Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:54 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Degrees help some, but its across the board, and there are thousands of degreed people working as baristas, and the average time does not account for underemployment vs unemployment. Truthfully, the government should punlish U6 rates by metropolitan region, instead of just a national average.
They do publish such numbers. Go to the BLS website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 PM

428 posts, read 900,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
My female friend who was unemployed since July starts her new job on 4/9

My male friend who was unemployed since August started his job on 4/2

So they were lucky too?

Regardless of the reason good for them....

Old 04-04-2012, 09:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Regardless of the reason good for them....
He keeps trying to say that employers only hire employed candidates when i have given him many examples why that is not true.

Now maybe some do because when I had my phone screening the recruiter asked me..."are you working now? I said no and I was never contacted again-lol

Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM

428 posts, read 900,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
He keeps trying to say that employers only hire employed candidates when i have given him many examples why that is not true.

Now maybe some do because when I had my phone screening the recruiter asked me..."are you working now? I said no and I was never contacted again-lol
Umm well that sucks for me too then... I have one my friend lost her job in Sept and got a job this past Nov making awesome money as Cust Service Rep for medical instrument manufactuer.. So theres another one

Old 04-05-2012, 06:55 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Read better, TVSG, I have said and long-term unemployed bears it out, they hire employed candidates in many cases when possible, showing a preference towards the employed. Many ads have either stated no unemployed need apply, or by using requirements like current experience only, they do the same thing.

At last report, 4 in 9 unemployed had been out 6 plus months-an all time high percentage (sad).

Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I wish I had worked or can work for some of these places. Do they actually exist or do you have to be part of the Old Boys' Club to get in?
I wonder too. I worked for my company 18 months before I found out only certain positions are eligible for pay increases and mine is not one of them. Both my husband and I are stuck in these type of low wage jobs.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,025 times
Quote:
I wish I had worked or can work for some of these places. Do they actually exist or do you have to be part of the Old Boys' Club to get in?
They exist. My last two companies offered A LOT of performance pay for the highest ranked workers.

I would make approximately 60% of my base as extra bonus payments increasing my base handsomely.

GE is another company that follows a performance system.... The lower portion of the productive scale usually get "laid off"

Old 04-05-2012, 03:39 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
Thumbs up Very true

I've seen it myself at many large (Fortune 500) companies. Maybe it's easier to get away with it there (large employers) than at small to medium sized companies, but it definitely happens. Sort of the 80/20 rule. And companies don't always lay-off the deadbeats . Office politics usually aren't that fair.

Quote:
It's all well and good to start people out expecting the moon from them work wise and paying them crap money but once you get in somewhere you just have to be like most people and do the bare minimum.

Let's get real. Anyone with any real experience realizes pretty fast when you start working that maybe 3 or 4 people ACTUALLY do a full day's work at a company. You can see plenty of employed people goofing off, walking around, going to the water fountain, coming in late, and so on.

The few hard workers are the ones the bosses expect to carry everyone else.

Bosses hate to confront workers so they allow the slipshod ones to do the bare minimum and bust the chops of the hard workers.

I've worked at plenty of places and seen this happen over and over again.

When I work hard now, it's for myself.

Were the goof offs ever fired? No? Are the hard workers REALLY rewarded? Sure, with MORE work and the old saying, we all get the same cost of living raises....zero.

I don't doubt people will disagree but this has been my experience.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
I've seen it myself at many large (Fortune 500) companies. Maybe it's easier to get away with it there (large employers) than at small to medium sized companies, but it definitely happens. Sort of the 80/20 rule. And companies don't always lay-off the deadbeats . Office politics usually aren't that fair.
That's true, they layoff the people who are not well liked. I see it happen the entire year of 2010

Old 04-05-2012, 04:04 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
It's nothing new, don't be under any illusion on that score. "Twas always thus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment