loan debt passed the trillion dollar mark it is still going. It is the next big bubble to pop. It may even send us into another big recession. We are moving to a new paradigm the top 5% to 10% will do real well. Everyone else will be much poorer in the future

Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 PM

841 posts, read 1,918,020 times
Well, I am pretty frugal and we are raising our son to be. We had to choose just to have one child due to the economy. Either one of us or both of us--meaning my husband--have been out of work at least part of our 20 year marriage.

It is due in part to choices. I stayed home a long time to raise our child.

Also it was due to him not having a degree, me having a degree that pays little, and moving many times to try and have an affordable life.

We're coming to the realization that we may never retire. I just hope we both get a shot at one last good job where we can stack away money. He still wants to own a house again. It's his dream.

My dream is just pay the bills and save a bit and not worry so much about the cost of leaving a light on or the price of groceries skyrocketing.

Yes, Collegeguy, I do agree.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Sunny I do think it was a plan to have most of us underemployed working retail and low wage service jobs. That is were the job growth will be in future BLS labor reports bare this out. Think fast food retail home health aid ect. Student loan debt passed the trillion dollar mark it is still going. It is the next big bubble to pop. It may even send us into another big recession. We are moving to a new paradigm the top 5% to 10% will do real well. Everyone else will be much poorer in the future

I really don't think this country would stand for that, as most of us have had it too good for too long. But if this is really what things are coming to, then we really would be better being communist, at least then we'll all get to be poor, with no elite (provided it's true communism...lol). I'd not mind being poor and broke, provided that there are no rich people running around being our overlords. And to think, in a communist society, you never, ever have to worry about finding a job, a place to live, or the next meal to eat. Sounds like a good life to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment