Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,942,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've known several people over the years who have spent time in jail and from what they've told me while they'd rather be elsewhere its not as bad as tv makes it out to be and the sex thing isnt as prevalent as your imagination is telling you it is.
The idea behind the topic was would it be preferable in your later life (60+)to be incarcerated than living on the streets if your life took a financial turn for the worse.?,
Yes, this happens. My uncle has been doing this for going on 10 years now. He was perpetually unemployed and homeless. So he started doing petty things that would net him a few months to a couple years in prison. He'd get out, be homeless, and break the law just bad enough to get back in. Like you said, he also told me once 'it wasn't as bad in there as you are led to believe. You get used to it.' But I'm sure this varies by institution, security level, etc. He once admitted he had given up and was using jail to keep a roof over his head and food in his belly. I don't know, he was a pretty hard guy to begin with so it's relative. Personally, I think our penal system promotes this. Once a felon, good luck getting a job once out. This only increases the chances you'll go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 09:12 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,141,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I've never been in jail either... but I do have a cousin serving life in Florida for murder and a high school friend serving 30 years in Florida for sexual conduct with a minor under 12.

Not proud of the fact by any means and I have no plans to visit. I've talked to both of them a few times over the years and they have never once mentioned how bad it is in prison. In fact, both told me that their time spent in the county jail while awaiting trial was much worse with bad treatment and bad food. I've heard nothing but good things about the prisons they were sent to after conviction.

My "country club" comment on the previous page was based on what they've told me... and my cousin even has a TV in his cell.
One of the reasons for this, is that if they mention how bad it is, there is immediete retribution form guards and prison staff. Even if loved ones of inmates complain too much to DOC, you can bet the inmate will be put in the hole, lose gain time, no family vists, no commissary , etc....and those are the good things that can happen to him. What's worse is C/O's who will give preferential treatment to other inmates to "take care" of the complainer.

Most FL as well as Southern Prisons have no heat or A/C, food is barely fit for human consumption, it's anything but "Club Fed". I had a high school aqauantence who went in on a minor sex charge and he awoke one morning to 10 inmates swinging locks in socks just waiting for the door to open. It's no picnic, it's hell right here on earth.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 AM

455 posts, read 633,618 times
Based on these posts and the attitude therein I must assume you have never had your
FREEDOM taken away, the sheer ignorance here is astonishing !

Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
Based on these posts and the attitude therein I must assume you have never had your
FREEDOM taken away, the sheer ignorance here is astonishing !
RE-Read post 38..

Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 AM

There is very little similarity between county jail and prison, also prison is quite different depending on the security level you are placed in, there is 5 different levels I believe.A young white kid placed in with hardened criminals will be raped beaten etc, the guards will laugh it off.Some old guy on a lower level it could resemble a ward of some sort, fighting boredom.I have seen some prisons that are almost self sustaining where the inmates work and do everthing like farming/carpentry etc.Thats the best model I have seen.

I've spent about 9 months in jail myself, was once beaten unconscious for failing to leave a tier where I was not wanted, attacked by
4 or 5 HUGE black dudes.The guards laughed mightily ! They asked me if I wanted a cig, when I said yes, they refused and laughed a little more !!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Sorry to hear your stay in jail didnt go to well but if i was 60+ i'd rather take my chances in jail most of the time rather than sleeping out in the cold all winter. I have memories of sleeping under overpasses and abandoned buildings or just under a tree while being very hungry and wondering if i would freeze to death overnight, my youth was what contributed to my survival, summers werent as tough.,now at 65 i doubt i'd last one winter night out in the elements..
Again the topic is about in these days when so many have fallen on hard times is there a trend toward people using jail as a last resort lifestyle and would you consider it...

Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,528,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sorry to hear your stay in jail didnt go to well but if i was 60+ i'd rather take my chances in jail most of the time rather than sleeping out in the cold all winter. I have memories of sleeping under overpasses and abandoned buildings or just under a tree while being very hungry and wondering if i would freeze to death overnight, my youth was what contributed to my survival, summers werent as tough.,now at 65 i doubt i'd last one winter night out in the elements..
Again the topic is about in these days when so many have fallen on hard times is there a trend toward people using jail as a last resort lifestyle and would you consider it...
That seems like poor resoning. Hitchhike to a warm climate.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 AM

In the future we may need more "resource" for this situation.I think it would be a wise idea to set
up areas where people with nothing can go and live in a commune type situation, like many of the prisons in certain states are nearly self supporting (ohio is a good example, Angola also) as to not be such a drain on society and meet a need. As to the OP, it is not a good idea, sets a bad precedent. We need to stop disposing of people and criminalizing society.
I used to be a nurse, starting having problems with drinking, they revoked my license, things got much worse.Now, I have a felony on my record (DUI, no accident) I have quit drinking and smoking.All I can do is hope the judge will set-aside the felony dui, at which point I can go back to school and work.If he does not I am a deadman walking and may as well commit suicide.I do not wish and won't live such an undignified existence.This criminalizing business is gonna create more problems than we need.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
In the future we may need more "resource" for this situation.I think it would be a wise idea to set
up areas where people with nothing can go and live in a commune type situation, .
Good idea.. My Mom has told me i spent the first 6 months of my life (1946)in a place called a workhouse in England.Never Did ask Dad what happened
Workhouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 PM

841 posts, read 1,918,645 times
I can't imagine anything worse than going to jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment