Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

Not always; what they find are people who want to work, and often its those who see ui ending and have come to accept that a haircut will be required, in order to become employed again. The good news is, being employed again, helps them increase their marketability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Not always; what they find are people who want to work, and often its those who see ui ending and have come to accept that a haircut will be required, in order to become employed again. The good news is, being employed again, helps them increase their marketability.
I wish you stop saying that since I already told you that a friend of mine was unemployed for 9 months and is now doing fine and working in a management position.

You increase your marketability by how you present yourself online and offline. Nothing to do with job status.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Your friend was lucky; most often corps end up hiring someone employed, thus currently doing the exact requirements of the position. Unfortunately, that is partly to blame for the fact long-term unemployed ranks have risen, even over the last 6 months, with decent job growth.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:30 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,729 times
It's all well and good to start people out expecting the moon from them work wise and paying them crap money but once you get in somewhere you just have to be like most people and do the bare minimum.

Let's get real. Anyone with any real experience realizes pretty fast when you start working that maybe 3 or 4 people ACTUALLY do a full day's work at a company. You can see plenty of employed people goofing off, walking around, going to the water fountain, coming in late, and so on.

The few hard workers are the ones the bosses expect to carry everyone else.

Bosses hate to confront workers so they allow the slipshod ones to do the bare minimum and bust the chops of the hard workers.

I've worked at plenty of places and seen this happen over and over again.

When I work hard now, it's for myself.

Were the goof offs ever fired? No? Are the hard workers REALLY rewarded? Sure, with MORE work and the old saying, we all get the same cost of living raises....zero.

I don't doubt people will disagree but this has been my experience.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 PM

Actually, chef-sunny, Many places give far above average raises and bonuses to the top performers, while giving either nada or raises below cost of living factor to deadbeats.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,729 times
Quote:
Actually, chef-sunny, Many places give far above average raises and bonuses to the top performers, while giving either nada or raises below cost of living factor to deadbeats.
I wish I had worked or can work for some of these places. Do they actually exist or do you have to be part of the Old Boys' Club to get in?

Old 04-04-2012, 06:38 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Your friend was lucky; most often corps end up hiring someone employed, thus currently doing the exact requirements of the position. Unfortunately, that is partly to blame for the fact long-term unemployed ranks have risen, even over the last 6 months, with decent job growth.
My female friend who was unemployed since July starts her new job on 4/9

My male friend who was unemployed since August started his job on 4/2

So they were lucky too?

Old 04-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Yes, TVSG, simply because for ever one unemployed finding work, and I have a cousin out 5.5 months starting 4/9, there were most likely dozens hired, who were employed. That is the reason despite 200k new jobs per month lately, the long-term unemployment rate has kept rising.

Think about how many on this board have been out 2 plus years, as well as those out months, and notice how few have found any new job even during this period where nationally we are adding 200k per month.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:52 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Yes, TVSG, simply because for ever one unemployed finding work, and I have a cousin out 5.5 months starting 4/9, there were most likely dozens hired, who were employed. That is the reason despite 200k new jobs per month lately, the long-term unemployment rate has kept rising.

Think about how many on this board have been out 2 plus years, as well as those out months, and notice how few have found any new job even during this period where nationally we are adding 200k per month.
The people you who are referring to the most are those with limited work experience and education background.

Most people with Bachelor's Degrees average time to find a job is 8 to 9 months in the city of Philadelphia.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:57 PM

Degrees help some, but its across the board, and there are thousands of degreed people working as baristas, and the average time does not account for underemployment vs unemployment. Truthfully, the government should punlish U6 rates by metropolitan region, instead of just a national average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment