Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:35 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,772 times

Advertisements

I can't believe there is a thread on this topic. Even homeless people still have their FREEDOM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 07:38 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
More people than one might suspect. They're called Democrats. More than willing to exchange their freedoms and their right to seek success independently for a government issued dose of prosperity. Hurry up and grab a spot on the plantation before the productive class is completely cashed out...

Old 10-08-2012, 07:43 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
i would consider it if this was norway..their prisons are better than my actual house..

Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i would consider it if this was norway..their prisons are better than my actual house..
Then go over to Norway and commit crimes if you really like their prisons so much....

Although they look like nice apartments decked out with flat screen tvs, you are still behind bars, meaning you can't leave. I'd rather have my freedom.

PHOTOS: Inside Norway's luxurious Halden jail - Rediff.com News

The jail where every prisoner gets a flat-screen TV and private shower - Yahoo! News

Old 10-08-2012, 08:11 PM

488 posts, read 554,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Because you hear all the time about ex-cons going back to prison because it's all they know... but I've never heard of anyone deliberately getting themselves sent to prison to avoid homelessness.

I guess it happens though... pretty pathetic if you ask me. That's the country club lifestyle of our prison system today though with the free room and board, cable TV... etc... etc... etc...
I saw it happen once on an especially cold winter night. He had tried shelters, family, friends, but couldn't find a warm place that night. He got himself arrested on a trespassing charge so he could spend a couple of nights out of the cold. Compared to the rest of his criminal history the trespass charge was nothing. He really had nothing to lose.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
More people than one might suspect. They're called Democrats. More than willing to exchange their freedoms and their right to seek success independently for a government issued dose of prosperity. Hurry up and grab a spot on the plantation before the productive class is completely cashed out...
Hello!! I'm Democrat and I'm not giving up my freedom willingly!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
I saw it happen once on an especially cold winter night. He had tried shelters, family, friends, but couldn't find a warm place that night. He got himself arrested on a trespassing charge so he could spend a couple of nights out of the cold. Compared to the rest of his criminal history the trespass charge was nothing. He really had nothing to lose.
Bah, I've been on motorcycle trips and for various reasons not wanted to get a hotel.

Rest areas, restaurants, (coffee is cheap) hospitals are always open, I could think of several more if I tried...

Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I wonder how many down and out adults who have basically nothing choose prison as a lifestyle, granted your freedoms are a bit limited but on the up side free room and board,free health-care,basically all your needs taken care of..And if there is a growing number of people pursuing this lifestyle what are the lesser crimes being committed to get you on this gravy train.
If i was single and in my senior years of life with no means of support i'd certainly entertain the thought of prison as a lifestyle alternative to being homeless and on the streets,,
I think it takes a very insightful person to post a question like that.

Taken one step further and comparing a person's life in the US that is at the lower 10% of the economic realm:

There are already people living in "prison" in the US although without the guards and cells. If you take someone that makes minimum wage, working at a dead end job, without medical insurance, in a studio apartment in a high crime neighborhood, without a vehicle, barely enough money to survive off of and no hope for the future - someone like that is already in prison although they are living an illusion that they are free, all while working for what little they have: when if they were in prison, their medical care, room, basic necessities, food, etc would all be paid for including utilities. If you took a person in that situation and they got out of prison after ten years, they might even be better off than someone that was living the life I described out in the world for ten years. Including unable to get medical care, bills accumulating over the course of a decade, wear and tear on their body from working (for peanuts) and maybe even periods of time of homelessness and/or unemployment causing health problems.

So, great question. There is a percentage of people already in the US that are basically already in prison in every possible way imaginable, including psychologically, emotionally and financially. The goal of the neo-facist federal government is ultimately to imprison everyone through endless regulations, IRS tax code, increasing laws against behavior that has no consequences and/or victims (like marijuana use) and a corporatist economic system (sold to the public as 'capitalism' although it is like capitalism with cancer) and financial theft through manipulation of the stock market, Federal Reserve statist monetary policy and government induced inflation.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:59 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Because you hear all the time about ex-cons going back to prison because it's all they know... but I've never heard of anyone deliberately getting themselves sent to prison to avoid homelessness.

I guess it happens though... pretty pathetic if you ask me. That's the country club lifestyle of our prison system today though with the free room and board, cable TV... etc... etc... etc...

You never heard of someone doing this to avoid homelessness? Read about the guy that robbed a bank for $1 to go to jail because he was homeless.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:01 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
I think it takes a very insightful person to post a question like that.

Taken one step further and comparing a person's life in the US that is at the lower 10% of the economic realm:

There are already people living in "prison" in the US although without the guards and cells. If you take someone that makes minimum wage, working at a dead end job, without medical insurance, in a studio apartment in a high crime neighborhood, without a vehicle, barely enough money to survive off of and no hope for the future - someone like that is already in prison although they are living an illusion that they are free, all while working for what little they have: when if they were in prison, their medical care, room, basic necessities, food, etc would all be paid for including utilities. If you took a person in that situation and they got out of prison after ten years, they might even be better off than someone that was living the life I described out in the world for ten years. Including unable to get medical care, bills accumulating over the course of a decade, wear and tear on their body from working (for peanuts) and maybe even periods of time of homelessness and/or unemployment causing health problems.

So, great question. There is a percentage of people already in the US that are basically already in prison in every possible way imaginable, including psychologically, emotionally and financially. The goal of the neo-facist federal government is ultimately to imprison everyone through endless regulations, IRS tax code, increasing laws against behavior that has no consequences and/or victims (like marijuana use) and a corporatist economic system (sold to the public as 'capitalism' although it is like capitalism with cancer) and financial theft through manipulation of the stock market, Federal Reserve statist monetary policy and government induced inflation.
Excellent post. I believe you are right, sir.

I was just thinking about this the other day when I heard the word 'freedom' on one of those ridiculous political ads on TV now (I just happened to be in the other room when one of them was on, I REFUSE to watch them or listen to them usually)...anyway, I got to thinking, are we REALLY 'free' in this country right now? Unless you are loaded? Anyone who isn't in that proverbial 1% IMO is just as much in prison as actual prisoners. Except they get to decide what to eat every day. That's about it. WHen you don't have money, you are not free. I certainly don't feel free to do what I please, I HAVE to go to my crappy job, I HAVE to pay bills, I HAVE to stay home all the time because there's no money extra to do anything, etc. etc.

I may just start a thread in great debates...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment